DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,408

I just want to add another fly to the ointment - there is no guarantee that Disney will operate the monorail forever - and certainly no guarantee in a BLT contract that it will be there - its very expensive to operate. At some point in the future, the monorail could be closed down completely and torn out - and the MK resorts will still be closest to the MK, but won't have the convenience of the monorail (I would completely expect the rumored path to the MK from the Poly/GF to happen first - and it makes a lot of sense to sell all the DVC they can around the lagoon before closing the monorail).

MANY SSR owners bought because they loved Pleasure Island and they loved the fireworks. The fireworks were gone before the ink was dry on contracts, and PI didn't take long to follow.

(The animals are called out as not guaranteed at VAKL).
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
Sur
Love the Dis
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
(The animals are called out as not guaranteed at VAKL).
a devastating storm would cause this, unfortunately, too easily, God forbid.
__________________
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
newdeal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I just want to add another fly to the ointment - there is no guarantee that Disney will operate the monorail forever - and certainly no guarantee in a BLT contract that it will be there - its very expensive to operate. At some point in the future, the monorail could be closed down completely and torn out - and the MK resorts will still be closest to the MK, but won't have the convenience of the monorail (I would completely expect the rumored path to the MK from the Poly/GF to happen first - and it makes a lot of sense to sell all the DVC they can around the lagoon before closing the monorail).

MANY SSR owners bought because they loved Pleasure Island and they loved the fireworks. The fireworks were gone before the ink was dry on contracts, and PI didn't take long to follow.

(The animals are called out as not guaranteed at VAKL).

I suppose its possible they close the monorail but even if they did which I find highly unlikely at least BLT is still walking distance to the MK
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #19
crisi
DIS Veteran
 
crisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 22,408

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
I suppose its possible they close the monorail but even if they did which I find highly unlikely at least BLT is still walking distance to the MK
Just something to be aware of. If you are happy with BLT without the monorail, it remains a good choice. Given their operational maintenance costs, the fact that the concrete supports are going to have to be replaced long before a BLT contract expires - at a cost of millions - and that it doesn't create any direct revenue, I'd be more surprised if its still there in fifty years.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
boxer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,196

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Just something to be aware of. If you are happy with BLT without the monorail, it remains a good choice. Given their operational maintenance costs, the fact that the concrete supports are going to have to be replaced long before a BLT contract expires - at a cost of millions - and that it doesn't create any direct revenue, I'd be more surprised if its still there in fifty years.
I think those concrete supports are pretty safe in our lifetime. There is a pretty good amount of water being held by the same type of concrete out west, and its lasted longer than those monorail supports.
__________________


boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #21
Mississippian
DIS Veteran
 
Mississippian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 771

The question I would have for the OP is why choose SSR over OKW? I'm not the biggest OKW fan, but the resort has a great and super-cheap point chart. The units at OKW are huge, and of course the grand villa is dirt cheap.

I've rented a grand villa before. Didn't like being in the middle of nowhere, but sure liked having loads of square footage. Owners at BWV are within walking distance of two parks, and their point charts are similar to the OKW ones on standard-view rooms, so a real bargain. But if you take the worst features of OKW and BWV and put them together, out pops SSR. But why choose this, especially if money is a factor?
__________________
Mississippian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #22
newdeal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippian View Post
The question I would have for the OP is why choose SSR over OKW? I'm not the biggest OKW fan, but the resort has a great and super-cheap point chart. The units at OKW are huge, and of course the grand villa is dirt cheap.

I've rented a grand villa before. Didn't like being in the middle of nowhere, but sure liked having loads of square footage. Owners at BWV are within walking distance of two parks, and their point charts are similar to the OKW ones on standard-view rooms, so a real bargain. But if you take the worst features of OKW and BWV and put them together, out pops SSR. But why choose this, especially if money is a factor?
Mostly because the maintenance fees at SSR are much lower and I would hope we could get something we wanted at 7months (and if not would book SSR). The cost of OKW is cheaper but it also expires much sooner (in most cases unless they extended) which means the points have depreciated more. As for BWV I didn't really even consider it due to the high cost per point and maintenance fees compared to SSR also
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #23
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran
 
Tink-n-Belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,288

If you want the best experience at this point in your life buy at the BLT. I realize money is a factor, but it will always be a factor. If you spend 1.5 hours on a bus going from MK to SSR that is money being wasted too. I know you are concerned about MF too. But in the big picture it really doesn't make a difference..........your focusing on a small number when you are talking about MF's. They will go up, guaranteed but so will the tickets, food, airfare, gas. In 9 years of ownership, the tickets have more than doubled. MF maybe went up $1. Tickets for 4 are now over $1200 if you want hoppers.

When I bought SSR was cheaper than the BW and had a longer contract, but I choose the BW because that's where I wanted to be. The BW is just an amazing hotel with the best atmosphere.....it an extension of the parks. Turns out, the standard rooms were a point saving bonus and most are not available at 7 months so I ended up saving points by booking BW std then I would booking SSR. So if you want the BLT you may be able to book it, but the chances of getting a std view room is slim. So any cost savings you got from the buy in purchase at SSR will be lost to having to book rooms for more points at the BLT.

Purchasing DVC is expensive and a commitment, as every year you have to pay your annual dues. But after you number crunch.....and yes most of us have done it....and still do it.......but the conclusion I have at this point is that I don't really care what I paid for it or if my MF went up 2% and SSR only went up 1%....... What really matters is that I get to stay in a fantastic rooms(1 br) at the BLT or BW and be within walking distance to the parks, at a deluxe hotel for 10 days a year ........the current cost to do that is actually $182 per night.....next year it might be $192 a night but the only thing that matters is that I CAN actually stay at the BLT or BW for a very affordable price.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes the experience you are going to get outweighs the cost. Is DVC a good deal financially? ....IMHo it is for my family but DVC gives me something money can't buy. It gives me a experience that is just amazing.....I feel like a millionaire for those 10 days.... It makes me feel very special. SSR is nice but being right outside the MK is just awesome.

Your kids are the perfect ages to experience the magic, but they are also at ages where they are a lot of work.....taking a bus isn't as convenient as walking to a park. How nice would it be to take a 5 min monorail ride to your hotel for an afternoon break and then Be back at the park in 10 minutes. With SSR you are talking about 20-40 minutes commute each way. So what kind of experience do you want.........
__________________



BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73

Last edited by Tink-n-Belle; 01-29-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
jmail048
Mouseketeer
 
jmail048's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-n-Belle View Post
If you want the best experience at this point in your life buy at the BLT. I realize money is a factor, but it will always be a factor. If you spend 1.5 hours on a bus going from MK to SSR that is money being wasted too. I know you are concerned about MF too. But in the big picture it really doesn't make a difference..........your focusing on a small number when you are talking about MF's. They will go up, guaranteed but so will the tickets, food, airfare, gas. In 9 years of ownership, the tickets have more than doubled. MF maybe went up $1. Tickets for 4 are now over $1200 if you want hoppers. When I bought SSR was cheaper than the BW and had a longer contract, but I choose the BW because that's where I wanted to be. The BW is just an amazing hotel with the best atmosphere.....it an extension of the parks. Turns out, the standard rooms were a point saving bonus and most are not available at 7 months so I ended up saving points by booking BW std then I would booking SSR. So if you want the BLT you may be able to book it, but the chances of getting a std view room is slim. So any cost savings you got from the buy in purchase at SSR will be lost to having to book rooms for more points at the BLT. Purchasing DVC is expensive and a commitment, as every year you have to pay your annual dues. But after you number crunch.....and yes most of us have done it....and still do it.......but the conclusion I have at this point is that I don't really care what I paid for it or if my MF went up 2% and SSR only went up 1%....... What really matters is that I get to stay in a fantastic rooms(1 br) at the BLT or BW and be within walking distance to the parks, at a deluxe hotel for 10 days a year ........the current cost to do that is actually $182 per night.....next year it might be $192 a night but the only thing that matters is that I CAN actually stay at the BLT or BW for a very affordable price. The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes the experience you are going to get outweighs the cost. Is DVC a good deal financially? ....IMHo it is for my family but DVC gives me something money can't buy. It gives me a experience that is just amazing.....I feel like a millionaire for those 10 days.... It makes me feel very special. SSR is nice but being right outside the MK is just awesome. Your kids are the perfect ages to experience the magic, but they are also at ages where they are a lot of work.....taking a bus isn't as convenient as walking to a park. How nice would it be to take a 5 min monorail ride to your hotel for an afternoon break and then Be back at the park in 10 minutes. With SSR you are talking about 20-40 minutes commute each way. So what kind of experience do you want.........
Agreed. On a vacation, time is limited and you can only see so much in a day. Sure SSR is probably the best value and you can always try to trade out to a different resort but killing a lot of time on a bus is not my idea of fun. I was going to add SSR but I think I will end up with either BLT or VWL. Your not just buying for today your buying for the future.
__________________
jmail048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #25
gdrj
DIS Veteran
 
gdrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 543

Here is my two cents:

For my family it is worth it. We bought in 98, and still visit with our kids who are now out of the house. 200 pts is a good amount.

Our home resort is BWV, but we have stayed at most of the resorts. We have never (Ok maybe once possibly) have booked at the 11 month window. Many times we are within 7 month. We typically vacation during peak holidays. We were able to get 3 days at GFV Easter week (wait list) but had reservations at AKV.

Once you own, the ability to bank, borrow, decide to go during a peak time, for us seems better than renting. While renting has is advantages, if you want to buy you might as well put that money towards the purchase.

Our only regret is that we didn't buy more points.
gdrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.