Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #1651
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

**INTERMISSION - Part 1**
Disney's Grand Californian Hotel weekend

Before the next installment I wanted to insert an intermission from the weekend we spent at DLR for Em's 18th Birthday. We had already booked dinner at Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Hotel so it made sense to stay the night at the hotel. The only problem was they were booked solid. I called to see if there were any rooms available - nope. Two weeks out I stalked the website daily to see if there was anything at any of the Disneyland hotels - nope. Finally a few days before her birthday a room opened up.

There was a passholder rate available on a room at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. They only had a resort view room available but I wasn't going to complain. The winter passholder deal included 2 fastpasses per person and a 5x7 photopass photo.

This will be narrative light updates from the 2 nights we spent at DLR.

Check in at hotel:

View from room:

Dinner at Napa Rose:
This is such a beautiful restaurant that is reminiscent of California Grill. There's so many wonderful entrees here. I've had the short ribs a couple times but this visit I strayed from that favorite and had the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin which was excellent.

Note: Napa Rose is the only Disneyland resort restaurant that I am aware that does not accept AP discounts.

World of Color from our balcony. You could tune the TV into the WoC channel to hear the soundtrack from your room.

Late evening DL Park time:

Indiana Jones ride

In case anyone wanted to know what it looked like ON the ride...yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Tourists!

We stayed until the park closed at midnight.

Intermission Part 2

Last edited by emmysmommy; 02-08-2014 at 10:39 AM.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:55 AM   #1652
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

**Intermission - Part 2**
Disney's Grand Californian Hotel Weekend

The following day was DL play time. Michael had to go to work so that left Em and I with some girl time for most of the day. We started off the morning eating breakfast at the La Brea Bakery restaurant in Downtown Disney.

Em's French toast:

Eggs, Potatoes, Bacon, Toast:

Matterhorn

Mr. Toad's

Space Mountain with Hotel Package Fast Pass

After a break in our day Em left to go to dinner with some of her friends that were taking her out for her birthday. My DH was meeting back up with me later in the evening so I had some solo park time. I bounced over to California Adventure to watch the lights lining Route 66 turn on at dusk. I sat on one of the benches and enjoyed the twilight when the music queued up and the lights went on.

Tower of Terror - California Style

Hollywood area of DCA:

Animation Building:

Last edited by emmysmommy; 02-14-2014 at 03:30 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #1653
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Your intermission has an intermission!

Loving these posts! Thanks. Already excited.

natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #1654
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great pics from DL ...... Aargh I want to get back there soooooo much
The photos from Napa Rose are just gorgeous.
Em looks every bit the birthday princess and I love her hair curled like that
I feel a 'business trip' to CA is necessary
Linda67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #1655
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

YAY, So glad you've included this intermission!!!

Well yeah... if you've already booked dinner there, it only makes sense to stay there. Disney logic says so. And yet more pixie dust for you landing that last minute room. Shame it was only a theme park view though.

I do have to add how significant the passholder benefits are between D-land and WDW. Just night and day and WAY better out west.

What a lovely way to celebrate an 18th birthday. You all look great and Em shining like the princess she is.

Aww I love that picture of Em on the Matterhorn, the one ride down for refurb on my one D-Land trip. Holy, almost 2 years ago this month.
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #1656
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Your intermission has an intermission!

Loving these posts! Thanks. Already excited.

Hi Dee!! I'm excited too... 5 more months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great pics from DL ...... Aargh I want to get back there soooooo much
The photos from Napa Rose are just gorgeous.
Em looks every bit the birthday princess and I love her hair curled like that
I feel a 'business trip' to CA is necessary
I want you to come back soooo much too! Perhaps I could bribe you with an offer to take you to Napa Rose?

Thanks! Em enjoyed getting dressed up for her special day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
YAY, So glad you've included this intermission!!!

Well yeah... if you've already booked dinner there, it only makes sense to stay there. Disney logic says so. And yet more pixie dust for you landing that last minute room. Shame it was only a theme park view though.

I do have to add how significant the passholder benefits are between D-land and WDW. Just night and day and WAY better out west.

What a lovely way to celebrate an 18th birthday. You all look great and Em shining like the princess she is.

Aww I love that picture of Em on the Matterhorn, the one ride down for refurb on my one D-Land trip. Holy, almost 2 years ago this month.
I'm glad you get the logic... it just makes sense. Forget the fact that we live 20 minutes from DL.

There are some little perks thrown in from time to time and the dining discounts (and I believe retail) are better at DL. Sounds like I can't afford NOT to be a passholder!

Thank you! I shared with Em your kind comment and she said thank you as well.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #1657
momabbate
DIS Veteran

What a great B-day celebration! I really need to figure out a way to get back to DL.
momabbate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #1658
klacey1
DIS Veteran

What an incredible view!! I can't believe how close the Grand Californian is to the park. It's right there!
Happy birthday, Em!! Both of you ladies looked beautiful at her dinner!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #1659
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

How lucky to be close enough to DL to pop in and spend your birthday! Em looks absolutely beautiful at her birthday dinner. And darn the luck only having a theme park view available too, right?!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #1660
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Finally caught up! Loved the final installations to your Dream Suite tour! Thanks for sharing!

And what a fun birthday at DLR! Happy Birthday to Em!!

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #1661
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Loved the intermission so far!!! Your DL weekend looked to be so much fun. I love Space Mtn in DL!! Not so much at WDW. However, Tower of Terror is much better at DHS.

We had those guest anywhere/anytime FPs in 2011. They are so great!!! And I loved the option of entering California Adventure early through the hotel.

Your dinner sounded good. And your breakfast looked good, too! Happy Birthday again to Em!! Fun morning at DL. So nice to be able to head over to the parks for the weekend when you feel a little need for Disney. We have friends that lived in LaHabra and we would stay with them and spend time at the parks. They moved to Reno this past year, though.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #1662
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I'm so glad you included the DL weekend! I have got to get to DL soon!

Jill in CO
Old 02-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #1663
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

What a great 18th birthday celebration!!

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD3 Baby #2 (Coming, March 2015!)

WL-January 2015; DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #1664
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Hi Brenda! I'm sorry I got behind, but I'm all caught up now!!
That suite is just absolutely breathtaking. The bathroom may just be my favourite part -- I'm a tub person. When we build our house, my #1 priority was a special tub. But THAT tub?? Enough to make this tub lover swoon. Stars on the ceiling??? I wonder if I could make my bathroom do that...
Love the pics of your group by the fireplace!
How incredible that you guys got to tour the DS. I can't imagine ever being so lucky! Thanks for sharing your tour with us!

Love the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel weekend intermission. I always love the DL segments, it really makes me want to go there. Your dinner at Napa Rose looks lovely! And what a view from your room!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #1665
peachmermaid
Mouseketeer

What a great birthday!! I love everything, napa rose, the view from your room, Em's horse sweater... That cake looked delicious!

I like your shots from Indiana jones! I miss Disneyland.

Sounds relaxing to chill out on Route 66 and watch the lights go on. And that animation room...I could sit in there forever. One of my favorite places on disney property ever. If they wanted to bring a copy of anything over to wdw, I would certainly accept a room like that in the animation section of mgm/hollywood studios.
peachmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animal kingdom lodge, dream suite, illuminations cruise, sunrise safari, yacht club

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: