Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #271
Timon

DIS Junkie

Day 12 - Part 1 - The Butterfly Whisperer

Good morning St Thomaaaaaaaaaaas!

This is my fave port on DCL's Eastern Caribbean cruise. I find it much prettier and cleaner than St. Maarten. Having said that, we didn't plan much for today, as we had the intention of spending most of the day on board to take advantage of the empty ship.

The last time I was here, I sadly didn't even see St. Thomas, except a quick peek from my porthole because I was so sick. It was nice to be back but I was glad we didn't plan much time on the island because just like St. Maarten, it was HOT HOT HOT!!!

Our plan for the day was going to visit the Butterfly Garden. It was right at the pier and would only take an hour or so out of our day, perfect!

Kira is a butterfly lover, so I thought this would be the perfect place for her!

Checking out the view...

We got to see some painting guys that morning...

We ate at Cabanas that morning. I don't have pics but I remember it was very crowded and the food was just okay.

We headed down to deck 1 again to get off the ship. The Garden was only about a 6-7 minute walk.

Open air taxi. We've been on those before! Very bumpy and very hot!

A quick photo op

And voila, the Butterfly Garden..

It was $10 each and I gave the lady a fifty dollar bill and she gave me my receipt and instructed us to go into the little room next door. Ummm, wait a minute lady...you owe me $20! She was like "Oh, are you sure I didn't give you back your change already?" Ummm, yeah! I am sure!!!

So, we waited for a few more people to pay and enter the room and then she gave us the lowdown. Basically, if the butterflies land on you, okay, but don't go picking them up. Watch your step and don't let any of them out!

Within a few minutes, one landed on Rob's finger.

Kira was all excited...but when Rob asked her if she wanted to hold him, she got freaked out!

So she watched from afar LOL!

The garden was beautiful, smaller than I thought but nice. Beautiful butterflies everywhere. If you put your finger close to one, sometimes they would hop on. Well, if you are Rob, the freaking butterfly whisperer, they would!

We walked very slowly and carefully. Sadly, not everybody did and we saw lots of dead or injured butterflies on the ground.

Rob tried several times to get a butterfly to crawl onto Kira's finger and she would try at first and then it would move and she would start to freak out LOL!

Poor kiddo, she is afraid of everything!

Lots of these guys around...

The "pock leader" lol

We didn't spend as long there as we thought because of Kira's reaction. She didn't want to touch any butterflies but she was keen on getting a butterfly ring LOL!

While I don't think it was worth $30, I am still glad we went. It would have been so much better had Kira enjoyed holding the butterflies. It was something we've never done before and it was nice and close.

Back to the ship we went, with the sweat POURING down my back!

The little shop area...

And then this guy got rather upset with me because I forgot my photo ID.

He was acting all high and mighty like I wasn't going to be able to get back on the ship. Ummm dude, I can just send my hubby on to grab it for me.

After looking at my card and then Rob's ID, he let us go...

And then Rob got frisked LOL!

25 pics!

Last edited by Timon; 02-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #272
tow-mater-1
DIS Veteran

All caught up! I LOVE the pirate night pics! Next cruise... or I should say next cruise the boys are with us I'm totally going to book the pirate make over thingy for them.
tow-mater-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #273
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!
shakes dollar bills for good luck

Pigeon Poop?? LOL I loved that stuff. I'm surprised I didn't lick the bowl clean!

Exciting news? Is it unfair for me to guess?
cntkg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #274
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!

Those pics of the butterfly farm are amazing, Cass! I love the one where it looks like the butterfly has a huge eye or two on it.

That was our fifth DCL cruise and by far the hottest, although it was the latest in the year we've ever cruised. Chuck and I made it to the Pirates Chest to look once more for my lightning picture and then headed to Hooters for T-shirts for the boys back home. That was more than enough for us! It was soooo stinkin' hot.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #275
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

I am late, so very late for an important date!! Another trip report from Cass!!
Glad to be along on the journey. I have a trip report to finish. I love DCL but after my last cruise...I too have a chronic illness, Meniere's. A year long flare I've had since my cruise Dec 2012. I am finally feeling like reading DIS and planning another trip. Only on page 5 but can't wait to catch up.
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
LuvEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #276
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Love the butterfly garden. That looks like a nice easy thing to do. We have been to a few in the area and I always love them too. Fun for pictures.
That Blue one Rob is holding is so beautiful!
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #277
Timon

DIS Junkie

Day 12 - Part 2 - Meatloaf madness!

When we got back on board, we all took turns showering. I grabbed some chicken strips to feed my kids' addiction

The first ones I got were gross

Thankfully, we were only steps away to get new ones!

Just before we left, I came across a fantastic thread written by a current Kid's Club CM. She mentioned that they don't get many perks like some other CM's onboard get and that they really miss being connected from the rest of the world. So, I went and put together a little package for the Kids' Counsellors. I put in some recent magazines, Snack-sized Canadian Chocolate bars and some candy.

When Kira was done her lunch, we dropped her and the little care package off at the Club.

We were scheduled to meet up with Nancy and Chuck for lunch at Royal Palace. We had told them about our lunch there the other day and the night before we made plans to try it together today.

On the way, we passed my fave piece of art...

I just loved it! That and the massive Wall-E one are my two faves!

So we met up at RP and were seated right by a window, nice!

The restaurant was nice and quiet so it was kinda nice to be able to have an actual conversation without saying "WHAT???" six billion times

Nancy had asked if they had meatloaf because she had been wanting to try it for quite some time. The server went to speak to the chef and said that yes, they could make one for her, yay!

In the meantime...

We all got our meals and then Nancy waited and waited and waited....

It was over an hour before she finally got this...

I will let her tell you how it was!

I think if she knew it was going to be an hour, she would have ordered something else

And again, why did they HAVE to bring it on a kids plate??? At least the server didn't call her a little girl

Just as we were ordering desserts, the rest of the gang from dinner showed up and were seated right next to us! HAHAH, it really is a small world, after all

We very much enjoyed our lunch. My burger was delish, the fries were much better than the last time and we very much enjoyed the company and being able to HEAR them

I went back to the room to ice my ankles while Rob did some work and then shortly after, we picked up Kira from the club.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #278
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Oh my word!!!! That food looks so good. Of course it's dinner time and I have yet to start cooking!

They must've had to go kill the cow for that meatloaf!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #279
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Day 12 - Part 2 - Meatloaf madness!

[
Nancy had asked if they had meatloaf because she had been wanting to try it for quite some time. The server went to speak to the chef and said that yes, they could make one for her, yay!

It was over an hour before she finally got this...

I will let her tell you how it was!

Well, I guess that's what I get when you go off the menu and order something they aren't really offering that day. Now you want me to tell you about it after 3 months? C'mon Cass, you know I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday, let alone 3 months ago.

But, I think it was a tad bit dry and not as flavorful as I imagined. But what the heck, it wasn't like it was my last lunch ever. I'm sure I filled up on yet another Mochaccino from the Cove Cafe right after that! I couldn't get enough of those things. We blew through 2 punch cards that week!

Now that cheeseburger you had looks delish! That would've been right up my alley. Maybe you and I shouldn't have perused the menus for months and months before the cruise because I was finding all kinds of food I wanted to try.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #280
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Wow, those butterflies are BEAUTIFUL! And you are so kind for making that care package for the Kid's Club CMs.

I am really happy that the other server wasn't around to make fun of the whole kid's meal situation again!
__disneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #281
tow-mater-1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
What a great idea! They must have LOVED that! I was thinking I would steal your idea except next cruise is kid free!
tow-mater-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #282
Timon

DIS Junkie

Day 12 - Part 3 - I was so embarrassed for them!

Once we got our Dollie from the club, we headed back to our room. Just as we got back, we were pulling out of St. Thomas, so we decided to sit back, relax (gasp! ) and enjoy the view.

Norwegian Epic sailed out before us...

There she goes!

You can see the Butterfly Garden in the photo below...to the left and a little up from the Senor Frogs sign. (light blue roof)

We were next to leave, so the bridge was a busy place! I think one of those was our captain. I have no idea who our captain was actually, first time I've never known that little tidbit

We sailed by as the RCCL Freedom of the Seas watched us go by...

Rob saw the Canadian flag so he whipped out ours

This is where they started sounding their horn.

OMG, it was pathetic!!!

Then we sounded ours...

3 out of 7 of them

And they sounded theirs again!

I was so embarrassed for them

The Epic out in the open waters...

Do not mess with the Coast Guard peeps!

Here is the boat coming to pick up the Pilot. For those of you who don't know, in every port, a "pilot" comes on board every ship that is entering and leaving. He comes on to help the Captain navigate the waters as he is extremely familiar with them. When they reach a safe spot, the Pilot leaves the ship and goes on to the next ship.

Getting close so the Pilot can step off...

And as he left, everyone who was watching gave him a big cheer! He waved in recognition and off he went to the Freedom.

It was actually nice to spend some time on the verandah just chillin'. It was pretty warm still so as soon as we hit the open seas, I went back to the coolness of our room. Kira popped out every 5 minutes and then went back to her Mickey cartoons

Sorry, this is going to be a short update as I haven't edited photos past this point and I have plans tonight.

Before I wrap up, I just wanted to tell you about a little DIS Tag gift we got. I have no idea who gave it to us but my girl REALLY liked it, so thank you room 9536, if you are reading

Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #283
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I have never watched the pilot, but i knew it was something that happened. you got some great shots.

I love her gift!!!

Have fun tonight.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:44 PM   #284
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

We always watch the pilot of we can - so nice to see!

Oh, and just a word about the captain, it for sure was NOT Captain/Commodore Tom, as he rearly touches those Mickey whistles.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #285
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Cass, I've taken three Disney cruises and I had NO idea about the pilot! Thanks for that info, who knew!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: