Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #31
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
like a broken record....

blah blah blah blah... Disney Sucks.... blah blah blah blah... Universal and Harry Potter is Amazing and the only future of theme park rides.... blah blah blah blah... Avatar is the worst movie EVER... blah blah blah blah... Disney Sucks..... blah blah blah blah... Universal and Harry Potter is Amazing and the only future of theme park rides.... blah blah blah blah... Avatar is the worst movie EVER... blah blah blah blah....

Don't like the park? then don't go!! It is a free country. The way some folks carry on about Avatar is like it is life and death... relax.... no one is going to force you to ride the new Avatar rides or even go to Animal Kingdom. You can stay at Universal and ride the Forbidden Journey to your heart's content. But enough already with the silly over the top negativity.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #32
TJSkinner
Earning My Ears

Obviously I watched a different film, because the climax was about transformation. The earthling transformed through the holy trees power and became Navi. Transformation: taking something and making it something else. Funny that appears to be at the heart of the whole add Pandora to Animal Kingdom. Transform the park into some place people want to spend the whole day, and into the night at. Wow, what a concept. disney has been transforming things for years.
Disney Cruise November 2013
TJSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #33
Disney Von Drake
DIS Veteran

3D and Star Wars have a lot in common in that they are both fun little fads. If Disney is able to revive Star Wars with the new movies, it could turn into a popular franchise once again. For now it only appeals to aging nostalgia buffs. It would be a huge mistake to base any attraction on the old Lucas soap opera. The old Star Wars is nothing more than fodder for parody of the old movies and its over the top geek fans.

As for Avatar, the story is not at all important. The look and feel of Pandora is the real attraction. It will be a huge draw for AK.
Disney Von Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #34
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post
3D and Star Wars have a lot in common in that they are both fun little fads. If Disney is able to revive Star Wars with the new movies, it could turn into a popular franchise once again. For now it only appeals to aging nostalgia buffs. It would be a huge mistake to base any attraction on the old Lucas soap opera. The old Star Wars is nothing more than fodder for parody of the old movies and its over the top geek fans.

As for Avatar, the story is not at all important. The look and feel of Pandora is the real attraction. It will be a huge draw for AK.
Surely you jest about Star Wars or you don't spend much time with kids, I take it. My son is 27 and loves Star Wars. Kids today love Star Wars because of the TV show and games. During the summer camp week where I am a director we did a Star Wars theme dinner and evening including watching one of the movies. The KIDS were absolutely GAGA over Star Wars. One of the most popular themes we have run. Also both Toys R US and Walmart near me had sections of Star Wars toys.

Star Wars is a phenomenon that is alive, well, and unlike anything else.

However, I agree completely what you said about Pandora.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #35
Borishack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
like a broken record
Yes, it really is quite fatiguing to hear these not so Golden all that matters is $$$ oldies repeating themselves endlessly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Avatar made tons of money at the theater, tons of money on blue ray, and will continue to make tons of money
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
boxoffice haul
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
3 sequels in fact im sure each will make a billion plus each movie
Quote:
A movie that brings in BILLIONS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
largest box office movie of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudoru View Post
the highest grossing movie of all time
Quote:
all time gross in movies at 2.8 billion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
box office record for highest grossing film
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 AM   #36
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack View Post
Yes, it really is quite fatiguing to hear these not so Golden all that matters is $$$ oldies repeating themselves endlessly:
You forgot the 9 acad award nominations with three wins
Dude you need to relax and get over this its coming no matter how much you hate it

Ill take bob igers opinion as well as tom staggs opinion over angry message board guy every time

All those numbers you hate are facts deal with it

My biggest concern with pandora is the mobs of people i have to try to avoid when it opens
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 AM   #37
Borishack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You forgot the 9 acad award nominations with three wins
Which were for visual and technical elements, categories people don't even care about (quick - what film won best art direction at the 72nd Academy Awards in 1989? )

What they do remember are the winners for the big categories. That's where Avatar consistently struck out, losing best picture to the Hurt Locker, losing best director to Kathryn Bigelow, losing best original score to Michael Giacchino and losing best film editing to Chris Innis and Bob Murawski . It couldn't even pull out wins the lower tier audio oriented technical categories of sound editing or sound mixing. Most notably, (and not at all surprisingly) it wasn't even nominated in script or acting categories. How could it be, given the insipid plot and forgettable characters?

Quote:
Ill take bob igers opinion as well as tom staggs opinion
Good luck with the crew that brought us "New Fantasyland" and "Magic+".

Quote:
angry message board guy
Quote:
hate
Quote:
deal with it
Now who are you referring to as angry?
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #38
planningjollyholiday
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim

Surely you jest about Star Wars or you don't spend much time with kids, I take it. My son is 27 and loves Star Wars. Kids today love Star Wars because of the TV show and games. During the summer camp week where I am a director we did a Star Wars theme dinner and evening including watching one of the movies. The KIDS were absolutely GAGA over Star Wars. One of the most popular themes we have run. Also both Toys R US and Walmart near me had sections of Star Wars toys.

Star Wars is a phenomenon that is alive, well, and unlike anything else.

However, I agree completely what you said about Pandora.
I completely agree. I have two son's. Ages 4 and 10. Both LOVE star wars. They have light sabers, action figures, books, shirts, movies, video games, etc. My 4 year old hasn't even watched a whole movie because I think some of the parts are too much for him to handle at his age, yet he is still obsessed with it. Disney must make a ton of money from merchandising.
planningjollyholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #39
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Don't quote me out of context Boris. My post, not even in this thread, was expressing mild skepticism about the Avatar project. If you didn't read my post any closer than that before cutting and pasting the phrase you were looking for then I have reason to doubt half the stuff you paste here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
I dunno; I know Avatar made a buttload of money, but it bothers me that I don't know the first Avatar geek. I know geeks for just about every imaginable franchise, but not one person who stays geeked up for this one.

Just checked Reddit and was surprised to see there's not even a subreddit for Avatar. I thought everything that more than one person on Earth mildly cared about had a subreddit.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #40
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Von Drake View Post

Star Wars is still very popular and not just among nostalgic adults. May any adults who grew up on Star Wars have introduced it to their kids who are now fans. Go to your local toy store and look at how much shelf space is devoted to Star Wars. Probably more space then any other single franchise. Also the Clone Wars TV series was very popular and brought Star Wars to a younger audience.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #41
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
Star Wars is still very popular and not just among nostalgic adults. May any adults who grew up on Star Wars have introduced it to their kids who are now fans. Go to your local toy store and look at how much shelf space is devoted to Star Wars. Probably more space then any other single franchise. Also the Clone Wars TV series was very popular and brought Star Wars to a younger audience.
I agree disney should bring some of the old, present and future of Star Wars to the parks that would be great.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #42
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~This has become so boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack View Post

~Wow. It's been a while, but nice baiting. I have purposely avoided this most "recent" Avatar debate. It used to be fun with all of the wild rumors about Avatarland being cancelled. But now, it's like what's the point? The project has been officially green lighted and the shovels are "officially" in the ground.

~Simply put -- we win, you lose. Avatarland is coming whether we like it or not. I, for one am very excited.

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 01-20-2014 at 09:15 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #43
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu View Post
For those of you who are long time Disney watchers what should we all take from the Avatar groundbreaking? Is this really going to happen and at the scale they've discussed?

I know Disney is always working on ideas, and that some projects start and never finish. Even when construction started.

Others go from "gigantic new land with three e-tickets and five restaurants" in concept to "land expansion with one mid-sized ride" at construction start to "themed bathroom and gift shop" by the end...

So how "locked in" is Disney on this, as a large scale project?

My uneducated guess is very locked in.

With all the activity at US, it would look bad to stop after all the hoopla (though it would take 24 hours and a Star Wars plan to overcome that...)

The bigger reason is that Disney seems to have a clear and compelling cost-benefit reward for turning AK into a full day park.

From a Disney-lover repeat visitor guest perspective Star Wars at HS is probably much more attractive. But HS is already an all day visit and while it needs work and SW would be really cool, from a beam counting perspective I'd bet just about any property this side of the Teletubbies that keeps people at AK for 4-5 more hours is a clearer win than anything they do elsewhere.

My conclusion? Pandora is coming, and in a fairly big way.

Agree? Disagree? What do wiser heads say?
~I totally agree. This project is going to be bigger or at least more expensive than I originally thought. The budget for Avatarland was $500,000,000 now it's $800,000,000. Yay!

Quote:
Agreed. It is the time and AK is the place that will pay off big for their big $800 mil investment.

And remember: This is crazy James Cameron. He will NOT allow them to go small. He is smart. He has it as part of his deal that they won't go small.

This is going to be good.
~I totally agree. There is no such thing as "budget cut" in James Cameron's world. So, I predict a cool billion, when it's all said and done!

Quote:
Ummmmm. For something to continue it must have a past.

Cameron is notorious for going slow and doing it right. New tech invented. Filming at bottom of ocean and all three filmed at once. It's gonna happen.

You always bring up franchise. We don't need no stinking franchise. Cameron will bring inventive unique amazing visuals and people will go to see it in droves. It's that irritatingly simple.

I think 3D is different now. For the first time it doesn't hurt, it was good and required for Gravity, and will be a niche. If it survives theaters it will survive as a niche in TV sets if not TV programming. I love 3D movies at home. Avatar is awesome!
~Yes! You make this so easy for me. And, James Cameron will be filming Avatar in a brand new format -- 60 fps. Soarin' was filmed in 48 fps. The majority of theaters are not even equipped to show films in this format. So, Cameron has established to team to assist movie cinema's in acquiring new equipment in preparation for the next installment of Avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
And Citizen Kane would make a crappy theme park land. What's your point?

Generally speaking, great films don't make great theme park lands. Great, immersive, compelling environments make great theme park lands.

Complex stories make awful theme park attractions (which is why I hope the Lord of the Rings/Disney rumors die - and I love the Tolkein books). Great theme park attractions tell simple stories - ones in which theme park guests can be immersed for a few minutes and walk away having "gotten it." Theme parks tell much of their story with atmosphere, architecture, lighting, music - things other than rides and "CPU cycles." THAT is where Cameron and Disney Imagineering working together will excel, and that is why there's every reason to believe that Pandora will be a great addition to Disney's Animal Kingdom.
~Very well said!

Quote:
like a broken record....

blah blah blah blah... Disney Sucks.... blah blah blah blah... Universal and Harry Potter is Amazing and the only future of theme park rides.... blah blah blah blah... Avatar is the worst movie EVER... blah blah blah blah... Disney Sucks..... blah blah blah blah... Universal and Harry Potter is Amazing and the only future of theme park rides.... blah blah blah blah... Avatar is the worst movie EVER... blah blah blah blah....

Don't like the park? then don't go!! It is a free country. The way some folks carry on about Avatar is like it is life and death... relax.... no one is going to force you to ride the new Avatar rides or even go to Animal Kingdom. You can stay at Universal and ride the Forbidden Journey to your heart's content. But enough already with the silly over the top negativity.
~LOL, don't mess with Suger Mag.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #44
mvk
Mouseketeer

My son is watching A New Hope (the original one, for those of you that think Star Wars is just a fad) as I type this. We watched Return of the Jedi last night. He's four years old. I don't think its just for nostalgia buffs.

He received a bunch of Star Wars action figures for Christmas this year, and a light saber. Last night, he just asked if he can get the Emperor, Jabba the Hutt, and Princess Leia action figures.

Star Wars is huge, one of the most valuable franchises out there, if not the most valuable.

If they can figure a way to make a cohesive land out of the franchise, it would be a huge game changer for DHS. I'd expect it would come close to overtaking Epcot quickly as the #2 park.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #45
Disney Von Drake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
Star Wars is huge, one of the most valuable franchises out there, if not the most valuable.
The popularity of Star Wars is fading fast. In the early twentieth century Tom Swift was hugely popular as well and now few people know of him.

A lot depends on the new Star Wars movies. They will either reinvigorate the franchise or place it along side of the Lone Ranger, Tonto and Davy Crockett in the land of old stale tales.
Disney Von Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: