Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
upbeatred
Earning My Ears

Unfortunately mostly misses

Just back from six days at Disney. We really enjoyed the Magic Bands but this trip our dinning was a big disappointment. We splurged on dinner at Flying Fish- bill for two was $160.00. Split a crab cake appetizer and each ordered two drinks and each had the signature red snapper. We thought the food was just marginally okay. The Snapper dish at $39.00 was just not that tasty. We have high standards as we are from a big city with lots of excellent dinning choices but really that is TOP DOLLAR and should be melt in your mouth delicious.

We also at at Raglan Road in downtown Disney and that was just okay as well. I had to send my salad back because it didn't have half the ingredients listed. It was a fun place with good entertainment.

Our best dinner was in Japan, it was pretty much traditional steak house fare but we had really fun dinner companions and the prices are not outrageous.

As many people mentioned the food at Disney can be very hit and miss. I think we had our expectations too high for Flying Fish, and in the future I will not visit signature dinning restaurants. There is just no way they will equal a signature dining experience in Dallas, Chicago, or any other large metropolitan area. I have to remind myself that you are at Disney more for the atmosphere and if you get a few good meals you are lucky.

We go to Disney at least twice a year and we have tried so many different venues, I think the food quality goes down every year. Hate to be negative, but it is just not the trip for fine dining. I think if your expectations are too high you will be disappointed. In addition, this trip we had such a problem with all our quick service food being cold. Cold hot dogs, cold french fries, lukewarm pizza. Come on Disney you can at least serve that $9.00 hot dog HOT!!! The lunch at BOG was lukewarm as well.
upbeatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

For what you spent at the Flying fish, you might want to spend some more and just go ahead and go to V&A's. Now that is food.

concerning your salad at Raglan, what was it missing? Having worked in the food business, alot of times certain items are extremely hard to get. Hence sometimes an ingredient that shows up on the menu's list of ingredients is not always available. Now then, if you ordered a chicken cobb and there was no chicken, I won't offer any excuses..

One thing that we usually try to do, save the best meal for last on the trip. Something to look forward to and allows us to usually leave with a little better memory. In two weeks our last meal will be @ the Yachtsman.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
wezee
Am I cheating on my husband, if I have dreams about Mickey Mouse?

We also tried FF twice. The first time one bad meal one good, second time same thing. We have had great food and service at Shula's and IL Mulino. We have not tried Bluezoo yet but heard good things. Have also eaten at YSH and AP with no complaints.

Next Magical Moment: Sept. 2013
March 1995 Off site, Feb 2000 POFQ, March 2006 POFQ (25th Anniv.)March 2007 POFQ, Oct. 2007 POFQ, Sept. 2008 POFQ, Oct. 2009 POFQ, March 2010 POFQ,Sept 2010 POFQ, Feb 2011 POFQ, Oct. 2011 POFQ (30th Anniv.)., POFQ Sept 2012,
wezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upbeatred View Post
. . . in the future I will not visit signature dinning restaurants. There is just no way they will equal a signature dining experience in Dallas, Chicago, or any other large metropolitan area . . .

. . . In most cases, you are pretty much on-the-button.
. . . However, there are some good spots at WDW to dine.
. . . We also have high standards, so we are highly selective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We only visit five TS eateries at WDW when we go there for an actual meal. *
1) We prefer
. . . fine food
. . . excellent, top notch service
. . . innovative dishes with flair and quality
. . . overall great value
. . . relaxed and soothing dining atmosphere
. . . behaved and somewhat quiet patrons
2) The only sit-down restaurants we routinely visit,
. . . Sanaa - Animal Kingdom Villas Resort (one of my personal favs)
. . . Artist Point - Wilderness Lodge Resort
. . . Citricos - Grand Floridian Resort
. . . Shula's Steakhouse - Dolphin Resort (no DDP)
. . . Il Mulino - Swan Resort (no DDP)
3) Our (nearby) off-site Recommendations:
. . . Bull & Bear - Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek, Fine Dining
. . . Café D'Antonio - Celebration, Casual Italian
. . . Columbia - Celebration, Casual Spanish/Cuban
. . . Fish Bones - Hwy192, Seafood
. . . Venetian Room - Caribe Royale Hotel, Fine Dining

* The only time we visit other TS eateries is to renew our ratings for the
eatery(ies). And, when we do these, we have "sampler" dishes (whether free
or paid) so we can try several appys/entrées without pigging-out.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Erikarate
married her prince

I have to sadly agree with you regarding the overall food quality. I have posted my regrets a few times here on the boards and I have always been surprised how personally some people take my criticisms. I only do this because I LOVE disney and I want them to do better!!!

We have been coming several times a year since 1999 and I can tell you we have seen a huge decline in value and quality in the past 5 years or so. It breaks my heart.

I am sad to hear about Flying Fish as it is one of our favorites. I wonder if they changed the snapper recipe? When we were at Wolfgang Puck we noticed the chinois salad was not as good and the manager admitted that they changed the recipe to make it "more appealing to the typical American palette" i.e. taking out the spicy Chinese mustard, less cabbage etc.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of feeling "lucky" to get a few good meals at Disney. I really feel like the dining is an important part of our overall experience...
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
TravelMommy
Mouseketeer

So sad to hear, but this is why we do less and

less TS each trip. I see us in the future pretty much doing 1 TS, if that a trip. I remember the Top of The World restaurant, it was wonderful! and what Disney was back then, oh well, progress and all that
TravelMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

We've had similar experiences with FF. In our case, it will be excellent one visit, then just okay the next. It's too bad WDW restaurants are so inconsistent. You never know what type of meal to expect.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMommy View Post
less TS each trip. I see us in the future pretty much doing 1 TS, if that a trip. I remember what Disney was back then, oh well, progress and all that
I had 3 trips in 2013; two trips we only did 1 TS each, the last trip only CS. Partly budget and my friend was on a Dr. supervised weight loss program so buffets were not in her best interest.

At GG (I know, I know--"not fine dining") I was FLOORED when the bill for 2 people no alcohol was $84!!!! I'm a Hard Core Foodie but I live rural remote so most of my Foodie Tendencies are self addressed. I cook a LOT and test recipes for 2 magazines. If I'm going to shell out money for a TS meal I want good service and food that I would not fix myself. At WDW I find that Jiko, Boma, Kona (lunch) and Kouzzina consistently met or exceeded my expectations over the years. With that said, even these establishments have an increasingly hard time being worth the ever increasing WDW prices and decreasing menu quality and selection.

Just my 2 cents.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: