Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
ColinCodyMom
DIS Veteran

Can't decide... Pop preferred pool or CBR preferred? Help

Trying to decide between Pop preferred pool view or a mod preferred. We love tropical theme so POR isn't really our thing. We usually stay deluxe and have never tried a mod. We have stayed at pop standard and AoA LM and although we loved the resort the walk was much too long in the summer. That's the main reason we would pay for preferred. I'm a bit nervous about the busses at the mods though. So...which would you choose? POP or a mod preferred room? I think CBR is scheduled for a refurb coming up and I'm not sure which rooms would be done first. This is for an end of June trip. Thanks for any advice!!

2014 Trip: June 25-July 2 AKL
2013 Trip: June 18-22 AKL and June 22-25 AoA
2011 Trip: July 20-23 CR TPV and July 23-26 BLT
2010 Trips: May 1-6 AKL and May 6-9 POP
2009 Trips: May 6-13 AKL Sep.30-Oct.2 WL
2008 Trip: May Caribe Royale
2007 Trip: August Caribe Royale
2001 Trip: OKW
1998 Trip: OKW
ColinCodyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I don't know if this matters or not, but a Pop, pool, preferred room could have a significant noise factor, especially if ground floor.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
ColinCodyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
I don't know if this matters or not, but a Pop, pool, preferred room could have a significant noise factor, especially if ground floor.
I did think about that and we always request top floor regardless and cross our fingers . Thank you!!

2014 Trip: June 25-July 2 AKL
2013 Trip: June 18-22 AKL and June 22-25 AoA
2011 Trip: July 20-23 CR TPV and July 23-26 BLT
2010 Trips: May 1-6 AKL and May 6-9 POP
2009 Trips: May 6-13 AKL Sep.30-Oct.2 WL
2008 Trip: May Caribe Royale
2007 Trip: August Caribe Royale
2001 Trip: OKW
1998 Trip: OKW
ColinCodyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCodyMom View Post
Trying to decide between Pop preferred pool view or a mod preferred. We love tropical theme so POR isn't really our thing. We usually stay deluxe and have never tried a mod. We have stayed at pop standard and AoA LM and although we loved the resort the walk was much too long in the summer. That's the main reason we would pay for preferred. I'm a bit nervous about the busses at the mods though. So...which would you choose? POP or a mod preferred room? I think CBR is scheduled for a refurb coming up and I'm not sure which rooms would be done first. This is for an end of June trip. Thanks for any advice!!
We've never stayed at Pop, but we loved CBR. With that said, CBR was our first onsite stay and we have stayed deluxe ever since, but we wouldn't hesitate to return to CBR as we loved everything about the resort.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
tina.tina
DIS Veteran

I can give my opinion on Pop. I think the best place to stay is in the 60's section in building 4 or 5 facing the lake. These are not preferred rooms but they're almost as close and you have a nice view of AoA. I think the theme around the Hippy Dippy pool is sort of tropical with all the vibrant colors. Pop is just fun and walking through the Hippy Dippy pool area made me smile every day.
tina.tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
DisneyAnytime
Mouseketeer

My Vote is CBR!

We always stay at CBR because I can't tear myself away. We will be going a one night room only at POR-Royal for our upcoming stay this summer because I almost got an ulcer trying to decide if I wanted to try something new.

If you are concerned about walking, you would want to book preferred at CBR as it is a very large resort. Regardless of which island you are on, you will be close to a quiet pool and a bus stop, but if you want to be close to the food court/shopping/main pool, it's best to book preferred.

DD (12) Anna Drew (14)

DisneyAnytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
robinb
DIS Veteran

What about staying at CSR? It has a more tropical feel than POR or POFQ.

ETA: I like POP, but I would pick a Moderate over a Value resort. In addition, I don't think paying for the preferred view is worth it at any of the Values or Mods except at CBR.

Last edited by robinb; 02-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
TheWire727
Earning My Ears

CBR is very nice, my last stay was actually there. It's still a pretty large resort so I would certainly suggest a proffered room if you worry about walking. The pool was really nice as well with a cool slide that my daughter and I loved.

My opinion on POR though is it's the best resort value wise out of them all. If you get a garden view or anything in the "mansions" it is a very short walk to anything and has beautiful views. Quiet also, I hate to even give such great reviews on it cause it's becoming less and less of a "secret" underrated resort. Most times I try to book a room there lately it's full for my Florida resident :/

Concerning POP, the noise factor a hustle and bustle can get pretty intense there. You will save some money though that's for sure. To me, if you'll be spending a decent amount of time at the resort, it's always worth the upgrade to a mod froma. Value resort. However it you're really just using it to sleep, and having an annoyingly hot and long walk, the pop will do ok
TheWire727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCodyMom View Post
I did think about that and we always request top floor regardless and cross our fingers . Thank you!!
We have stayed at many WDW resorts - and POP 4 times. Our absolute noisiest stay ever was a top floor at POP facing the pool. I was up all hours (some nights until 1-2 am) that trip. I have never stayed at CBR so I can't compare the 2 - but if quiet is something you are looking for, I would avoid a pool view room (any level) at POP.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
We have stayed at many WDW resorts - and POP 4 times. Our absolute noisiest stay ever was a top floor at POP facing the pool. I was up all hours (some nights until 1-2 am) that trip. I have never stayed at CBR so I can't compare the 2 - but if quiet is something you are looking for, I would avoid a pool view room (any level) at POP.
DITTO

I should have been more clear that ANY room facing a pool at Pop is almost guaranteed to have a noise factor. ALso as a PPer pointed out, the 50's and 60's lake view rooms are awesome! The view is lovely and they are close to everything. I always request lake view, top floor.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

Whoops! I didn't read the subject properly. I thought it was between POR and POP. Definitely go with CBR!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: