Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Erikarate
married her prince
 
Erikarate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Darien, Connecticut
Posts: 866

1900 Park Fare worth it?

Hi fellow DIS'ers. We are super excited to be staying at the new Villas at the Grand Floridian this year!!! Wooo Whoooo!!!!

Anyway, for convenience sake, we want to eat more often at at the GF, and probably monorail hotel restaurants etc. Our family has a love/hate thing with buffets. We like the variety, but often the price is hard to justify as we just don't eat much more than one dinner plate full etc (example, for the same price as the buffet we can go upstairs to Citricos and get the filet of beef of course without apps and dessert, but excellent quality). Also we have been sorely disappointed with the quality lately (i.e. Boma has been disappointing the last few times).

Anyway, does anyone have any recent experiences they would like to share about Park Fare? Pics would be appreciated too or any links etc. If people rave about it then perhaps we can justify the cost, approx $180.00 for our family.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
Off-site: 5/77 (6th b'day);4/83 (EPCOT); 5/92 (21st b'day)6/99 ASMu7/00- OKW & BWV (DVC)7/01- BWV; Sept- WLV
2/02- OKW & WLV; 07/02- BWV; 12/02- WLV, MVMCP!!!02/03- OKW & AKL Conc; May- WL Conc.(b'day); July- AKL Conc. & BWV; Dec-WLV (MVMCP)
07/04- PB Club & BWV; Nov- AKL Conc. & SSR; Dec- OKW (MVMCP)02/05- WL Conc.; May- POR; July- HRH Club & BWV; Aug-POR; Sept. POR; Dec. OKW (MVMCP)
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran
 
keahgirl8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,812

If you have kids who like Cinderella, it is worth it. I am a solo adult, and since I never had a character meal, and I am a huge Cinderella fan, I tried it. It is very loud and chaotic. The food is pretty good, but it didn't change my life or anything! I am still glad I experienced it once. I not only got my picture taken with Cinderella, but Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, Drisella, and the prince. For a big Cinderella nerd, that was worth it!
__________________
keahgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
Holly Quinlan
This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Ya. Still good.
 
Holly Quinlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 441

I personally did not care for the food and didn't think the character interaction was all that great. I also walked out with a killer headache it was so loud I couldn't hear my DH sitting across from me. Its pretty cramped also. I was always afraid I would bump someone when I got up and walked to the buffet
__________________
ME DH DS (5) 1995 Shades Of Green: 2012 Offsite: 2013 Wilderness Lodge

Holly Quinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:04 AM   #4
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran
 
FiggieFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,029

It was one of the most disappointing Disney meals we have had. We enjoy several buffets at WDW, but didn't like that one. Also, it depends on where you sit. We were there for one hour and none of the five characters that were rotating around the room made it to any of the tables on our side.
__________________
Fort Wilderness Campgrounds: May 1992
Port Orleans French Quarter:Aug 1998, Jan 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013, Feb 2014
Wilderness Lodge: Dec 2015



FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Judique
DIS Veteran
 
Judique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland,HHI & BWV
Posts: 2,340

I enjoy the breakfast buffet.

I don't go for the characters anymore as we are all adults and have seen them many times, but if they skip my table I'm disappointed .

Guess I'm just a kid at heart!

Last June we had newbies with us - adults - and the characters were not coming and we really didn't mind that much, but our CM waitress noticed and she apologized to us and rounded them up, although we said we were okay with not getting the attention.

I do love watching the kids meet the characters! So, if they skip me to spend more time with a small child, I'm still happy.

The food is okay - I like the smoked salmon and the eggs benedict and maybe a Mickey waffle, so I'm satisfied. That combo may not be okay for everyone - but my family eats the regular stuff and they've never left hungry.

Just a thought - when we had the original dining plan a few times years ago, we became very critical of Disney food. I myself, think it was food overload, as well as a decline in quality. Those were the days when you got an appetizer, entrée, dessert and drink - sometimes even smoothies as the drink. It was way too much food for me and by the end of a week, I didn't even want to go to a restaurant any more. So, the last meals would not get good reviews for sure.

Now, we are selective in making ADR's and we eat smaller meals when we are hungry and we usually enjoy what we eat. I don't plan elaborate sit down meals every day at Disney because that is not how we normally eat and I want to come home lighter from all my walking.

I think some families just get caught up in all the planning. You won't go hungry if you don't plan every meal.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Marthasor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,061

We ate breakfast there in August and we enjoyed it only because of the characters. It is truly one of the best character meals at WDW. We have never had dinner there, so I can't comment on that. If you are going for the characters, do it. If you are going for the food, DON'T!! Definitely better off at any of the other TS at GF.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
tgropp
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Posts: 1,730

We ate their once and enjoyed it. It was quite good actually. Since we were going to MVMCP, we had 4:30 dinner reservations , just when it opens up. They did a little celebration and when they opened the doors to the restaurant, all the characters were standing there. We had great seats/table and all the food was fresh.
__________________
FEB 2015: BCV / DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruise Dec 2014: VWL
Christmas 2013: VWL/BCV
Feb 2013: AKL Club Level / DCL Fantasy Western Cruise / BCV
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
GaBelle
DIS Veteran
 
GaBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor
We ate breakfast there in August and we enjoyed it only because of the characters. It is truly one of the best character meals at WDW. We have never had dinner there, so I can't comment on that. If you are going for the characters, do it. If you are going for the food, DON'T!! Definitely better off at any of the other TS at GF.
I agree 100%! I love Mary Poppins and the character interaction was personal and not rushed at all. I thought the food was good...not great. But I'd go back.
If you are looking strictly at food quality, Grand Floridian Cafe would be a much better choice.
__________________
Sept 2008- offsite, Sept 2010- Poly, Sept 2011- GF, Sept 2013-WL, Sept 2014- YC
4 MNSSHP
GaBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikarate View Post
Hi fellow DIS'ers. We are super excited to be staying at the new Villas at the Grand Floridian this year!!! Wooo Whoooo!!!!

Anyway, for convenience sake, we want to eat more often at at the GF, and probably monorail hotel restaurants etc. Our family has a love/hate thing with buffets. We like the variety, but often the price is hard to justify as we just don't eat much more than one dinner plate full etc (example, for the same price as the buffet we can go upstairs to Citricos and get the filet of beef of course without apps and dessert, but excellent quality). Also we have been sorely disappointed with the quality lately (i.e. Boma has been disappointing the last few times).

Anyway, does anyone have any recent experiences they would like to share about Park Fare? Pics would be appreciated too or any links etc. If people rave about it then perhaps we can justify the cost, approx $180.00 for our family.

Thanks in advance!
We've eaten there a few times (with our last time being December 2010) and although we didn't think the food was all that great, we loved the step sisters and had a great time. If you are going strictly for the food, I'd skip it. If characters/entertainment is a priority, I'd give it a try. With that said, I would go back for the step sisters alone as they were hilarious and the character interaction was great (IMO), but that's just me. Good luck with your decision.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
Erikarate
married her prince
 
Erikarate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Darien, Connecticut
Posts: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judique View Post

Just a thought - when we had the original dining plan a few times years ago, we became very critical of Disney food. I myself, think it was food overload, as well as a decline in quality. Those were the days when you got an appetizer, entrée, dessert and drink - sometimes even smoothies as the drink. It was way too much food for me and by the end of a week, I didn't even want to go to a restaurant any more. So, the last meals would not get good reviews for sure.

Now, we are selective in making ADR's and we eat smaller meals when we are hungry and we usually enjoy what we eat. I don't plan elaborate sit down meals every day at Disney because that is not how we normally eat and I want to come home lighter from all my walking.

I think some families just get caught up in all the planning. You won't go hungry if you don't plan every meal.
We do not do the dining plan for that reason. It seems like almost too much food. Also we're DVC so we get a full kitchen and stock up at Publix at the beginning of the trip.

I just like to know what our dining options are at the GF in case we feel like eating out. Sounds like from what I'm hearing Park Fare might not be a good fit for our family.
__________________
Off-site: 5/77 (6th b'day);4/83 (EPCOT); 5/92 (21st b'day)6/99 ASMu7/00- OKW & BWV (DVC)7/01- BWV; Sept- WLV
2/02- OKW & WLV; 07/02- BWV; 12/02- WLV, MVMCP!!!02/03- OKW & AKL Conc; May- WL Conc.(b'day); July- AKL Conc. & BWV; Dec-WLV (MVMCP)
07/04- PB Club & BWV; Nov- AKL Conc. & SSR; Dec- OKW (MVMCP)02/05- WL Conc.; May- POR; July- HRH Club & BWV; Aug-POR; Sept. POR; Dec. OKW (MVMCP)
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Disney Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,576

We do breakfast when we stay at the GF. It is less and my daughter likes the characters. We have done dinner in the past but I don't want to spend that much anymore for dinner.
__________________
2003 - CR
2004 - Disneyland/CR/Shades of Green
2005 - DoubleTree WDW/ POP/ Shades of Green
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:08 PM   #12
georgiesgirl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 62

agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Quinlan View Post
I personally did not care for the food and didn't think the character interaction was all that great. I also walked out with a killer headache it was so loud I couldn't hear my DH sitting across from me. Its pretty cramped also. I was always afraid I would bump someone when I got up and walked to the buffet
We will NEVER go back, the variety of food was terrible, Very cramped and loud, and because we were in a small outlet off the main room we never saw the characters interact at all and only saw two stepsisters This party of 8 will not be returning!!!!
__________________
georgiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
MinnieMOH
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 46

We didn't like it for dinner.
We were in the first seating and were seated for an hour and a half (and long since finished with our meals) and had yet to be visited by a single character. When they did finally make their way over, they spent maybe 30 seconds at our table before moving on and came one after the other so after waiting all that time, we were done with everyone within five minutes. Just not what I am used to in regards to character meals.
The food was also pretty awful. Gummy paella, brown lettuce in the salad, etc. They had the worst cut of meat I have ever had at Disney, I don't even remember what it was now, but all seven of us who had taken some left it on our plates. It was just inedible.
They did have a lovely and delicious selection of fresh fruit, and decent soup.
I had heard wonderful reviews so I don't know if it was just an off night or a bad table location or what, but I have no desire to try it again.
On the same trip, we had our usual lunch with Winnie the Pooh and the crystal palace and enjoyed that very much, both the food and the interaction.
MinnieMOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
MinnieMOH
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 46

Georgiesgirl, we were a large party too, and they stuck us in the corner to the right as soon as you enter. We couldn't see any of the dancing or entrances either. Really disappointing for kids!
MinnieMOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
PrincessTiggy
Earning My Ears
 
PrincessTiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30

The food is pretty garden variety buffet food. Like what you would get at a work conference. Nothing outstanding. I thought that the character interaction is great. The stepsisters are awesome and Cindy and the prince are great too. I though they spent a reasonable time at each table and my kids loved it. If you are looking for the food to knock your socks off you will be disappointed-gravely so.
__________________
Me The HubbsPrincess 1Princess 2
PrincessTiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.