Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
MrRay
Mouseketeer

"Witty Trip Report Title" 2 --Bigger, Longer, Uncut

This is a sequel to Last January's "Witty Western-Fantasy Trip Report Title" which you can find here

We're Bob and Jenna from NYC.

After completing a fantastic 7 Night Western on the Fantasy Last year, which again you can read about here
we decided to rebook for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean starting January 11th. But then like most sequels we decided to make it bigger and better when we saw that the Magic would have just returned to Port Canaveral. It didn't seem like too much extra money considering we were already flying down so we decided on a 4 night cruise on the Magic January 6-10 and then a 7 night Eastern Caribbean starting January 11th.

Magic and Fantasy...

I found this picture on the DIS right after the Fantasy Launched. I'm sorry whoever I grabbed it from for not crediting you properly.

Like most sequels it wasn't all great though. Some challenging travel plans in the beginning and some terrible weather on the Magic made for a difficult start but things eventually turned our way and we finished strong.

But we'll get there...

January 6th. It's Time! Have a Magical Vacation!. If you can get here...
-----All aboard is in 15 minutes...
-----We're here, lets eat
-----Um...Now what do we do...
January 7th, Nassau
-----Around the ship
January 8th, Castaway Cay
-----Mixology
January 9th, Driving around in circles
January 10th, Wrapping up the Magic
-----An afternoon in Epcot
January, 11th, Port Canaveral...Round 2
-----The First Few Hours
-----Sailing Away
-----Dinner
January 12th, Day 2... At Sea
-----Mixology
January 13th, Day 3...At Sea
-----Odds and Ends
-----What the Heck is that
January 14th, St. Maarten
-----The rest of the afternoon
-----Pirate Night
January 15th, St. Thomas-St. John Champagne Catamaran Sail and Snorkel
-----The Rest of the Day
January 16th, At Sea
-----More Odds and Ends
January 17th, Castaway Cay
-----Fun in the partly cloudy sun...
-----The Last Night
January 18th, Heading Home

Last edited by MrRay; 02-22-2014 at 11:38 AM.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Susan121302
Mouseketeer

I just read through your TR from last year and loved it. I am REALLY excited for this one now, since we are doing the Eastern next year on the Fantasy. Looking forward to more!
Susan121302 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
SacCruiser
Earning My Ears

Enjoyed your first report and cant wait to hear about this trip! Thanks for posting.

1st DCL:
December 14th 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2nd DCL:
November 28th, 2015, Fantasy Western Caribbean
SacCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
JayhawkFans
Mouseketeer

So happy I stumbled upon your cruise reviews this afternoon as I'm sitting at work suffering from PDD (Post Disney Depression). Looking forward to reading all about your recent cruise(s).

Disney Dream - 1/12/14- 4-night Bahamian
Disney Dream - 9/26/13- 3-night Bahamian
JayhawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
totallymickey
Earning My Ears

Just recently read your report from last year. Cruised on the Fantasy this past Christmas and am missing the cruising life. We booked the Magic for Thanksgiving, so interested on your thoughts.
Dec 2013-BLT Jan 2013-SSR March 2012-SSR May 2010-VWL Oct 2009 OKW June 2009-SSR Jan 2 009-BCV June 2008-Pop Jan 2008-Poly Oct 2007-Swan Jan 2007-Pop July 2007-POF Oct 2006-Boardwalk Inn May 2006-Wilderness Lodge Oct 2005-Contemporary
EC-2008 Magic EC-2009 Magic Mexican Riviera 2011-Wonder WC-2013 Fantasy
totallymickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 AM   #7
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

I'm onboard for the adventure!
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014, Nov 2014 (B2B) RCCL Enchantment Nov 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Janny
Earning My Ears

Smile Hi!!!

Dear Bob & Jenna,
Feel like I know you by reading your excellent first trip report!!! Thank you
for posting so much great information that I'm studying and writing down for our July trip on the "Fantasy".
Question?
Did you happen to notice any wheelchairs on board and how they navigated?? Our youngest of three children is in a wheelchair and they gave us an accessible room. We have to go through alot of legwork to contact the infirmary to give them a list of her medications, etc. . My husband and I were just curious if there seemed to be a little safe haven to park her out of the way of other guests and how the wheelchairs were in the restaurants. She is a tiny little sweetheart and doesn't make a peep, but I don't want to inconvenience other guests with excuse me, pardon me, etc.
Thanks!
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
DisneYE
Mouseketeer

I read last nite your 1st TR and its awesome...great pictures and the report was excellent all around... LF to this one as well.. Following along.
PS. you guys make a beautiful couple and you remind me of DW and I 10 years ago...
Old 01-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
nataliej_vk
Mouseketeer

Loved your first trip report and cannot wait to follow your adventures in this new one!
Dec 2012 - Disney Dream/Port Orleans - Riverside
Sept 2013 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
2014 - Who Knows the world is my oyster!
Nothing Ventured nothing Gain - so give it a shot it may be worth it!
nataliej_vk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny View Post
Dear Bob & Jenna,
Feel like I know you by reading your excellent first trip report!!! Thank you
for posting so much great information that I'm studying and writing down for our July trip on the "Fantasy".
Question?
Did you happen to notice any wheelchairs on board and how they navigated?? Our youngest of three children is in a wheelchair and they gave us an accessible room. We have to go through alot of legwork to contact the infirmary to give them a list of her medications, etc. . My husband and I were just curious if there seemed to be a little safe haven to park her out of the way of other guests and how the wheelchairs were in the restaurants. She is a tiny little sweetheart and doesn't make a peep, but I don't want to inconvenience other guests with excuse me, pardon me, etc.
Thanks!
We noticed a few people in wheel chairs. First off you shouldn't feel bad at all. We never felt anything but compassion for anyone we saw wheeling around. The ship seems very accessible. The restaurants all seem very easy to get into.

The only real tip I would have is if Cabanas seems too crazy you can eat breakfast and lunch in royal court which was always pretty empty and much calmer. There are also always tons of staff there to help.

Just don't feel bad or like you are inconveniencing anyone, the overall mood is much more relaxed.

You'll have a great time!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
MrRay
Mouseketeer

It's Time! Have a Magical Vacation!. If you can get here...

We begin our journey on January 6th in the early hours of the morning. We arrived at the airport around 5:15 am for a 7:10 am flight that was supposed to land around 10. There had been a lot of bad weather in the NY area, and the day before an incident with one air craft sliding off the runway. Throw in new FAA regulations on how much pilots can fly that had started only days earlier and you have a crowded and stressful airport. I tried my best to stay positive.

When we arrived we realized that our flight had been delayed. This is not what you want to hear when you are getting on a cruise that day.

2:20 is definitely cutting it close.

On the total flip side though it made the line less stressful. We checked in online but the line to drop bags was over an hour long. Between that and security I think we spent about 90 minutes to get into the gates. We opted to sit down and kill some time at breakfast.

With all the time in the world to kill I reviewed our travel insurance documents. Our worst case scenario, while still a bummer, was we could fly to Nassau and meet the boat the next day..as long as we could get out of NY. We kept hearing announcements telling people to leave if their flights were canceled because there was NOTHING available for 3 days.

Jenna called DCL and let them know our status, they said we were fine but to call if it got any later.

It was actually on the warmer side but our plane was delayed 5 hours flying in from Salt Lake City.

As can almost always be expected the estimated departure time kept slipping. Now we were looking at arriving close to 3:30. Jenna spoke with DCL again and they said they would try their best, we were using their transfers from the airport so they said they would try and have someone waiting for us at the gate to help get us through the airport faster.

We boarded around 12:15, turned off our phones, and settled in. We had 3 helpless hours to try to relax because once we landed we knew it was going to be a race...

Last edited by MrRay; 01-29-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
RhondaInMA
Mouseketeer

Enjoyed the first... following along.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

Joining in.