Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Sharron379
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Plano
Posts: 246

First Time Cruising Questions?

We are going on our First DCL cruise on March 10th on the Magic! We are so excited! But I do have a few questions. We are driving to port and will park our car at the cruise terminal.
1. Can we bring bottle water and snacks on the cruise ship?
2. We normally cruise with RCCL, and they take care of our luggage once we arrive at the airport. But since we are driving, we will have our luggage with us. We have terminal check in at 11:30 AM, will we be having to drag all of our luggage with us until our cabin is ready or will they take it from us and put it in our cabin when we check in?
3. Can we bring wine onto the ship?
4. Can we need to bring our own floaties for the pool and ports or does dcl have floaties available?

Thanks for all of the help!
Sharron
Sharron379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
BeautyFan
Mouseketeer
 
BeautyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 224


I bet you are too excited! We'll be on the Magic just a few weeks after you!

1. You can bring bottled water/soda/alcoholic beverages on board only in your carry-on. It cannot be checked with luggage. Sealed, packaged snacks are OK, but not in a cooler, nothing home-made.

2. Yes, when you arrive at the port, there are Porters to take your Checked luggage which will be delivered to your stateroom. You take your carryon and keep it with you until your stateroom is ready (around 1:30pm)

3. Yes, you can bring wine and other alcohol, but only in your carry-on. There is a size limit restriction on your carry-on.

4. No blow-up floaties or noodles allowed on board. I have seen kids with smaller pool toys but not sure if this was officially permissable.


I do have a tip for you when you board. Bring your bathing suits or wear them under your clothes so your family can enjoy the pool when you board and not have to wait for the rooms to be available or have to find them in your luggage!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharron379 View Post
We are going on our First DCL cruise on March 10th on the Magic! We are so excited! But I do have a few questions. We are driving to port and will park our car at the cruise terminal.
1. Can we bring bottle water and snacks on the cruise ship?
2. We normally cruise with RCCL, and they take care of our luggage once we arrive at the airport. But since we are driving, we will have our luggage with us. We have terminal check in at 11:30 AM, will we be having to drag all of our luggage with us until our cabin is ready or will they take it from us and put it in our cabin when we check in?
3. Can we bring wine onto the ship?
4. Can we need to bring our own floaties for the pool and ports or does dcl have floaties available?

Thanks for all of the help!
Sharron
__________________
Disneyland 1971, 1976 DisneyWorld 1989 off prop POR 2007 Contemporary 2008 POP 2009 MNSSHP '07, 09
WONDER Feb 2010 DREAM July 2011 MAGIC July 2012
BeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Sharron379
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Plano
Posts: 246

Our plan was to board the ship with swimsuits on! I know my boys are going to want to do Avengers and pool immediately! This is a surprise vacay. I am coming a part not telling them. Hmm, my daughter's floaties are the non blow up kind of. Its more of like a life jacket. I wonder if that is ok? Do you recommend bring refillable water bottle i.e. camelback or trevis cups to refill drinks.
Sharron379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharron379 View Post
Our plan was to board the ship with swimsuits on! I know my boys are going to want to do Avengers and pool immediately! This is a surprise vacay. I am coming a part not telling them. Hmm, my daughter's floaties are the non blow up kind of. Its more of like a life jacket. I wonder if that is ok? Do you recommend bring refillable water bottle i.e. camelback or trevis cups to refill drinks.
Are you asking about a personal floatation device (like a life jacket for young kids)?

From the DCL website:

The following items are permitted but with the following restrictions:

•Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) and flotation sewn into the bathing suit for safety. However, recreational floating devices such as floats, rafts and fun noodles cannot be brought on board and are not permitted in the pools or on Castaway Cay.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...hibited-items/

That being said, there are lifejackets available onboard (and at Castaway Cay):


You may bring refillable bottles/cups, if you wish. However, you are requested to use one of the cups available at the drink station for filling your personal cups.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 02-04-2014 at 05:40 PM.
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
BeautyFan
Mouseketeer
 
BeautyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 224

I've never brought my own cup on board. I probably had sippy cups for DD when she was younger just to avoid spills, but really, I just don't like carrying cups around and having to keep tabs on them.

This year I might bring a bigger coffee traveler cup that I can use to get my coffee in the morning (I always am the first one up and enjoy getting out of the cabin for some fresh air and quiet time)

I do see people with their Tervis cups, and if you like to have more than 8 (or 12?) ounces at a time, its a good idea because the cups at the soda machines are pretty small!
__________________
Disneyland 1971, 1976 DisneyWorld 1989 off prop POR 2007 Contemporary 2008 POP 2009 MNSSHP '07, 09
WONDER Feb 2010 DREAM July 2011 MAGIC July 2012
BeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
apathetic
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24

Castaway Cay

Last year we visited and they didn't have life jackets for small kids. Not even for rent. The only ones they had were for snorkeling. We expected them to have this since they do at the water parks at WDW. If your kids need something for swimming, you should look at bringing the life jackets with you. Otherwise, your kids may not enjoy a day at the beach when they can only go 5 feet into the water. It can drop off pretty quick for younger kids.
apathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
shburks
DIS Veteran
 
shburks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 1,530

Quote:
Originally Posted by apathetic View Post
Last year we visited and they didn't have life jackets for small kids. Not even for rent. The only ones they had were for snorkeling. We expected them to have this since they do at the water parks at WDW. If your kids need something for swimming, you should look at bringing the life jackets with you. Otherwise, your kids may not enjoy a day at the beach when they can only go 5 feet into the water. It can drop off pretty quick for younger kids.
They do have them on CC--for sure near Pelican Plunge.
__________________

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
apathetic
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
They do have them on CC--for sure near Pelican Plunge.
Interesting. When we got there we seen the racks of life vests, but realized they were for snorkeling. So, we asked a cast member and was told that's all they had. They just didn't work right for the kids. We checked all the shops and none sold any. I'll have to check that out on the next cruise.
apathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.