Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 01:42 AM   #46
HoneymoonandBEYOND
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by old lady View Post
I heard they have one in New Zealand, but it would be too scary for some children to have orcs running around unless they are more disney style goblins. Universal might be a little confussing with Potter banking goblins and orcs and goblisn running around.
That's one of the biggest reasons why I don't think it could exist in Universal, could you imagine having both of those franchises? They are rivals in the same medium.

Like I said though, not entirely sure this would really work anywhere to be honest. Just hard for me to imagine, it is far more expansive than almost any other book series and would be extremely hard to reproduce.

I think a Hunger Games world would be easier to Parkify, to be quite honest.

HoneymoonandBEYOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #47
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonandBEYOND View Post
That's one of the biggest reasons why I don't think it could exist in Universal, could you imagine having both of those franchises? They are rivals in the same medium.

Like I said though, not entirely sure this would really work anywhere to be honest. Just hard for me to imagine, it is far more expansive than almost any other book series and would be extremely hard to reproduce.

I think a Hunger Games world would be easier to Parkify, to be quite honest.
hah-- parkify -- my word for the day.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #48
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonandBEYOND View Post
That's one of the biggest reasons why I don't think it could exist in Universal, could you imagine having both of those franchises? They are rivals in the same medium. Like I said though, not entirely sure this would really work anywhere to be honest. Just hard for me to imagine, it is far more expansive than almost any other book series and would be extremely hard to reproduce. I think a Hunger Games world would be easier to Parkify, to be quite honest.
I like the hunger games and all but I just don't see what rides you could make with that franchise tho.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #49
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Hunger Games? a family friendly attraction of teens trying to kill each other? Why not Battle Royale then? It's much better

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #50
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
Hunger Games? a family friendly attraction of teens trying to kill each other? Why not Battle Royale then? It's much better
I was thinking that too. Ultimately Hunger Games is pretty dark.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #51
HoneymoonandBEYOND
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
hah-- parkify -- my word for the day.
Glad you liked my word! Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I like the hunger games and all but I just don't see what rides you could make with that franchise tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I didn't mean to say that the Hunger Games COULD or SHOULD be in a theme park, obviously content wise, that may draw some questions.

I mean the WORLD, as in the arena, and the Districts would be far easier to replicate/ theme at a theme park than the huge, expansive, heavily magical world of LoTR. I think it may look goofy due to the elements involved. Before people point to Harry Potter, I would argue that there are on a few small areas of extreme importance in Harry Potter (Hogwarts, forbidden forest, Diagon Alley) which are all containable and creatable within theme park limitations. LoTR... it would have to be majorly excessive and expansive to pull it off well, in my opinion. I was strictly speaking of theming, not of content or actual park ideas.

Hope that cleared up the confusion!

HoneymoonandBEYOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #52
Iowajes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
HP is definitely popular among my peers and so is the hobbit. LOTR isn't really and I've never even heard of the wheel of time whatever that is.
The Hobbit is the prequel to LOTR. Same world.
Iowajes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #53
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowajes View Post

The Hobbit is the prequel to LOTR. Same world.
Hobbit is the prequel to lord of the rings
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #54
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
HP is definitely popular among my peers and so is the hobbit. LOTR isn't really and I've never even heard of the wheel of time whatever that is.
As others have mentioned...Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (LOTR) are functionally the same thing. Hobbit is the "prequel" to LOTR.

Wheel of Time is a series of (very long) books written by Robert Jordan. Jordan passed away before the final book (which was actually split into THREE books) was published, and that (those?) volumes were finished and polished by Brandon Sanderson (though the plot details and events were dictated by Jordan, prior to his death, and shared with Jordan's family "to be sure" the final books were faithful to his vision).

The scope of Wheel of Time is HUGE, but..honestly...I'm not sure it's really a "theme park" ready property. I've read the first 9 of those books, and....while I enjoyed them...I can't see them making a great "theme park land". Or, for that matter, very good films. Just MHO.

The Goodkind Sword of Truth books would be (again, MHO) much better film properties...though likely similarly unsuitable for theme park inclusion.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #55
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

To build a themed area or land in a park you really need an enduring theme recognized by nearly everyone... Star Wars certainly qualifies... Avatar is questionable to me but with 2 more movies coming Disney is betting on a positive outcome.

For less enduring themes, Disney should do more of what Universal does: Use building interiors to theme rides that may have only a 5 to 8 year life... then tear it out and build something new inside. Leave the exterior bland or generically themed. Disney has this in the Studios somewhat but not elsewhere except the pavilion behind Canada and the UK in EPCOT.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #56
Eoghann
Earning My Ears

Oh god no please anything but generically themed exteriors.

Nothing kills the atmosphere faster than the 5th brick building.
Eoghann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #57
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
Oh god no please anything but generically themed exteriors.

Nothing kills the atmosphere faster than the 5th brick building.
Right that would be certainly the wrong direction. Leave the GTE's to uni.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #58
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I can only imagine...a ride where you are trying to avoid being killed by someone the entire time...May the odds be ever in your favor
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #59
Eoghann
Earning My Ears

Well Universal are moving pretty heavily away from generic buildings themselves.

It sort of made sense with the original park given the Studios theme. But IOA was much less like that and if you look at their recent builds, the new Simpsons stuff is all heavily themed and Diagon Alley isn't just themed on the inside, you've got the London waterfront look on the outside.
Eoghann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #60
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
Well Universal are moving pretty heavily away from generic buildings themselves.

It sort of made sense with the original park given the Studios theme. But IOA was much less like that and if you look at their recent builds, the new Simpsons stuff is all heavily themed and Diagon Alley isn't just themed on the inside, you've got the London waterfront look on the outside.
Agreed, IOA is all themed. Each area is like entering a different magical land. I thought it was amazing.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: