Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
wendydarling33
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 38

Bummed about Jiko experience

I want to preface this by the fact that my husband and I only get to dress up and dine at nice restaurants 2-3 times a year. We only visit Disney World every 3-4 years (we're Disneyland locals). I saved up my Disney Visa Reward dollars in order to be able to dine at Jiko on our recent trip and our parents agreed to babysit for us. So this was a big deal!

We decided on Jiko after reading the rave reviews and based on the fact that my husband likes more unusual cuisine. We got dolled up and headed over there for our reservation time of 7:10 PM.

From the get go our server was less than friendly. She was polite but not very warm. She also took a long time to get to us, which I realize is not necessarily her fault. Although I'm used to better service with Disney (especially at a Signature restaurant), that wouldn't have ruined our experience alone, just was odd.

The next issue was that I ordered the Braii Pie which was good but the cabbage salad side was a disaster. I took one bite and it tasted like someone had dumped a jar of salt on it. It had no taste but salt. My husband took a bite and agreed something was definitely wrong! We NEVER send things back but I decided to ask for something different. Our waitress asked if I wanted a rice dish (which was delicious )but the odd thing was she never apologized and made us feel like we were inconveniencing her by being picky.

Other than that incident we had an enjoyable meal and walked around the resort after dinner for a half an hour until my husband got really sick all of a sudden and had to spend the next half hour in the restroom. He had eaten the scallops and maybe they were undercooked?

Anyway I have never ever written a bad review of a restaurant and I am not a picky/complainy type of person. I'm just disappointed that our big splurge turned out to be such a bust. I know we just had bad luck because I'm sure normally it is a great place to dine. I guess it goes to show that even the best places can have an "off" day.
wendydarling33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,192
DISboards Moderator

Generally food poisoning doesn't hit so fast.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
disneyshakeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
disneyshakeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 864

Food poisoning takes a good 2 to 3 hours before you feel something, anything at all.
__________________
disneyshakeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran
 
JAMIESMITH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 655

I've never tried Jiko, but I also save our Disney reward points so that we can have one special meal during our trips. I'm sorry yours wasn't very good.
__________________
Disney's Polynesian Resort (Rapa Nui) September 2012 1437 Miles From Mississippi to Magical and Back

Disney's Boardwalk Villas January 2015 Desperate For More Disney Magic



JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
karenklo
DIS Veteran
 
karenklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indiana which feels to far away from the Poly!
Posts: 799

I am so sorry that a special night turned out so bad for you. We have dined there several times and the food was great along with the service. A bad server can ruin a night along with a bad dish. I hope you get to try it again! Get the wild boar-YUM!
__________________
off-site-1979, WDWCP alumni-1991,Contemporary-2003, Pop-2004, Poly CL-2006 WL with DGPs-6/08:
Sons/2011 Christmas trip with DGPs!:June 2012 AKL CL! July 2013 PoFQ/Poly CL again! Dec/Jan 2013/2014 POR-Annv Trip! Dec-Jan-2014-15 NYE! CSR
karenklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
loveDisneyinTN
Earning My Ears
 
loveDisneyinTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 60

I hate that it didn't live up to your expectations. I agree, a bad server can sometimes be worse than bad food! I hope you and hubby can get out soon and try again.
__________________
Me, DH, DS4 , DS2 AND DD0

Disney Trips-as a baby in 1982, Feb 1999 CBR, Sept. 2007 OFFSITE, April 2011 POP, April 2012 ALL STAR SPORTS, January 2013 ALL STAR SPORTS, September 2013 All Star Movies, March 2014 CBR

loveDisneyinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
spacethunder
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 26

I also recently had a terrible experience at Jiko. Service was passable but the food was prepared extremely poorly. I will not be going back.
spacethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
dkrauss
Goofy Fan from Jersey
 
dkrauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendydarling33 View Post
We decided on Jiko after reading the rave reviews and based on the fact that my husband likes more unusual cuisine. We got dolled up and headed over there for our reservation time of 7:10 PM.

From the get go our server was less than friendly. She was polite but not very warm. She also took a long time to get to us, which I realize is not necessarily her fault. Although I'm used to better service with Disney (especially at a Signature restaurant), that wouldn't have ruined our experience alone, just was odd.

The next issue was that I ordered the Braii Pie which was good but the cabbage salad side was a disaster. I took one bite and it tasted like someone had dumped a jar of salt on it. It had no taste but salt. My husband took a bite and agreed something was definitely wrong! We NEVER send things back but I decided to ask for something different. Our waitress asked if I wanted a rice dish (which was delicious )but the odd thing was she never apologized and made us feel like we were inconveniencing her by being picky.

Other than that incident we had an enjoyable meal and walked around the resort after dinner for a half an hour until my husband got really sick all of a sudden and had to spend the next half hour in the restroom. He had eaten the scallops and maybe they were undercooked?

Anyway I have never ever written a bad review of a restaurant and I am not a picky/complainy type of person. I'm just disappointed that our big splurge turned out to be such a bust. I know we just had bad luck because I'm sure normally it is a great place to dine. I guess it goes to show that even the best places can have an "off" day.
You shouldn't apologize for how you feel.......if it didn't meet your expectations then you have every right to say so.

In fact I would say you should let the resuarant now about it (especially given its Disney). There's no way for them to improve if they don't get "all" the honest feedback.

We pay alot of money to visit WDW and our expectations are high (and from my perspective usually met) but if they doesn't happen on a particular occassion you have a right to be bummed and to let Disney and the resturant know......especially with a place like Jiko which is considered a Signature restuarant. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Last May we visited 'The Wave" in the Contemporary. We'd read some less than glowing reviews on it but decided to go anyway........ Wow what a great time. Atmosphere, Server, Food.......all met our expectations (which were lower at that time). Our take was someone complained and they fixed the issues!!

Doug
__________________
dkrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
figment_jii
DIS Veteran
 
figment_jii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,859

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendydarling33 View Post
He had eaten the scallops and maybe they were undercooked?
I to am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at Jiko. Hopefully that doesn't put you off from trying it again some day or trying any other Disney Signature. A bad server can make a meal a sub-par experience, as can problems with the food.

However, as PP said, it's unlikely that the scallops (or anything you ate at Jiko) caused your DH's stomach problems. Food poisoning takes a while to kick in. Fresh scallops can be eaten raw, so undercooked scallops shouldn't have been a problem (unless he has an allergy to undercooked seafood/shellfish).
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 8,999

Im glad I stumbled on this thread. I need new restaurant ideas....sadly the menu at Jiko never appealed to me, but the resort looks gorgeous! Maybe i'll just hit Boma instead of Jiko. Decisions, decisions.
__________________





........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveDisneyinTN View Post
I hate that it didn't live up to your expectations. I agree, a bad server can sometimes be worse than bad food! I hope you and hubby can get out soon and try again.
ditto....
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
HelenParr
DIS Veteran
 
HelenParr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,467

OP: I have tried Jiko a few times, and it has just never worked out for us. I've given up.

I do think some of it is luck (in our case, perhaps yours, bad luck) just hitting it on off days. Our servers have not been stellar. Food was okay, but not fantastic. I've come to accept it -- just not our thing.

Also, while food poisoning usually (not always) takes longer to set in, food intolerance does not and can happen fairly quickly, specifically any time after the food hits your stomach. A different oil than you are used to, or a new spice, can cause GI track to speed up. Might never happen again. Feels awful. Hopefully it resolves once the food is cleared. And you might never know what it was. My money is on that.

I hope you have a chance to try somewhere else soon, and it's great!!
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
gwynne
DIS Veteran
 
gwynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendydarling33 View Post
I want to preface this by the fact that my husband and I only get to dress up and dine at nice restaurants 2-3 times a year. We only visit Disney World every 3-4 years (we're Disneyland locals). I saved up my Disney Visa Reward dollars in order to be able to dine at Jiko on our recent trip and our parents agreed to babysit for us. So this was a big deal!

We decided on Jiko after reading the rave reviews and based on the fact that my husband likes more unusual cuisine. We got dolled up and headed over there for our reservation time of 7:10 PM.

From the get go our server was less than friendly. She was polite but not very warm. She also took a long time to get to us, which I realize is not necessarily her fault. Although I'm used to better service with Disney (especially at a Signature restaurant), that wouldn't have ruined our experience alone, just was odd.

The next issue was that I ordered the Braii Pie which was good but the cabbage salad side was a disaster. I took one bite and it tasted like someone had dumped a jar of salt on it. It had no taste but salt. My husband took a bite and agreed something was definitely wrong! We NEVER send things back but I decided to ask for something different. Our waitress asked if I wanted a rice dish (which was delicious )but the odd thing was she never apologized and made us feel like we were inconveniencing her by being picky.

Other than that incident we had an enjoyable meal and walked around the resort after dinner for a half an hour until my husband got really sick all of a sudden and had to spend the next half hour in the restroom. He had eaten the scallops and maybe they were undercooked?

Anyway I have never ever written a bad review of a restaurant and I am not a picky/complainy type of person. I'm just disappointed that our big splurge turned out to be such a bust. I know we just had bad luck because I'm sure normally it is a great place to dine. I guess it goes to show that even the best places can have an "off" day.
It sounds like you ate there on an off night. That must have been such a frustration experience.
One other thing, don't feel bad about sending things back if they need to go back. I don't do it often, but if something is really off, the kitchen needs to know.
I hope sometime in the future you give it a try again.
__________________
TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
snoopy352
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacethunder View Post
I also recently had a terrible experience at Jiko. Service was passable but the food was prepared extremely poorly. I will not be going back.
Agree - my wife and I love ethnic food and on the DXDP Jiko was the only meal we had that was subpar - both of us have no interest in going back.
snoopy352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?
 
tarheelmjfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,026

It appears Jiko has a lot of "off nights". DH & I thought the appetizers were very good, but thought our entrees & desserts were below signature quality. We dine at signatures nightly at WDW & this has been our most disappointing restaurant to date. We definitely didn't feel like it was money well spent. IMHO, it's the most overrated restaurant on the DIS. The one positive is the atmosphere. It was quieter than most at WDW. We may return for appetizers some day & take a chance on different desserts. It's definitely not high on our list of returns though.

As far as the stomach issue goes, I agree a food intolerance could have happened that quickly. Food poisoning wouldn't have, but this doesn't sound anything like food poisoning. When I had food poisoning, my lips swelled to meet my upper lip & chin, my head & body were filled with welts, & I shook so hard that they had to tie me to the hospital bed. If you have actual food poisoning, it will be much worse than an upset stomach & will require a trip to the ER.
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(USO)
(")_(")


tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.