Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
rf53
Every year, twice a year, since 1972.
 
rf53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 90

Downtown Disney Rennovations

I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but last month we visited WDW for a few days and we learned that Downtown Disney had initiated a two-year renovation project. The information we were given is that a new multi-level parking facility is being erected and a large portion of the current surface parking area will be developed into more stores and restaurants. While I did see the new parking lot announced in the closings and rehabs section of this site, I have seen nothing about the types of stores and restaurants that are planned (not that I have looked very hard).

Does anyone have info on what stores and restaurants are coming to the new DTD area?
__________________
Stayed at: AKL, WL, Saratoga Springs Villas, Contemporary, Old Key West Villas, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Polynesian, POR, POFQ, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Pop Century, All-Star Sports, All-Star Music, All-Star Movies, and many off-sites.
rf53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
staceyrhood
Mouseketeer
 
staceyrhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Celebration, Florida
Posts: 424

It is going to be called Disney Springs, a HUGE project. Lots of new shops and restaurants. It will double the size of DTD.
__________________
Mom to Jack 7 and Reagan 1
FL AP holder since 2001
Poly: 1979-1989 / GF: 1989-2001
Disney "resident" since 2001
October 2, 2009: Cinderella's Castle Suite!!!
Fort Wilderness:
Rockwood Roo IKSS
July 13' (loop 800), Aug.13' (loop 800), Oct.13' (loop 800), Nov.13' (loop 800), Dec.13' (loop 800), Feb. 14' (loop 900), Feb. 14' (loop 800), April 14' (loop 900)
DCL: Wonder 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010
Magic 2005 / Dream 2011, 2012
staceyrhood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
rteetz
DIS Veteran
 
rteetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,984

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf53 View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but last month we visited WDW for a few days and we learned that Downtown Disney had initiated a two-year renovation project. The information we were given is that a new multi-level parking facility is being erected and a large portion of the current surface parking area will be developed into more stores and restaurants. While I did see the new parking lot announced in the closings and rehabs section of this site, I have seen nothing about the types of stores and restaurants that are planned (not that I have looked very hard). Does anyone have info on what stores and restaurants are coming to the new DTD area?
no new restaurants have been announced at his time. The only things that have been announced is the parking garage, two Starbucks locations. Pleasure island is getting torn down, a pedestrian bridge is being built, and a new marketplace co op will take over team mickey. No official statements have explained what specifically is coming. The project is set to be complete in 2016. It's much more than a renovations is a revisioning of DTD hence the new name disney springs. It's supposed to represent the turn of the century Florida style homes.
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Disney!



rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 598

Here are some info on one of the new restaurants:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...ey-springs.htm
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
rf53
Every year, twice a year, since 1972.
 
rf53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
Here are some info on one of the new restaurants:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...ey-springs.htm

Thanks. It seems this restaurant is planned for the other side of DTD near the theater and will open at the end of this year (?). The person who advised us about the renovations said that most of the construction related to the new two-year project would take place at the other end of DTD somewhere in the area of parking lots A through G (maybe that was bad info). We saw the initial construction of the multi-level parking area that is going up on the old surface parking lots beyond G. It is well under way.
__________________
Stayed at: AKL, WL, Saratoga Springs Villas, Contemporary, Old Key West Villas, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Polynesian, POR, POFQ, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Pop Century, All-Star Sports, All-Star Music, All-Star Movies, and many off-sites.
rf53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf53 View Post
Thanks. It seems this restaurant is planned for the other side of DTD near the theater and will open at the end of this year (?). The person who advised us about the renovations said that most of the construction related to the new two-year project would take place at the other end of DTD somewhere in the area of parking lots A through G (maybe that was bad info). We saw the initial construction of the multi-level parking area that is going up on the old surface parking lots beyond G. It is well under way.
This is actually going on the former Pleasure Island over by Fultons. The permit expires in one year so it will likely open within a year. Yes, that majority of the work is taking place on and around pleasure island. There will be a second garage built at that end, as well as the one currently being build on the old H, I, J,K lots. Some of the surface parking between them will eventually become a new section of shops/resturants. You can see some good pictures of the model of what is being built here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/disneyb...n/photostream/

and concept art here:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...-art/18432.htm
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears
 
Tardisblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 62

Yet still no Adventurer's Club. . .
__________________
Walt Disney World
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Tardisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran
 
yitbos96bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardisblue View Post
Yet still no Adventurer's Club. . .
As much as I hate to say it, it sounds like most if not all are going to be third-party operated by groups like Landry's. I'm hoping the concepts will at least be unique (Paradiso 37 or Yak and Yeti) and not chain themes (like Trex/Rainforest or worse like Chilis or Fridays).
__________________
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:33 AM   #9
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran
 
yitbos96bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,608

So will this be a Landry's Restaurant? I don't know the guy, but the restaurants mentioned are all Landry's owned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
Here are some info on one of the new restaurants:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...ey-springs.htm
__________________
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
TheNovice
Earning My Ears
 
TheNovice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Alcove, NY
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyrhood View Post
It is going to be called Disney Springs, a HUGE project. Lots of new shops and restaurants. It will double the size of DTD.
Double! WOWZERS. Perhaps having Saratoga Springs as our DVC home resort will become more valuable than we had ever imagined
__________________
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
-Walt

College student. Disney lover. Vinylmation/Disney pin collector. Future resident of Orange County, Florida.
TheNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw FL
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovice View Post
Double! WOWZERS. Perhaps having Saratoga Springs as our DVC home resort will become more valuable than we had ever imagined
Hopefully it will change SSR from being the resort of last booking to a more desired location-- freeing up some of the other more desirable locations. The problem is that no matter how big they make DTD, without an adult entertainment area, it is just glorified shopping.
__________________
Give a man a beer and he wastes a half an hour, but teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
Jake
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: NY , USA
Posts: 26

How many more restaurants do we need? How many more run of the mill corporation type restaurants can we take. They all look the same and the food is all the same. more or less. Disney answer to what do we do? it is Restaurants and stores
__________________
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
DisDream09
DIS Veteran
 
DisDream09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Hopefully it will change SSR from being the resort of last booking to a more desired location-- freeing up some of the other more desirable locations. The problem is that no matter how big they make DTD, without an adult entertainment area, it is just glorified shopping.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Last trip I found it VERY inconvenient to get to DTD from the parks. Had to get to a resort first then get a bus to DTD. If I were staying this close to DTD I would have done more shopping and eating there.
__________________
April 1980
November 1994
December 1996 - Honeymoon
October 1998
December 2004 - All Star Music
May 2006 - Off site
Jan 2007 - Windsor Hills
August 2007 - Windsor Hills
December 2007 - Windsor Hills
June 2008 - Windsor Hills
February 2009 - Windsor Hills - Girls Weekend
December 2009 - Windsor Hills
August 2010 Hawaii (NCL)
December 2010 - All Star Music - Cheer Competition
July 2011 - Windsor Hills - Harry Potter
September 22, 2011 Disney Dream
December 2011 - All Star Music - Pop Warner Cheer Competition - JPW National Champions!!!!
December 2012 - All Star Music - Pop Warner Cheer Competition - JM National Champions!!!!
February 16-23, 2013 - Disney Fantasy Cruise
December 2013 - All Star Music - Pop Warner Cheer Competition - JM Silver Medalists!!!!


Andrea John Jessie Adriana Mema
DisDream09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
TuneTownMagic
DIS Veteran
 
TuneTownMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Too far from Spaceship Earth!
Posts: 608

I am hoping this expansion/rennovation concerning Disney Springs will not disappoint! I am looking forward to more shops. Although a store like World of Disney has an enormous variety of Disney merchandise, I hope the update will include uniquely themed shops like TrenD, at which you can purchase merchandise not found at other stores around DTD or at the parks. I also hope new restaurants would mean a wider variety of cuisine, AKA, different ethnic cuisines that haven't been featured at DTD yet. Of course, YMMV.
__________________
WDW events experienced: Candlelight Processional, Flower&Garden Festival, Mickey's Pirate & Princess Party
My Summer 2012 Dining Review WDW: My Second Home!
Always ready to "see ya real soon", Mickey!
TuneTownMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
sandybeach14
Earning My Ears
 
sandybeach14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDream09 View Post

Not necessarily a bad thing. Last trip I found it VERY inconvenient to get to DTD from the parks. Had to get to a resort first then get a bus to DTD. If I were staying this close to DTD I would have done more shopping and eating there.
There is a reason for this. If the buses ran from DTD to and from the parks non resort guest would park (for free) or walk from area hotels and then take the buses to the parks and Disney doesn't want non resort guest using the bus system this way. We found taking a taxi was the easiest/quickest way to deal with getting to DTD from the parks or taking a bus to Pop Century (bc it only has one stop) and then to DTD
__________________




sandybeach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.