Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Brave did not deserve the Oscar last year -- like Merida's mom was really going to remain a stupid bear forever.
Ah, c'mon, Brave doesn't deserve to be singled out for this criticism; even the best kid's movies don't make you worry about things not turning out all right. I believed Elanor would remain a bear for about as long as I believed Anna's heart would remain frozen (and that scene in Frozen was very reminiscent of the similar penultimate scene in Brave). But I agree wholeheartedly that Wreck It Ralph was a better movie than Brave (but I think that was a much narrower gap than the one this year between Frozen and everything else), and Pixar exhausted the goodwill and enormous benefit of the doubt that they typically get from the Academy. It wasn't a good year for them to put out a fun but uninspiring sequel (or prequel) like Monsters University.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
I think the problem is that the pool is too small to draw from. I'd almost like to see the award every 3rd year of something like that. It's like "hey, there were 5 major animated films, so we'll nominate all but one, and then pick which was the best, when in reality the best was a B+". They grade some of these smaller categories on a curve. And when you have a bunch of B-quality films, it almost doesn't matter which you nominate.
I think that's true in general, not just for animated features. Usually there are at least a couple of animated features that deserve to be in the discussion, but not this year.
surferdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: