Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Wislodgers
Mouseketeer

On board internet service

We are going on a 4 day cruise and one member needs to access the internet for some online tests for a college class. How is the internet service on board? I let him know the prices but he is wondering about the service.

Thanks!
Wislodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wislodgers View Post
We are going on a 4 day cruise and one member needs to access the internet for some online tests for a college class. How is the internet service on board? I let him know the prices but he is wondering about the service.

Thanks!
Service can be extremely slow, depending on time of day that you want to access it. In our experience, it's not much better than the dial-up speeds.

Suggestion - can the individual take those tests whenever he/she wants to? Or only at a specific time? Using a free wifi spot in port would be much faster.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

S--L--O--W!!!

It is a satellitte connection with limited bandwidth divided by everyone else who is trying to get on. Either your friend should access the internet at 2 am when there is less people online, at a port (internet cafe) or try to take his exam prior to the cruise.

It takes 30 minutes just to check my email, and just consists on logging in and downloading (maybe 30-50 emails) and going off line. All reading and responses are done off line and then maybe another 30 minutes to upload responses. Very frustrating and a lot of being disconnected and trying to log back on.

I would seriously NOT recommend that your friend takes a test online. It will be hard to impossible. Can he take it before?

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Wislodgers
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the responses. I am going to pass this info on to him so he can make some decisions before we leave.
Wislodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 AM   #5
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wislodgers View Post

Thanks!
The Internet isn't guaranteed to work, so he shouldn't wait until the last minute.

Internet response is best when everyone else is asleep - so for anything like a test, plan on taking the test after 1am or before 6am.

If the test requires video or anything that needs high bandwidth - all bets are off...
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Cogwac
Earning My Ears

It appears Disney is launching a new internet service
(from another thread)

Over the next few weeks, new internet packages will be available onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships. Instead of charging by minutes used, the new Connect@Sea packages are based on the amount of megabytes (MB) used.

Your Clients can choose from the following package options:
"Pay As You Go ($.25 per MB): Perfect for Guests who are not sure how often they will be online.
"Small (100 per MB for $19): A good choice for Guests who want to check their email occasionally and then go back to enjoying their cruise.
"Medium (300 per MB for $39): Ideal for Guests that want to share their vacation photos with friends right away.
"Large (1,000 per MB for $89): This package covers all Internet needs. Guests can stream movies or their favorite music.

Connect@Sea services will be introduced onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships on the following sail dates:
"Disney Magic - Feb. 3, 2014
"Disney Dream - Feb. 16, 2014
"Disney Wonder - Feb. 26, 2014
"Disney Fantasy - March 8, 2014

Detailed information about the Connect@Sea options will be available in each Guest stateroom, at onboard internet cafes and at Guest Services.
Cogwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogwac View Post
It appears Disney is launching a new internet service
(from another thread)

Over the next few weeks, new internet packages will be available onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships. Instead of charging by minutes used, the new Connect@Sea packages are based on the amount of megabytes (MB) used.

Your Clients can choose from the following package options:
"Pay As You Go ($.25 per MB): Perfect for Guests who are not sure how often they will be online.
"Small (100 per MB for $19): A good choice for Guests who want to check their email occasionally and then go back to enjoying their cruise.
"Medium (300 per MB for $39): Ideal for Guests that want to share their vacation photos with friends right away.
"Large (1,000 per MB for $89): This package covers all Internet needs. Guests can stream movies or their favorite music.

Connect@Sea services will be introduced onboard the Disney Cruise Line ships on the following sail dates:
"Disney Magic - Feb. 3, 2014
"Disney Dream - Feb. 16, 2014
"Disney Wonder - Feb. 26, 2014
"Disney Fantasy - March 8, 2014

Detailed information about the Connect@Sea options will be available in each Guest stateroom, at onboard internet cafes and at Guest Services.
I'm not sure the actual service is different, just that the plans for charging for internet use is changing. Used to be charged by the minute, now it will be by the MB.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: