Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #61
rteetz
DIS Veteran
 
rteetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
Well, according to some here, Disney is about to be toppled by Universal any day now. Hyperbole from me? A bit, but not too much.
I don't see any use of hyperbole what so ever
__________________
Blood, Sweat and No Tears (Maybe) A July 2014 TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3312439

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #62
mvk
Mouseketeer
 
mvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I don't see any use of hyperbole what so ever
OMG they built a train!!!! And instead of windows it will have monitors that show countryside!!!! OMG!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO PAY FOR A TWO PARK PASS TO STAND IN LINE FOR 45 MINUTES SO I CAN RIDE ON A TRAIN!!!!! It's so awesome!!! Why can't I ride on a train at WDW??? Or get transportation from one park to another on a train???? OMG!!!! UNIVERSAL IS TEH BEST!!!!

I think that is the standard reaction.
__________________
WDW CP - Fall 1998 - Merchandising - Emporium (Main Street USA, Magic Kingdom)
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #63
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
OMG they built a train!!!! And instead of windows it will have monitors that show countryside!!!! OMG!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO PAY FOR A TWO PARK PASS TO STAND IN LINE FOR 45 MINUTES SO I CAN RIDE ON A TRAIN!!!!! It's so awesome!!! Why can't I ride on a train at WDW??? Or get transportation from one park to another on a train???? OMG!!!! UNIVERSAL IS TEH BEST!!!!

I think that is the standard reaction.
This is a strange post. I can't wait to see pandora, and I think magicbands will finally show their full potential with the interactive components.

But I don't see how the Harry potter additions are lame? They are equally cool.

If those attractions were coming to Disney every body would be thrilled.

Really strange post.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #64
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran
 
Yellowstonetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
OMG they built a train!!!! And instead of windows it will have monitors that show countryside!!!! OMG!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO PAY FOR A TWO PARK PASS TO STAND IN LINE FOR 45 MINUTES SO I CAN RIDE ON A TRAIN!!!!! It's so awesome!!! Why can't I ride on a train at WDW??? Or get transportation from one park to another on a train???? OMG!!!! UNIVERSAL IS TEH BEST!!!!

I think that is the standard reaction.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
This is a strange post. I can't wait to see pandora, and I think magicbands will finally show their full potential with the interactive components.

But I don't see how the Harry potter additions are lame? They are equally cool.

If those attractions were coming to Disney every body would be thrilled.

Really strange post.
It is sarcasm, not always apparent on the internet, but I would say there is a 94.7% probability that the intent was humor. (Typed with one eyebrow raised) This was poking fun at the "Everything Universal does is gold and everything Disney does is only for money and stupid" arguments.

I would not be thrilled to have HP at Disney. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Gives something to keep Universal alive.

And I agree it is all good. HP is great and Pandora will be, too.
__________________
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #65
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post




It is sarcasm, not always apparent on the internet, but I would say there is a 94.7% probability that the intent was humor. (Typed with one eyebrow raised) This was poking fun at the "Everything Universal does is gold and everything Disney does is only for money and stupid" arguments.

I would not be thrilled to have HP at Disney. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Gives something to keep Universal alive.

And I agree it is all good. HP is great and Pandora will be, too.
I am familiar with sarcasm. I didn't see any of it. Just anger or bitterness. It is an odd post.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #66
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran
 
Yellowstonetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I am familiar with sarcasm. I didn't see any of it. Just anger or bitterness. It is an odd post.
Oh come on! It was funny. Over the top, funny. Obviously over the top funny.

Must have hit a nerve.

We all must agree to disagree at times as we argue over theme parks. We aren't arguing over which surgical technique is required to save a person's life in the ER.

It's all fun and games... until somebody loses an eye.
__________________
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #67
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,937

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post

Except sales aren't declining. As I posted above, in 2011, they spiked 6% to $1.5B. In 2012, they stayed at $1.5B.

Nothing there indicates that sales are declining. They might not have an individual toy in the WalMart/Target top 10, but they sale such a wide range of merchandise that they still are #2 in licensed sales overall.
Well yeah...I know that...star wars is a merchandising juggernaut that had never been duplicated and still sell far more than it ever should...everybody can see that

I was doing the "benefit of the doubt/devils advocate/don't rock the boat" thing
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #68
rteetz
DIS Veteran
 
rteetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Oh come on! It was funny. Over the top, funny. Obviously over the top funny. Must have hit a nerve. We all must agree to disagree at times as we argue over theme parks. We aren't arguing over which surgical technique is required to save a person's life in the ER. It's all fun and games... until somebody loses an eye.
I agree it was funny
__________________
Blood, Sweat and No Tears (Maybe) A July 2014 TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3312439

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #69
Suger Mag
DIS Veteran
 
Suger Mag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Oh come on! It was funny. Over the top, funny. Obviously over the top funny.

Must have hit a nerve.

We all must agree to disagree at times as we argue over theme parks. We aren't arguing over which surgical technique is required to save a person's life in the ER.

It's all fun and games... until somebody loses an eye.

Yup totally funny.
__________________
Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Cruise July 2013* Spring Break on the Wonder March 2014

Canada * England * Belgium * Netherlands * France * Denmark * Sweden * Norway * Austria * Hungary * Yugoslavia * Spain * Morocco * Egypt * Mexico * Germany * Caribbean
Suger Mag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #70
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Oh come on! It was funny. Over the top, funny. Obviously over the top funny.

Must have hit a nerve.

We all must agree to disagree at times as we argue over theme parks. We aren't arguing over which surgical technique is required to save a person's life in the ER.

It's all fun and games... until somebody loses an eye.

~Yes! It was hilarious! I always enjoy reading mvk's posts!
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #71
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer
 
Rumors Rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post




It is sarcasm, not always apparent on the internet, but I would say there is a 94.7% probability that the intent was humor. (Typed with one eyebrow raised) This was poking fun at the "Everything Universal does is gold and everything Disney does is only for money and stupid" arguments.

I would not be thrilled to have HP at Disney. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Gives something to keep Universal alive.

And I agree it is all good. HP is great and Pandora will be, too.
Agreed-except I would place probability at somewhere around 100% humor.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #72
Disney Von Drake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 534

Disney knows that any attempt to reinvigorate the Star Wars universe is risky. They're going to hedge their bets and mostly likely give Pixar a shot at bringing Star Wars back to life: http://www.hypable.com/2014/01/22/pi...ar-wars-movie/
Disney Von Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #73
Borishack
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I am familiar with sarcasm. I didn't see any of it. Just anger or bitterness. It is an odd post.
You are correct and the "oh, lighten up" finger wagging that was thrown at you reflects the fact you struck a nerve when you identified the fact the attempt at spoofing was lame. Or put another way, the moment someone who has mocked you starts gets defensive by saying "oh, it was just a joke," you can be certain that it wasn't.
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #74
mvk
Mouseketeer
 
mvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post
Disney knows that any attempt to reinvigorate the Star Wars universe is risky. They're going to hedge their bets and mostly likely give Pixar a shot at bringing Star Wars back to life: http://www.hypable.com/2014/01/22/pi...ar-wars-movie/
You're still at this?

Star Wars is risky? It needs to be brought back to life?

$1.5B in merchandise sold in 2012, second to only Disney Princess. A lot of life, there seems to be. Back from the dead, it does not need brought.
__________________
WDW CP - Fall 1998 - Merchandising - Emporium (Main Street USA, Magic Kingdom)
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #75
rteetz
DIS Veteran
 
rteetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
You're still at this? Star Wars is risky? It needs to be brought back to life? $1.5B in merchandise sold in 2012, second to only Disney Princess. A lot of life, there seems to be. Back from the dead, it does not need brought.
totally Star Wars is a major money maker. Especially once the new trilogy come out that will reopen an already massive fan base.
__________________
Blood, Sweat and No Tears (Maybe) A July 2014 TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3312439

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: