Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
ACJT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinezb View Post
for the one who answered my post that thinks im demanding im not i am only just asking for some suggestions for people who already cruised i thought thats what this forum was all about if they don't want to answer my post why read it. you call that friendly help. i guess i went on the wrong forum for help and suggestions for people who will be cruising for the first time. I am only asking for advice and suggestions and i was only giving information to help with my question i didn't need that rude reply i will find another forum to get the help that i need without the rude replies.
Wow. Do you think that possibly others are looking for an answer to your question too ? Might by why they read this post.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
ACJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
jburge12000
Earning My Ears

I have 2 elem. age kids as well. The last 2 cruises we took we found weeks that the kids had either vacations or half days so the did not miss as much school. In 2012 the week before most kids got out for Thanksgiving break my kids had the Monday and Friday off and 3 half days in between. We did a week on the Fantasy and the kids only missed 3 half days and we pulled them out early the day we left to catch the plane. We got the teacher to give us the work before we left but since it was all half days, they were able to get it all done on the plane rides. Ship was not near full and CC was great. Travel was also easier than going over a holiday. or summer It worked out so well that we surprised the kids with a 3 day Dream to the Bahamas this past Oct since they had Thursday and Friday off for Halloween. Kids missed one day of school to travel. Would recommend you look at your schools schedule and see if they have any teacher collaboration days or halfs, those long weekends work well for our family. Weather was great both times.

Jan 2012 - Dream Bahamas, Nov. 2012 - Fantasy Western Caribbean, Oct. 2013 - Dream Halloween on the High Seas, Aug. 2014 - Wonder Alaska
jburge12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJT View Post
Wow. Do you think that possibly others are looking for an answer to your question too ? Might by why they read this post.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
That's why I stopped by. We're new to cruising too.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #19
natmom
Mouseketeer

We cruised the dream in May last year. The weather was beautiful, not now drop of rain. We are from canada and are able to pull our children from school easily so they did miss school. My kids were 10 and 12 last year and had the time of their lives! We booked a 7 night on the fantasy this may again. My kids enjoyed the sports deck, kids clubs, movies and shows, aqua duck, all you can eat ice cream
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #20
Barefoot Princess
Earning My Ears

I can't help you with the cruise itself, but I can add my thoughts about CT schools since we live in CT also. I'm not sure where you received the information that the state of CT is going to come after you if the children miss school, but whoever told you that is wrong. We've known several families who pulled their children out during the school year for few days and they never received any threats from the state.

That being said, some school district may have their own rules about attendance, and perhaps this is what you may have heard. My children go to a magnet school, and we had to sign a contract that we as a family will ensure that we will make our best effort to make sure they attend the school 95% of the school days (excluding sick days), or risk being sent back to the neighborhood school. Of course, we know few families at this school who have pulled their kids out of school to go on vacation, and as long as they communicated with the school ahead of time it seemed all right with the school. But this is not a state-wide standard.

My point is, while I'm not advocating for your children to miss school, you may be worrying about state education gestapo for no reason (because there isn't one). If you can go on a vacation while the kids are on school break, that's best - but if they missed couple of days, the state is not going to kick them out of school. Of course, I am making some assumptions that the kids haven't missed a lot of days already (other than sick days) and that they are not behind on their schoolwork. I think the best way is to just talk to the principal at your kids' school.

I wish you luck on finding a great time to go on vacation - I'm sure you will have fun no matter what you decide with

"And though she be but little, she is fierce!" ~William Shakespeare~
Barefoot Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinezb View Post
for the one who answered my post that thinks im demanding im not i am only just asking for some suggestions for people who already cruised i thought thats what this forum was all about if they don't want to answer my post why read it. you call that friendly help. i guess i went on the wrong forum for help and suggestions for people who will be cruising for the first time. I am only asking for advice and suggestions and i was only giving information to help with my question i didn't need that rude reply i will find another forum to get the help that i need without the rude replies.

You sow what you reap. You are not going to do better in other boards if you continue a attacking.

Sadly the board does not revolve around you. But telling us off because we didn't respond as quickly and throughly as you want won't encourage responses
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
While I am not advocating for kids to miss school (I am an elementary teacher), many people do not realize that they can have their children placed on independent study for vacations during the school year. The teacher assigns a certain amount of work to be done, and the child does not have any absences for that time period provided the child turns in the work. I recently had a student out for a week (part of it was spent on a cruise), and last year I had a student spend a month in another country. It was no big deal. We live in California, but I am sure all states have something like this. It isn't advertised though. You should ask the school secretary if you are interested in traveling at a less expensive time. Finally, I would not recommend this if attendance is already an issue for your children.
I teach in AZ and we don't have such a thing, would be nice though! If you miss 10 consecutive days for non medical reasons, you are dis enrolled. I had a student travel to India from Thanksgiving to New Years this year and another on a two week road trip last year that had to dis enroll and then re enroll at the district office 40 minutes away when they returned with no guarantee of the same class when you return, although really, if the school office knows, they will put the kids back where they were.

But, on topic, we get out the Thursday before Memorial Day and like to travel Memorial week or the week after. Many people are still in school.

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: