Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
MommaJage
Earning My Ears

Car Rental Return, Arrival at Port

I have read a few posts indicating it is possible to drop people at the port along with their bags and have one person return the car and ride the shuttle back. How does that help with check in? Can you really check someone in who isn't there? Or, does it just make the shuttle process simpler?

Thanks for your input!
MommaJage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaJage View Post
I have read a few posts indicating it is possible to drop people at the port along with their bags and have one person return the car and ride the shuttle back. How does that help with check in? Can you really check someone in who isn't there? Or, does it just make the shuttle process simpler? Thanks for your input!
For shuttle process it makes it much easier as it's quicker to squeeze one person on the shuttle without bags vs waiting for the next one that will have space for your party and bags... So it makes your process quicker, similarly family members in the terminal can get the kids checked in to the kids club etc...
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

The person checking you in can hold your travel documents to start the check in process but make sure the driver has an alternate form of photo ID such as a driver's license that will allow them to enter the terminal upon return from the rental place.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
MommaJage
Earning My Ears

So I can check in, get ID cards, etc. and my husband just needs to show up to walk on board? No one actually has to verify it's him? Doesn't he need to sign something in front of a DCL employee? I think I'm missing something!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
mtchurchmonica
Poster formerly known as yazee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocspartan View Post
For shuttle process it makes it much easier as it's quicker to squeeze one person on the shuttle without bags vs waiting for the next one that will have space for your party and bags... So it makes your process quicker, similarly family members in the terminal can get the kids checked in to the kids club etc...
OP, your dh will still have to check in. How many children are you traveling with? We've traveled with 3 up until the oldest left for college, and this is exactly why Dh drops us at the port, returns the car and takes the shuttle back. After disembarkment, he gets on the shuttle, picks up the car and comes for us and our luggage.

DCL - 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, (upcoming) 2014
NCL Pearl 2010,
CCL Pride 2012, 2013
mtchurchmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

You all have to be present to check in, because DCL has to take everyone's picture, verify id, etc. But, those going ahead can get through security and wait in the terminal. If they check in line is long, they can get in line (though on my last cruise it never was long). The real advantage is the shuttle, only having to squeeze one person on. But, it can take longer. Last cruise we all went, and all fit on the first shuttle. If we'd done the terminal first, dh wouldn't have gotten the car returned in time to get on that first shuttle and would have been later to the port. So it really can vary. On the way home, same story. We made the first shuttle that came and all fit, if I'd gone ahead to get the car it would have taken longer.
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
MommaJage
Earning My Ears

Thanks! This was just what I needed to know. I think we will first go to the car rental. If the line is short we'll all shuttle together.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: