Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #16
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glvsav37 View Post
Can we put a Shire pavilion in Epcot? I would love to see WDW get the rights bc I think too much current movie franchises are going to US, but frankly I can't imagine where it would fit outside of the studios. And for that it would require some serious land I did turn to my wife while we were watching the latest Hobbit movie and say how cool it Would be to add a "barrel" water ride themed in the escape from the wood Elfs.
disney has never relied on outside movies before though the only case they have done so is avatar. I just can't see disney buying the rights at this time.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
101disneyfan
Waiting for Avatar, Star Wars, Pixar Place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
disney has never relied on outside movies before though the only case they have done so is avatar. I just can't see disney buying the rights at this time.
I think what you meant to say maybe was that history has repeated itself. Yes, Disney has acquired other franchises and studios, that are NOW Disney movies and characters. But... The Muppets and Lucasfilm characters were in the parks as early as 1989 with Star Tours and Indiana Jones, with Muppetvision in '91.

If history repeats itself again, then fifteen years down the line, Disney will acquire Lightstorm Entertainment from James Cameron.

Walt Disney World September 23-25, 2005 CBR, October 6-9, 2007 MNSSHP (Video), June 23-28, 2013 (Video)
101disneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #18
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101disneyfan View Post
I think what you meant to say maybe was that history has repeated itself. Yes, Disney has acquired other franchises and studios, that are NOW Disney movies and characters. But... The Muppets and Lucasfilm characters were in the parks as early as 1989 with Star Tours and Indiana Jones, with Muppetvision in '91. If history repeats itself again, then fifteen years down the line, Disney will acquire Lightstorm Entertainment from James Cameron.
yes correct. Disney just doesn't buy a movies park rights without some motive. Disney and Lucas films have had a long partnership and Lucas wanted his company to go to the right place that being disney. Same with all the others. I do believe that it could be very very possible that James Cameron decides to retire and gives lightstorm to disney. Disney isn't universal where they just pick up movies here and there and make lands or rides off of them.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Unhappy ~I hope not....

~I'm looking forward to Avatarland, Star Wars Land, and some kind of Pixar expansion. I don't care to see Lord of Rings or Hobbit land, at all.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #20
HoneymoonandBEYOND
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymac000 View Post
I think it shouldn't go to disney and the Tolkien Estate already said it would never give Disney any of the rights. Universal would do a better job at it than Disney I believe anyway like they are doing with WWoHP and would be done 10 years faster.
Meh,
Universal messed up WWoHP, and this comes from a first edition HP book owning hardcore fan.

Universal, in their rush to make WWoHP and grab money from the last movie rush, made it WAY to cramped, too small, and left out some cool details that could have further heightened it. They are making up for this now building the second part of it, which should have been done originally.

As a passholder at both places, I think Disney does a better and higher quality job on details than Universal, and a world like LoTR would need that.

That all being said, I believe this is not something that will ever see light. At least, not for a long while. I am in thorough belief that after AvatarLand is done, Star Wars land will be the next big creation at Disney World. It just makes sense.

I will say though, LoTR has a GIGANTIC following, and I could see it springing to life in a theme park one day (especially with the modern movies helping rejuvenate it). I think Disney would be good for it, however I think there are other things on the Disney mind right now.

HoneymoonandBEYOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #21
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonandBEYOND View Post
Meh,
Universal messed up WWoHP, and this comes from a first edition HP book owning hardcore fan.

Universal, in their rush to make WWoHP and grab money from the last movie rush, made it WAY to cramped, too small, and left out some cool details that could have further heightened it. They are making up for this now building the second part of it, which should have been done originally.

As a passholder at both places, I think Disney does a better and higher quality job on details than Universal, and a world like LoTR would need that.

That all being said, I believe this is not something that will ever see light. At least, not for a long while. I am in thorough belief that after AvatarLand is done, Star Wars land will be the next big creation at Disney World. It just makes sense.

I will say though, LoTR has a GIGANTIC following, and I could see it springing to life in a theme park one day (especially with the modern movies helping rejuvenate it). I think Disney would be good for it, however I think there are other things on the Disney mind right now.
Supposedly, a lot of the reason HP is so small is because this is how JK Rowling wanted it. She is apparently heavily involved in the planning and Universal can't do a thing without her approval.

I personally would love to see something done with LOTR but preferably at Universal. LOTR is very magical and other-wordly (way more so than Avatar or Star Wars) and I think that Universal is better at creating that type of atmosphere.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #22
HoneymoonandBEYOND
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Supposedly, a lot of the reason HP is so small is because this is how JK Rowling wanted it. She is apparently heavily involved in the planning and Universal can't do a thing without her approval.

I personally would love to see something done with LOTR but preferably at Universal. LOTR is very magical and other-wordly (way more so than Avatar or Star Wars) and I think that Universal is better at creating that type of atmosphere.
She was/ is very involved with WWoHP,

But I truly believe the size was due to rushed production. Universal wanted to capitalize off the remaining movies hype, and new they had a deadline to meet. Therefore, instead of making it kick off bigger (even would have been a proponent of the 2 park way currently being added) I think they cut corners to make money.

I mean, it is a business - do what you got to do no matter the thoughts, I understand that.

I think Disney does pay more attention to small details and magical worlds though, it's basically what they specialize in. Either way - would be cool at either park, no doubt.

HoneymoonandBEYOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #23
twebber55
DIS Veteran

the numbers speak for themselves in regards to WWOHP....i was just there this past friday and it never gets old..im always awestruck when i first walk in...hopefully DA will do the same thing....im a LOTR fan but i still struggle with the adaptation to a theme park but obviously its the best IP left
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #24
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:

But I truly believe the size was due to rushed production. Universal wanted to capitalize off the remaining movies hype, and new they had a deadline to meet. Therefore, instead of making it kick off bigger (even would have been a proponent of the 2 park way currently being added) I think they cut corners to make money.

I mean, it is a business - do what you got to do no matter the thoughts, I understand that.

I think Disney does pay more attention to small details and magical worlds though, it's basically what they specialize in. Either way - would be cool at either park, no doubt.
The flip side to that is if Rowling didn't approve of the size then she would have put a stop to that. That aside, I don't agree that Universal cut corners. They are landlocked and that will limit size too of course but I think that WWoHP is one of most detailed and well done areas of any themepark. I respect that you don't agree though.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #25
Iowajes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
in my opinion universal would be perfect for lord of the rings but I don't know if it would be a successful land like they would want it to be. I don't see the younger generation being fans of it not like Star Wars or Harry potter.
The Hobbit was published in 1937. The LotR trilogy was published in the 50s. Several movie versions have been made. I think the appeal of Tolkein's series has proven to be quite lasting.
Iowajes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #26
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have to disagree with you there. WDW has had some instances where they have failed to pay attention to detail...just off the top of my head the yeti. I think IOA is spectacular and rivals anything WDW has done. It is far better than Epcot, HS and AK and the only reason I will give MK the win is pure nostalgia. I think Uni/IOA pays just as much attention to detail as WDW. I do not think they have cornered the market there. I was blown away by the attention to detail we saw and would have never expected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowajes View Post
The Hobbit was published in 1937. The LotR trilogy was published in the 50s. Several movie versions have been made. I think the appeal of Tolkein's series has proven to be quite lasting.

Exactly The old cartoons are AWESOME(My dh thinks I'm a total nerd)
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowajes View Post
yes but I myself being a teenager I don't see it being incredibly popular or anything not like Harry potter.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #28
Tardisblue
Earning My Ears

I'm probably in the minority here, but I just do not get the fascination with Avatar at all. To me, this will be another reason to skip AK.

Epcot has plenty of room for more countries. Why not add New Zealand and make LoTR an extension of that?
July 1973 - Contemporary; March 1983 - Offsite; November 1995 - Wilderness Lodge; June 2002 - Offsite; Sept 2009 - Offsite; August 2011 - Offsite; August 2012 - Offsite; May 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; August 2013 - Offsite; January 2014 - All Star Movies; May 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Disneyland
2001 - Offsite

Tardisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #29
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardisblue View Post
I'm probably in the minority here, but I just do not get the fascination with Avatar at all. To me, this will be another reason to skip AK. Epcot has plenty of room for more countries. Why not add New Zealand and make LoTR an extension of that?
there is not a fascination with avatar. It's just that it was one of the highest grossing movies of all time. I was not a big fan of the movie and a lot of people weren't but that doesn't mean it can't make a good land or rides. With Disney imagineers and James Cameron working together anything is possible. Flying on a banshee around floating mountains and the bioluminescent forest. The new night time Kilimanjaro safaris Everest at night, and the new night time spectacular how could this not draw more people to this park. Also don't see lord of the rings in Epcot if it went to Disney I think DHS would be where it would go if it were a land. If it's just a single attraction than it could go anywhere.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #30
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
there is not a fascination with avatar. It's just that it was one of the highest grossing movies of all time. I was not a big fan of the movie and a lot of people weren't but that doesn't mean it can't make a good land or rides. With Disney imagineers and James Cameron working together anything is possible. Flying on a banshee around floating mountains and the bioluminescent forest. The new night time Kilimanjaro safaris Everest at night, and the new night time spectacular how could this not draw more people to this park. Also don't see lord of the rings in Epcot if it went to Disney I think DHS would be where it would go if it were a land. If it's just a single attraction than it could go anywhere.
It may have been, but how would a sequel do? I don't know many people besides my dad who actually liked the movie, though it did seem like it would be good. Most thought it was just eh. Now all of the movies in LOTR and the Hobbit(obviously the last not out yet) are in the top 40 of highest grossing movies of all time. That says a lot about them as a franchise. I disagree they are not popular with youth, I'm sure there are some that don't like it sure, but I think it has appeal at least more appeal than Avatar. Now that doesn't mean I think Avatar land will flop in AK, b/c you don't have to like the movie to like the land, just like you don't have to like HP or LOTR to like those rides. My dd doesn't like Beauty and The Beast much, but she loved eating at BOG. The castle is FAB!!

I still think it would fit better at IOA, but I'd be happy to visit Middle Earth at either park. Just love the idea
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: