Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #61
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen76b View Post
I love your TR so far! I love the balance of pictures with commentary. I'm like a kid. I don't want to just read. I like pictures too. Your TR keeps me interested. I even went back and read your review from last year. Loved it! I'll be on the Fantasy in Nov with my husband and teenager. I keep thinking that this will be our last Disney cruise since he's getting older, but you have me considering even going without the kiddo.
We obviously love the cruise as two adults with no children. You can have loads of fun in a different way.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #62
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneYE View Post
Awesome TR...thanks for sharing.. Would've loved to share a table with both of you..you seem such awesome people, you make a lovely couple and I wish you all the love and success and, of course, many many more DCL voyages together... Cheers..
Thanks so much!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #63
MrRay
Mouseketeer

January 8th, Castaway Cay

We awoke as we were pulling up to Castaway Cay. Sadly it was still looking pretty, um, terrible. The sun was nowhere to be seen. We were supposed to go parasailing but we were secretly hoping, and pretty confident, that it would get canceled. Sure enough the cruise director came on to say that every excursion with the exception of feeding the rays and rentals were cancelled.

We set out to see the island. It was early yes but this place was EMPTY.

20140108-_MG_0396 by goingrobert, on Flickr

I dipped my toes in the water at Serenity Bay and we were done. I don't think we spent more than an hour off the ship. Back on board we decided to take another shot at the hot tub. It was less windy this time around and it was very nice, then I decided to test the pool water. Even coming from the hot tub it felt surprisingly warm. They must have been heating them a little extra because I jumped right in and we both swam around for another half hour with the whole pool area completely to ourselves.

We opted to stay on the ship for lunch. On our last cruise the BBQ was the only bad meal we had so we didn't think we would miss much. We got a table right by the window in Cabanas and saw a sea turtle swimming right next to the ship. One of the staff said they swim by from time to time. His shadow grew and grew and finally a little green head popped up to take a breathe. We watched him swim out of sight and began to plot the rest of our day. Our eyes fell on the perfect cold rainy day activity that started at 2:30 p.m....

Mixology.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #64
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRay View Post
Thanks, I gave this a try and you are right it is light years better. Thanks!
Your most welcome! I wanted to save you from the pain that is Photobucket. Another recommendation is to edit your old posts and reupload the photos and links with Flickr. If too many people view this report, those old Photobucket photos will disappear.

Quote:
Not really sure, I did have a small rolling bag. I would assume the dog is probably kept busy sniffing all the checked bags during the day, but since that was done maybe they felt like giving us the extra pat down.
To whom ever asked about the security dogs; the dogs do stiff all bags and check for explosives.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #65
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Mixology

We stopped by guest services to see if we could still get tickets and were pleased when they took our money. Honestly with all the cancelled excursions that day I think Disney would take money however they could get it, they probably would have added 5 classes if they could fill them.

It took place in Keys, the piano bar.

It's a really nice space. We never had any after hours fun here but it's very classy.

We sat in large groups and were greeted by our host.

On the menu today...

Rum runner

Caipirinha

Vodka martini

B52

We got to work...

The martinis were made by one member of each group behind the bar. This was where things got a little silly. People were pretty heavy handed with the vodka, and at one point our hosts went in the back room and everyone took a few more pours in each shaker. It was all in good fun and I'm sure our hosts, being the only 2 sober people, were fully aware of what was happening.

It gets a little fuzzy after that. We were allowed to finish all our drinks, including the insane amount of vodka being passed around, at our leisure. $15 well spent.

Eventual we went up on deck to grab a snack before returning to the room to relax.
I have to admit I was surprised that the shawarma station never became anything else. Just shawarma all the time. Seems random to me, but it was decent.

We watched us sail away and it got colder and windier.

It was pirate night and we were in Animator's again.
Nothing really stands out about this meal. Traditional pirate night food. I think there was a pirate conga line at one point. It was fun but we were getting really depressed about the weather and didn't feel much like going up on deck for the fireworks, mainly because we really didn't think they were going to happen.

We never did find out if they did or not, but we certainly didn't hear them from our room.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #66
aneshka
Earning My Ears

I am enjoying your trip report!

I want to do mixology but my husband is not really a drinker and can only tolerate a glass or two.

Can he come with me as a spectator?
aneshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #67
PixieDustandEeyore
DIS Veteran

great report! On the Magic we saw alot of shwarma too, not that Im complaining I loves me some shwarma
PixieDustandEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #68
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneshka View Post
I am enjoying your trip report!

I want to do mixology but my husband is not really a drinker and can only tolerate a glass or two.

Can he come with me as a spectator?

This is one of those things where you will get a different answer depending on who you talk to and who is actually leading the class. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #69
MrRay
Mouseketeer

January 9th, Driving around in circles

We awoke to another grey sky. We clicked on the bridge channel and saw that the captain tried really hard to find some sunshine for us...

We tried swimming a bit more, the water was still warm but the wind was pretty bad, especially if you were wet. I really wanted to try the aqua dunk but I couldn't imagine standing on the stairs in the wind waiting in line.

This wasn't too crowded either.

Finally desperate for something to do we tried to go see an afternoon showing of “Saving Mr. Banks”. Sadly the theater was the opposite of this…

There were only a few scattered seats. After the third person we asked said that they were saving the seats for someone we got frustrated and left.

We attended an adult’s only animation class where we attempted to draw Pluto then spent most of the rest of the day in our room packing our things and watching tv.

Our final dinner was in...

The food was mixed...

The Empanada appetizer is huge and easily the tastiest thing on the menu.

I think this had some fancy name and looks pretty but didn't really taste like anything.

There was a lot of things that interested me on the menu so I ended up getting two entrees. The pork belly was pretty good.

I also had the Beef, Lamb, Sausage, and Shrimp skewers.

the beef and lamb were too tough to eat, completely inedible. The sausage and shrimp were pretty good, but nothing amazing here.

They also have to do some clumsy presentation where they try to stick a couple of the skewers into that metal thing. They don't seem to fit too well so they would get one or two of everybody's and then give up. We watched the "reimagineering the magic" special on tv the other night and they showed this dish with all the skewers standing upright so that's obviously the goal but whether there is something wrong with them or it's just too difficult they don't really bother with it.

We said goodbye to our table mates, we were doing express walk off the next day and wouldn't see them. We then went to see a juggling comedian in the nightclub but we didn't think he was either terribly funny or a decent juggler.

We packed up the last of our things and went to bed.

It was extremely rocky over night. We would wake up literally rolling back and forth. I usually feel fine on the ships but my stomach was a little upset from it. We tried to sleep through it but neither of us got much rest.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #70
missmdr
Mouseketeer

The weather was a real downer, huh? That happened to us the last 4 night cruise we took a few years ago (ironically, also in January). We had rain/wind and overcast skies each day EXCEPT Castaway day - that was our saving moment. It was pretty miserable. But what can you do? Can't control the weather. Will you book another cruise is the question?!!
missmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #71
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Ugh....we've had that experience in the Buena Vista theater, too.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #72
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmdr View Post
The weather was a real downer, huh? That happened to us the last 4 night cruise we took a few years ago (ironically, also in January). We had rain/wind and overcast skies each day EXCEPT Castaway day - that was our saving moment. It was pretty miserable. But what can you do? Can't control the weather. Will you book another cruise is the question?!!
I doubt we would ever do Bahamas in January again. As you'll see we had much better weather on the Fantasy in the Caribbean and last year on the western we were fine. But all the Castaway days were very chilly.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #73
tweis
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear that you had such terrible weather and ended up not having much to do. We sailed last May and while it wasn't cold, it was definitely rainy. I'm looking forward to reading about the Fantasy portion of your vacation.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #74
corykay
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry to hear the weather was so bad (a lot better than where you left, but still, not ideal for a vacation). I know you enjoyed DCL because I read your other review. BTW, you're an excellent writer. I checked this thread everyday anticipating your next update.

I hope your return travel was comfortable and uneventful. Thanks for taking the time to write this review.
corykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #75
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corykay View Post
I'm sorry to hear the weather was so bad (a lot better than where you left, but still, not ideal for a vacation). I know you enjoyed DCL because I read your other review. BTW, you're an excellent writer. I checked this thread everyday anticipating your next update.

I hope your return travel was comfortable and uneventful. Thanks for taking the time to write this review.
Thanks so much. Luckily within the next couple posts things turn around for us for the rest of the trip. Thanks for following along.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: