Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
jrstanki
Earning My Ears

Upgrade from 5B to 4B

Do you think it's worth the extra $200 to upgrade from the deluxe oceanview suite with verandah to the deluxe family oceanview with verandah? I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old. The difference is 40 sq ft but also the murphy bed. I think my biggest concern is whether the bunk bed style will work for my children. there's a good possibility the top bunk might not be a favorite of either child in which case i could see either me or my husband having to sleep in it :-)
What do you think? Am i being silly? Should i just stick with what i have knowing we won't be spending too much time in the room.
Also, we are traveling with another family and currently our rooms are just down the hall from each other. This switch would put us on different levels. A part of me would feel a little bit bad splitting up but again i could just be over thinking it.
jrstanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

With a 3 and a 4 year old, you could put them in the same bed with heads at opposite ends and feet in the middle. You could also make a "nest" on the floor and tell them it is "camping out." Betcha they fight over who gets to sleep on the floor if you do that!

If you want the extra space, spend the money....but I think you'll be fine where you are.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
dpantry
Disney Dad enjoying my Disney family!

The bunk beds will be fine. They will bring down the bunk bed at the night time turn down. Our daughter never slept in a bunk bed before and she wanted the top bunk to climb into. They have a rail but they also offer an additional higher rail which we used. She loved it.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
neg58
DIS Veteran

Do your kids ever sleep together? My kids, 10 months apart, had bunkbeds at that age. I usually found them both in the top bunk or both in the bottom. Even when the beds were split as twins, they'd be in the same bed.

I think you'll be fine in the 5B.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
joker66
Earning My Ears

I just dealt with this same issue. We had a adjoining rooms in cat5b with friends. I saw the upgrade opportunity to Cat 4b for only $189. We decided to do it. We have a 12 yo ds and 14 yo dd and were bumping into each other last year on the Magic when we would get ready for dinner. The rooms are slightly smaller on the Fantasy so we decided to upgrade. We are still on the same level though as our friends. I wouldn't worry about the pull down bed with youngsters very safe and I think you will find one of them might find it adventerous. Good luck with choice, you can't go wrong.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
caitlinS9
Earning My Ears

I hear you on all of your points. We travel with a kids aero bed whenever we go any where. We haven't had to use it on a cruise, but we highly recommend it. I would guess it would fit under your bed when not in use (without deflating).
caitlinS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
gopherlawyer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinS9
I hear you on all of your points. We travel with a kids aero bed whenever we go any where. We haven't had to use it on a cruise, but we highly recommend it. I would guess it would fit under your bed when not in use (without deflating).
How do you find out about possible upgrades? Thanks
gopherlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
jrstanki
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherlawyer View Post
How do you find out about possible upgrades? Thanks
i originally wanted the family suite but it wasn't available when i booked. I have been checking periodically under "manage my reservation". now that it is available i am second guessing. The conceirge 1 bedroom is also available but not an option for me to book online. i may call and ask about that price difference. If i can talk my hubby into it i will go for that one.
jrstanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Do your kids ever sleep together? My kids, 10 months apart, had bunkbeds at that age. I usually found them both in the top bunk or both in the bottom. Even when the beds were split as twins, they'd be in the same bed.

I think you'll be fine in the 5B.

Nancy
THIS.....but my boys are 4 years apart! We finally broke down and bought a bunk bed that has a full size on the bottom. That way they each have their own beds, but have a little more room if they want to sleep together (which they always do, even now at 7 & 4!)

We're actually squeezing our family of 5 into a deluxe verandah (w/o the murphy bed) and planning on the boys sharing the bottom bunk!
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
jarudinski
Mouseketeer

My kids love the bunk beds and they did fight over the top bunk. Sharing a bed was out of the question as the younger one squirms and kicks in her sleep. I would just have them alternate each night and they would play some form of never guessing game to see who would go first. No more fighting as they both knew they would get a turn.

Disney Wonder Alaska August 10, 2015
Disney Dream Bahamas July 13, 2014
Disney Magic Galvastan Apr 16, 2013
Disney Dream Bahamas Aug 16,2011
Disney Wonder Alaska June 7, 2011
Disney Magic Baltic Cruise 2010
Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 2008
Disney Magic Mediterranean 2007
Disney Magic Eastern Carribbean 2005
Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2004, 2006
jarudinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantry View Post
They have a rail but they also offer an additional higher rail which we used.
Is this offered on all the ships? My BIL had concerns about his DD sleeping in the top bunk based on the short metal rail seen in all the pictures. We will be on the Wonder. We are already familiar with the rail they use on the lower bed when requested, but I didn't think it could be used on the top as well. I would love to be wrong about that one!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
wl1117
Mouseketeer

When we sailed on the Fantasy in 2012 right after my eldest turned 4, I was told by our stateroom host that they wouldn't use the drop down bunk for her age, that she had to be 5. We were sailing Cat V which has a double sleeper sofa, so it wasn't a big issue, especially since our youngest was still in a pack 'n play.

We weren't sure she'd like the upper bunk anyways. Even at 5 she was a bit wary, though she ended up loving it.

6th DCL cruise -Magic - May 2, 2014
wl1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
mickeyhereicome
Mouseketeer

We were on the Wonder last June. My boys were 4 and 3. Both loved climbing up top to play on the top bunk, but only my 4 year old slept up there. I was concerned at first about falling out, but no issues. Also, we were in a inside room. Space was fine.
mickeyhereicome is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: