Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #31
TCB in FLA
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing your trip! I love that your mom was able to enjoy the water on board!

Disney Marathon January 2014

Disney Dream 3/30/14
Me and DH , DS13 DS11
TCB in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #32
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

GREAT happy pics in the AquaLab! Loved them!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #33
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR and am joining in! I'm really enjoying reading about your cruise - I always prefer reports in which the author is honest about the fact that some things weren't great. Nothing in life is perfect; there is nothing wrong with some things not being what you hoped or expected, and there is nothing wrong with sharing that!

Thanks for your honesty and your fun reviews. I can't wait to read more!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #34
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB in FLA View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip! I love that your mom was able to enjoy the water on board!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
GREAT happy pics in the AquaLab! Loved them!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Just found your TR and am joining in! I'm really enjoying reading about your cruise - I always prefer reports in which the author is honest about the fact that some things weren't great. Nothing in life is perfect; there is nothing wrong with some things not being what you hoped or expected, and there is nothing wrong with sharing that!

Thanks for your honesty and your fun reviews. I can't wait to read more!
Coming up. We were without Power & Heat for 6 days over Christmas (from Midnight on the 21st until the 27th). Finally recovering and I can finish up this report.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #35
PrincessTrisha

Dinner Night 4

We were once again back in Royal Palace and I think this was the Prince and Princess Menu. It was the one I was most looking forward to because it offered 2 of my favourite dishes in the past - Vegetable Lasagna and the Turbot with creamy mashed potatoes and a leek sauce.

While those 2 dishes were still "good", they were poor cousins to the food quality of the past - especially the Lasagna which was almost nothing like what I'd had before.

For appetizers we had:

Duck Quesidilla:

This was okay but didn't have a lot of flavour.

The polenta with blue cheese:

My mom ordered this because it had blue cheese but she wasn't a big fan. She said it was very dull.

Salad with walnuts and blue cheese:

My mom basically ate the blue cheese out of this (which she proclaimed as fantastic) but our server didn't bring any salad dressing so she didn't eat the letuce part.

My dad didn't order an appetizer - instead for his main he ordered 2 steaks (with only 1 side of potatoes) - sorry about the blurry picture:

he liked these because they were cooked to medium, served hot and were 2 large pieces of meat.

Both my mom and I ordered the Vegetable Lasagna (she ordered it because I couldn't shut up about how good it had been). This version was still "good" but not the amazing dish I'd had aboard the Magic a couple of years prior:

My mom also ordered the Lamb:

She said it was okay but it was overcooked (it was well done). The vegetables that came with it were very good though and she ate all of them.

I also ordered the turbot - the potatoes were different this time, described as "crushed" potatoes - they weren't really mashed, not quite boiled, and IMHO, not really great.

The fish and the sauce were once again stand outs but I really missed the creamy mash that they used to come with.

For dessert, both my mom and I ordered the bread pudding. It was good - not too sweet itself but the sauce was very sugary.

My dad ordered ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream tonight (sorry, no picture). And he started ordering this every night from here forward.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #36
PrincessTrisha

Lunch today was room service.

My mom once again ordered the cheese plate:

Good as always.

And she ordered the ham sandwich:

she basically ate the meat out of this and that was all. The coleslaw was again terrible and the bun was very crusty. Chips were stale like they'd been out for days.

I had the hamburger - it was good though not very warm when it arrived:

My dad had the chicken fingers:

These are something he usually gets often on the disney ship was these weren't up to their usual standards.

I think room service was having an off day today.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #37
PrincessTrisha

Pirate night dinner

Pirate night is my least favourite menu - if both of my parents hadn't decided to wear pirate costumes this cruise, I would have gladly skipped the MDR and gone to Cabanas tonight.

My Dad got the pot stickers for his appetizer:

These were good and he easily finished the whole serving.

My mom got the creamy chicken soup from the kids menu for an appetizer:

She really liked this. She usually has a tough time with the Pirate menu because she can't have crab and doesn't like spicy (so no jerk anything). She asked for a kids menu and that's where she ordered her dinner from.

For her entree, my mom ordered the corn dog and the mac n cheese off the kids menu. This was served right after the appetizers. In fact, she was finished her dinner well before our entrees made it to the table (yes, looking back, service tonight was very slow - especially since I hadn't had an appetizer so the wait for my entree proved terribly long).

She liked the corn dog but wasn't impressed with the mac n cheese (though my dad loves that stuff).

My dad ordered two entrees - the prime rib:

which he pronounced "great"

and the ribs which he also thought were "great"

I also ordered the ribs but mine weren't really "great" - they were very poor. I had 5 bones and a large ring of fat. By the time I took it apart, I had only a small bit of meat. Mine were fatty and grisly and not good - I maybe ate 3 bites and called it a night.

For dessert - my dad again had his ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream and my mom ordered the cobbler.

By this time I was very tired (we were among the last in the dining room - Marie and Jill left to catch the fireworks which were starting, Johnathan was feeling sick and Christian walked him back to their cabin, and so it was Rudy, and the 3 of us at the table for dessert). I didn't order anything for dessert and decided to just go to bed after a very unfulfilling dinner.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
PrincessTrisha

Palo Brunch.

I was unsure of keeping this reservation as I have difficulty paying for additonal food on a cruise. And given the quality of DCL dining so far, I was jumping for joy at paying $60 plus tip for a meal on this ship.

I'm glad that we went - the food was very good but I don't see my paying for it again (it would now be $75 plus at least $15 tip = $90)

I went up and made my mother a plate and inquired about getting her some of the seafood from the kitchen so that it wouldn't be cross contaminated by the crab that was on that table:

And the plate of scallops, shrimp and smoked salmon they brought out for my mom:

She nibbled on just about everything and enjoyed most of the selections (the eggplant not so much but everything else was very good).

For her entree, she ordered the eggs benedict with spinach:

She said this was very good (though she liked the one at Olivia's better)

My dad's plates:

appetizers:

He prefers hot food so he ordered 3 entrees from the kitchen:

The chicken parm:

Which he declared amazing

The Lasagna

which he delcared amazing

And the filet mignon

which he declared incredibly disappointing.

C'est la vie!

My plates:

appetizer plate:

Loved the scallops and the shrimp. The almond croissant was good as was the cream puff (though I only ate the top half - why fill up on bread?). The crab legs were disappointing. I don't normally get crab around my mother but with the legs sitting cracked and opened I couldn't resist. Unfortunately they were watery and without much flavour.

For entrees I had the chicken parm which I found very good (not a fantastic as my dad found it, but very good) and the grape and gorgonzola pizza. This I thought was outstanding.

The flavours were exceptional - it was unique and cooked to crispy without being burnt on the bottom. I ate as much of this as I could but the flavour became overwhelming after about half.

For desserts we went up and grabbed a couple of plates to share:

We all seemed to enjoy different desserts. I found the desserts to be good but nothing that I was rushing back for seconds for.

Overall it was a very good experience, very good service, good to very good food, a nice atomosphere, a very pleasant way to spend a morning.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #39
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Great TR! Love all the details. And the picture of your Mom in the water area is priceless.
CRSNDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #40
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your trip report! I just love all the food pictures, well, any trip report with pictures!!!!

Your FE idea is wonderful! I would have loved to received that!!!

I have dreams of that grape pizza and I love it when people post pictures of it !!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #41
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Loving the pics and counting down the days til we are on the fantasy. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #42
lin7
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing, love the food pictures.
lin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #43
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Wow - all those food pictures are killing me! Iím so hungry!

Thanks so much for sharing them all. Iím sorry some of the food was not what you remembered from prior cruises; I hate when that happens. Iím glad Palo did not disappoint!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #44
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

Great reviews!
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: