Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #31
Barbydoll8
Offical Disney Dork

Villian meal

Yes I would go but I don't have kiddo's. I could see little ones in some cases being a bit scared. But I was there for MNSSHP and you couldn't tell that any of the kids were scared by the villians there. lol

As far as a villian's park is concerned, this was rumored many years ago and you can google it called Dark Kingdom. It was scrapped but maybe in the future we might see it.

Villians are "special" like the Star Wars weekends and I could see Disney whipping up something special to part us from our wallets a little more for Villians in the future.
Barbydoll8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #32
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

My kids wouldn't like it.
Lots of families at WDW with children. Why have a restaurant that you know right off the bad will not appeal to a large portion of the demographic of visitors?
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #33
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

Villains can be awesome if carefully managed, but not for toddlers. I was 7 when I first went back in April '72, and I vividly recall a thrilling encounter between my older brother and a hostile Captain Hook. I cherish that memory of Hook, but it watching it would have terrified me if I were younger. He was pretty mean!
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #34
mejo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnywho View Post
My kids wouldn't like it. Lots of families at WDW with children. Why have a restaurant that you know right off the bad will not appeal to a large portion of the demographic of visitors?
Villains are part of disney, leaving them out is missing part

mejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #35
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejo View Post
Villains are part of disney, leaving them out is missing part
I couldn't agree more and hope the new Maleficent movie ignites an interest in bringing more villains into the overall experience. What's good without evil?
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Tardisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #36
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnywho View Post
My kids wouldn't like it.
Lots of families at WDW with children. Why have a restaurant that you know right off the bad will not appeal to a large portion of the demographic of visitors?
Absolutely, but how many restaurants are at WDW among the 4 parks and dozens of resorts? Do you think having one character meal at one restaurant would have that much of a negative impact on the guest experience? You would have to actively seek it out and make a reservation to attend, it wouldn't be forced upon you. If you took your kid to a villain meal and knew they would be frightened, that's bad parenting, not bad marketing.
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Tardisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
JoWiJo
Longing to go back

I might be interested, provided it was done tastefully. If they could act more happy and sneaky than snarling and downright evil, then it might could work as a family meal. Or have a minimum age of ten. Or both. Like the Haunted Mansion is more fun than scary, if they had a villian's table meal with similar lighthearted efforts, it might be a blast.

Apparently, according to other posts, it's been tried and it failed. That doesn't mean it can't work, but it's less likely to be tried again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalayney View Post
Let's go bigger!

Actually.... (and I have put a lot of thought into this... ha ha) if they ever open a 5th park to Disneyworld? It should be an "all villain" park with the main focus being "thrill rides/roller coasters" . Take the top 4 disney villians of all time (that could be a whole other thread, lol) ... and make them into some awesome wicked roller coasters. Oh yes! Make another 4 more calmer rides for the whole family. Have 2 different sit down table service restaurants, 3 or 4 different counter service ones. Throw in a kick butt broadway style show, 2 meet and greets, some interactive $50 ticket/per child hour long "how to be an evil villain" party.... throw in at least 3 large souvy/trinket shops... and booya. Success and $$$ and happy Disney lovers that can get their thrills right on property w/out having to go over to Islands of Adventure. I think if it was themed right, it would be such fun and the teens/adults would eat this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueWho View Post
Lol you just gave them their next idea! ...coming in 2018!
That basic concept has been floated before. I vaguely remember a thread in the last year or so about a Dark Kingdom, an evil version of the Magic Kingdom. Supposedly people have gotten glimpses of official plans, and even seen park models, and imagineers that give select people special tours have shared the secret about an evil park.

My guess is that at the very best, someone once proposed the idea, it was greatly appreciated, but the obvious problem of small children being scared made the suggestion DOA. But knowing how interesting the idea was, they went ahead and had fun with select guests by sharing disinformation.

The idea of a park of villainy certainly is fascinating. But I don't see it happening. Things will happen that Disney doesn't want. Or for that matter, anyone with compassion. One bad memory I have of my last trip was a father angrily telling his obviouly frightened son that they were all going to ride Rock N Rollercoaster. While that is purely the fault of the father, I'm sure that scenario would play out 100-1000x over at a Dark Kindom. Some children would learn to fear and hate WDW, and avoid the Scariest Place On Earth at all costs, even as adults. That's certainly not what Disney wants.
Fourth visit 2009 -- Celebrated birthday by visiting Animal Kingdom.
Next visit -- Who knows?
JoWiJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #38
DisneyHumbug
DIS Veteran

We did the villains dinner at the GF...my kids were teens at the time and loved it......when my DS was 2 Mickey Mouse made him cry!

DVC 01
DisneyHumbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #39
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
I would love a villains dining experience or the increased presence of villains in ANY form. Just an FYI. In an internet context "trolling" means "trying to start arguments". I think everyone hear knew what you meant but you might get a bad reaction if you say someone else was trolling.
Ack! No, that's not what I intended at all! I hope no one thinks that--I meant trolling in the fishing context.

I was just planning our dinner reservations and thinking how cool it would be for a villains character dinner. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks that it would be kinda neat. I agree that it might be neat to offer it only for special occasions -- like Halloween season or Friday the 13th. While I can certainly understand those who want to celebrate happy heroes, I find some of the baddies highly amusing and funny and think it would be an entertaining character dining experience.
mom2pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #40
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
It's possible that the villains are so popular *because* they are not readily available most of the time. In which case having a regular "Villains Weekend" rather like the Star Wars Weekends might be a better option than having it being there all the time.
You make an excellent point! A weekend would probably be great!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #41
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspwrhr View Post
Yes. There used to be a Villians dinner at the GF. It was cancelled in the early 2000's due to low interest, or complaints of children being scared. Both seem to be prevailing opinions on its' demise. I can't remember how long it ran for, but it wasn't long, a year or two. I just remember hearing about it when I returned from one trip, planning on it for the next and then "poof", gone. They replaced it with Pooh and now the popular Cinderella meal.
Too bad! I could see younger children not enjoying it as much as teens or adults. Definitely not for everyone--but then again, I can see Pooh and Mickey Mouse being not quite as popular with the older crowds. I think teens in particular would get a kick out of interacting with the villains.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #42
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I would love a Villains meal and would go in a heartbeat. Those who are scared could easily avoid it. Star Wars could be OK if they don't make some of the characters too childish. Marvel won't happen so no point in thinking about it.
My husband would love to dine in the Cantina, that's for sure. HS--with Indiana Jones, the stunt show and Star Wars--is definitely his favourite park!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:25 PM   #43
WDW_Diane
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2pixies View Post
I was trolling this forum looking for news about some new dining experiences, as I thought I saw something online about a Disney Fairies character dining experience (which I'm guessing would be too good to be true!), but I haven't seen anything. This led me to think about other dining experiences and whether or not they would be successful. How many folks would be interested in attending a villains dining reservation? I can see this one being very successful--especially if it was set in a dark and dangerous restaurant--a dark castle, a dungeon, a cave beneath a mountain or perhaps even something sinister like the Haunted Mansion. Or how about Star Wars or Marvel character dining?
No, not my thing. I like the happy side of Disney, not the dark side.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #44
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'd go to a Disney Villian dining experience but could care less about Marvel villians.

I don't even know who they are except for the dude in Thor - Loki. My DD14 would love a dining experience with Loki - she thinks he's cool. And if Thor showed up in it, I'd be all for it.

I think Disney should do another dining experience more boy oriented. You know - Peter Pan and the Pirates. And have Wendy show up for the girls.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #45
aprildsygrl
Earning My Ears

I would love a villains dining experience! I love the villains, they are hilarious. I believe it would be great fun. As for the Star Wars dining my DS7 and Dh would absolutely LOVE that! Huge Star Wars fans!!!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
aprildsygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: