Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #31
TooExcitedCantSleep
Mouseketeer

I can't handle the drops but everyone should experience TOT once. Even if you just check out the queue and use the chicken exit - its that good of a ride. I wish they could split this ride into green and orange like Mission Space for people who want to do the dark ride portion without the elevator drop.
TooExcitedCantSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #32
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

BTW, for those on the fence: In addition to the fantastic theming in the lobby, the library, and the boiler room, the special effects at the beginning of the actual vehicle motion are very cool and not at all intense (just a little dark).
Fans of the original Twilight Zone tv series will especially enjoy this attraction.

I haven't actually timed it, but the "drop" portion of the ride probably is probably under a minute. Anybody know for sure?
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #33
disnut8
DIS Veteran

I don't like straight drops either but ride Twilight Zone.

HOWEVER - the thing that gets me is not the "drop" and the "ride" but the buildup. The entire Zone (pun intended) freaks me out. The lobby, the library, Rob Serling, the boiler room, the Cast Members in character, the elevators before even entering. Once seated, I will shake just from all that and then the ride begins.....................

And I scream some things that will never get mentioned here and I curse whoever came up with the ride but I emerge safely.

And then I go for a beer because, thankfully, Disney isn't stupid and has a stand very close by for that.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #34
Networth
DIS Veteran

So no 13 story, 130 foot drop is good because if that was the case I would not be riding. Just bounce up and down unless I become unlucky and get the 3 big drop sequence eh? I am usually great about not tensing up for thrill rides. Like someone mentioned "going with it" or "being one with the ride" And not fighting it makes the ride fun. Maybe I'll take the last posters advice and have a beer or two and just get on the damn elevator lol. Thanks everyone for your input and opinions. The last time I was down I was on a bus to HS and the guy across from me was talking to his son how he won't go on ToT but will do RNRC again no problem which kind of ruined my "I'm doing it this time" mind set.

Next Trip: ???

Last edited by Networth; 01-25-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Networth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #35
mikedoyleblogger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networth View Post
Now given my back story I feel like ToT should be nothing but I have this terrible fear of straight drops. Can anyone share some of their experiences? How bad is ToT? Can any compare it to some of the coasters I enjoy if you have ridden both? Are the drops very intense 30feet? 60 feet? 120 feet? I know most of this is subjective but ANY input would be appreciated. Riding ToT is litteraly on my list of things in life to do in 2014.
It's actually more intense than a straight drop because the ride vehicle is pulled by hydraulics at a speed faster than gravity. So you lose your stomach very quickly in both directions, going up and going down. You're also pulled up and down several times, so it's not just one drop you're talking about, it's several. Some of them are short and some of them are not--probably around 2/3 the heigh tof the tower, or around 130 feet of drop. And you're only held in by a seatbelt--which by design does not stop your rear from leaving the seat during the drops. So basically, ToT is probably the definition of what you're afraid of. I'd ride it anyway. If Hulk didn't kill you, neither will ToT.
WDW 1973 Poly | WDW Jul 1977 offsite | DLR Jul 1988 offsite | DLP Apr 2000 offsite | DLR Apr 2002 PPH | DLR Sep 2002 HoJo | DLR Dec 2002 HoJo | DLR Apr 2003 HoJo | DLR Dec 2005 HoJo | DLR Mar 2013 HoJo | WDW May 2013 Pop | DLR Oct 2013 HoJo | Moving to L.A. 2014!

Last edited by mikedoyleblogger; 01-25-2014 at 04:21 PM.
mikedoyleblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #36
mentul77
Mouseketeer

There's a really cool video that has background, inner workings, etc for ToT - now, when they do the ride on the drop sequence was done over multiple rides but this video is amazing. This is also MUCH milder than Dr Doom - that one is a never again and this one is one of my favorite rides (and I hate heights!) ToT Video

Me (Melanie) DH (David)

my first trip in 11 years and DH's 1st trip ever: Wilderness Lodge 5/29/10 - 6/5/10 * AKL Kidani - 11/26/11 - 12/3/11 * Caribbean Beach - 09/29/12-10/5/12
mentul77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:49 PM   #37
2012wdw
Earning My Ears

I like it, but I do hold on like my life depends on it. I too feel "safer" being in elevator and not an open drop.

If you sit against wall there is a handle on wall to hang onto along with small handles in between seats. Seat belts lock, feed it in nice and tight.
2012wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #38
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

I love ToT! That being said, I usually don't enjoy the "drop" type rides at "Amusement Parks" You know what I mean, no set up, no theme, you are raised above the entire park and just ...drop?

I will ride ToT over and over because it is always different and you don't just go down, you can go back up. Plus, when the doors open and you can see the park, you are not watching it all the way down.

I
Old 01-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #39
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyventures View Post
You will LOVE the WDW version if you like the DLR one. I usually think the rides both parks have are pretty comparable/better at DLR but WDW's version of ToT is the exception.
Completely disagree - theming of the WDW version is better (more space of course), I can even go that the lead-ups up to the drop sequence at WDW is better (once again, space).

That said, the actual drops are far superior at DLR. Since WDW went random you have a chance of a good one; at DLR the ride is consistently excellent.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #40
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva View Post
Completely disagree - theming of the WDW version is better (more space of course), I can even go that the lead-ups up to the drop sequence at WDW is better (once again, space).

That said, the actual drops are far superior at DLR. Since WDW went random you have a chance of a good one; at DLR the ride is consistently excellent.
I agree, I did both DL and WDW versions and like WDW better.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 AM   #41
Pooksie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networth View Post
So I have been to WDW 30+ times and never have ridden Tower of Terror. I love roller coasters(not just Disney ones). I ride everything at Universal(The Hulk,Rip Ride Rocket, Dueling Dragons etc), Busch Gardens Tampa, and Wild Adventures Coasters.

Now given my back story I feel like ToT should be nothing but I have this terrible fear of straight drops. Can anyone share some of their experiences? How bad is ToT? Can any compare it to some of the coasters I enjoy if you have ridden both? Are the drops very intense 30feet? 60 feet? 120 feet? I know most of this is subjective but ANY input would be appreciated. Riding ToT is litteraly on my list of things in life to do in 2014.

I really want to try it on my next trip but every time I look at one of those videos my stomach turns. Yet I can ride The Hulk or RNRC over and over. Please someone help me conquer this fear lol. Thanks for any input.
It's just a whole lotta fun..

Very worth doing.
Pooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #42
SnickerzKC
Earning My Ears

If my mom can do it then anyone can do it. She is not a fan of coaster/drop rides and sometimes gets motion sickness. It took a lot to get her to finally agree to ride it and once the ride started there definitely were a lot of grumbles about disowning me leading up to the drop but after it was all said and done she said it wasn't that bad and didn't experience any motion sickness.
SnickerzKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 AM   #43
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

i love it, but what i love most is when you pop up to the windows and can see over the whole park. just focus on that cool moment
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 on the GKTW team!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 AM   #44
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

ToT is my third favorite ride of all WDW! I go on it at least 4 different times each day we are at DHS, it's a fun and very well themed ride. The drops are not bad in my opinion, they could have me them a lot worse!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #45
AlixaLock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
i love it, but what i love most is when you pop up to the windows and can see over the whole park. just focus on that cool moment
This! I've never ridden at night and I can't wait to on our next trip!! Also have to say that I love TOT in both California and Florida, but the WDW version is much better, IMHO!! Forget Fantasyland I actually think that TOT and Everest are the best themed rides in the park!!!

Surprise! You are going to the Denstist trip to the Beach Club, February, 2014! Halloween Birthday Party, 2013 at the Contemporary! January, 2013 our last off season getaway at the Grand Floridian! June 9-18, 2012 Summer at the Bay Lake Tower! October 5-11, 2011 Food and Wine/MNSSHP at The Grand Flo; Jan/Feb 2011 Polynesian Dream Trip; June 2010 Grand Californian Dreaming (DL); March 2009 Boardwalk with Baby; May 2008 Baby meets Mickey at the Grand Californian (DL); January 2007 Grand Floridian, Dec 2005 Christmas at the Beach Club; 2003 Caribbean Beach ... 1974-1995 ..... Disneyland, Disneyland, Disneyland ...
AlixaLock is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: