Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

*GT room availabilities

I was looking at DCL's website to see how much it would be to book the same room I have now vs when I booked it last year and the category was grayed out. I couldn't even price it. I just assumed the category was all sold out. However, when I called DCL the story was a bit different. I initially called for another reason but figured I'd ask if there were any rooms in my category left for me to consider moving to, and the CM told me my category is currently in GT status. So how are you supposed to know this and go about booking a GT room if the category is grayed out on their website? Do you just have to call to check and book? How do you typically go about booking a GT room?
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
scm
Mouseketeer

I've been checking my sailing for availability over the last 2 weeks and the fluctuation in categories available is eye popping. In my case,as an example, cat 9 (or inside cabins, or...) will not display at all on general enquiry one day but the next day/time it will be available to reserve but only as GTY. It's rather like musical chairs.
scm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
I was looking at DCL's website to see how much it would be to book the same room I have now vs when I booked it last year and the category was grayed out. I couldn't even price it. I just assumed the category was all sold out. However, when I called DCL the story was a bit different. I initially called for another reason but figured I'd ask if there were any rooms in my category left for me to consider moving to, and the CM told me my category is currently in GT status. So how are you supposed to know this and go about booking a GT room if the category is grayed out on their website? Do you just have to call to check and book? How do you typically go about booking a GT room?
If you already have a reservation, you can't switch it to a *GT booking, as those are for new bookings only.

You can, however, cancel your existing booking (with whatever penalties for cancelling that close to sail date), and book a *GT rate, if they are available. AFAIK, the only way to know whether there are those last minute restricted rates being offered is to check, cruise by cruise, and see if they are there.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

*GT is not the same as GTY.

GTY status means that they can offer you a stateroom in that category or better. But the price is the same as if there would be availability. You simply cannot select the category.

*GT refers to IGT/OGT/VGT. These are last minute rates that guarantee you a room TYPE. For example, for VGT you could get a 5E or a 4A or anything in between. These rates become available after PIF - typically around 60 days and are a lot cheaper than regular rates. On some cruises, they are even cheaper than opening day rates and some might actually benefit from switching (old reservation would be cancelled with a penalty and a new booking would be done - but can result in savings actually).

If only GTY shows, then it's probable that very few staterooms of that category are still available.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
If you already have a reservation, you can't switch it to a *GT booking, as those are for new bookings only.

You can, however, cancel your existing booking (with whatever penalties for cancelling that close to sail date), and book a *GT rate, if they are available. AFAIK, the only way to know whether there are those last minute restricted rates being offered is to check, cruise by cruise, and see if they are there.
Oh, I'm not looking to switch to GT rate. I booked early enough and got opening day rate so I'm ok with it. Right now my room is in aft and I've been checking periodically to see if any in the same category is available midship, which is why I had the CM check. The CM informed me that the only thing available in my category is "guaranteed status" her exact words. I was surprised that there were any available even in guaranteed status because the last I checked on DCL's website last week, I couldn't even select my category because it was grayed out, so that lead me to wonder how people could book a guaranteed status room on their website when the category is grayed out but CMs on the phone can still find rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
*GT is not the same as GTY.

GTY status means that they can offer you a stateroom in that category or better. But the price is the same as if there would be availability. You simply cannot select the category.

*GT refers to IGT/OGT/VGT. These are last minute rates that guarantee you a room TYPE. For example, for VGT you could get a 5E or a 4A or anything in between. These rates become available after PIF - typically around 60 days and are a lot cheaper than regular rates. On some cruises, they are even cheaper than opening day rates and some might actually benefit from switching (old reservation would be cancelled with a penalty and a new booking would be done - but can result in savings actually).

If only GTY shows, then it's probable that very few staterooms of that category are still available.
Ok, I can see that. That makes a bit more sense. I was surprised she even mentioned guaranteed status because I knew GT doesn't get released until after PIF and it's still a ways off from PIF.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: