Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #46
Nahanni
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 231

For a 7 night stay, our family (2A & 2C) can "save" about $330 by eating what is provided by the DDP and go home with a bag full of QS cookies and snacks.

Eating OOP at the same locations but changing how we eat would actually save us about $50 compared to DDP, however, adults would be limited to tap water and no snacks (with limited snacks for children and me listening to "dad, why can't we have popcorn/popsicle?" - because we can buy a box from the supermarket for the cost of a snack)

The year we went OOP, we actually saved a lot more because we did not go to any of the character meals or buffets and we cooked most dinners. The kids actually preferred this but we have decided we'll do DDP until the oldest is a Disney adult.
Nahanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #47
Tinkerbelle's Mom
Will clean houses for tags!
 
Tinkerbelle's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,576

DD and I will be making a return trip to WDW in June. This is the first time we are going since she became a Disney adult. Its the first time we won't be doing the DDP. Because she doesn't eat like an adult (only orders kids meals)and it will cost us more $ to use the plan then it would to pay OOP.

I will miss the prepaid part of the plan. I liked being able to go on vacation with her and say yes without stressing about the cost. This time I am just going to have to put the food $ aside instead of doing a pre-paid plan.

I really wish Disney had a Junior cost option between kids and adults.
__________________
Tinkerbelle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #48
serene56
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahanni View Post
F

Eating OOP at the same locations but changing how we eat would actually save us about $50 compared to DDP, however, adults would be limited to tap water and no snacks (with limited snacks for children and me listening to "dad, why can't we have popcorn/popsicle?" - because we can buy a box from the supermarket for the cost of a snack) .
I didnt find this to be the case when we went OOP in Dec. Kids were told one snack per day-- so if they wanted the popcorn or a ice cream-- it was their choice.
and we would never even have used a credit to buy a water.
__________________
Epcot passports -ebay- Joephila1
serene56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #49
hill6
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 1,518

We are doing Deluxe Dining in May. We are going to Narcoossees. Our meals will be over $100 per person and cost us two credits each. So one credit for each of us that day will be free.

We are doing CRT, 'Ohana, character breakfast, Biergarten and Via Napoli. All of which will cover cost of the dining plan for each meal. It may be close for 50s Primetime and Yak and Yeti.

I will pay out of pocket for meals that are not worth it which will most likely be breakfast.

I think most days the snacks will be free for us.
__________________
My Name is Debbie and I am a Certified Disneyaholic
First Trip Age 8.
20+ trips since.


Saratoga Springs Nov 8-13 our First DVC trip
hill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #50
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!
 
Skylarr29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
First, nobody would eat the same way - being on the plan as paying oop. Would your family really get qsr desserts? I doubt it. Second, figure in the higher gratuities because the only way to maximize value of the plan is to go for the highest priced items. You said it yourself, if you weren't getting it for free, you wouldn't get it (getting the free plan is also a terrible idea btw). The plan is a racket and Disney should be ashamed of itself for practically forcing it on its customers.
While there are a lot of quick service places where desserts would not be ordered, I think there a lot where people would, in fact, happily, order desserts. Les Halles, Kringla, Sunshine seasons, resort food courts, Starring rolls, Boardwalk Bakery etc.

I personally think that people who claim free dining isn't free, must be doing the math wrong. It might not be the best deal for everyone, but it is, indeed, free and quite a good deal for some people.

Room price for our September trip with free dining at POR is $191 before tax. The highest room discount I've seen there is 30% (usually less but we will use it for arguments sake). That equates to $57.30 off per night. Free dining discount is $173.96 per night (two adults, three children). That is an absolute no brain-er.
__________________
Married at Disney 10/15/08 DVC members since '08 (DS) (DD) (DD) (DD)




Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #51
chinarider
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,008

So, I ran my numbers on the "seeyareelsoon" spread sheet. If we go with the high end of pricing , base on our restaurants, the DDP would save us about $150, if we were at the average price point, it would pretty much break even. With that being said, It has us rearranging our park plans to eat in Epcot 2 extra times and we are staying at POP so, the question is , is that more running around then I want to do. My DD19 would probably strangle me if she werent away at college because she is tired of me asking, texting etc and at this point all I get is , "I don't care"-which we all know she will when we are on vacation. I also, ran the spreadsheet using some of the lower cost places that I was bypassing by way of the DDP. I put in the high price and we have 14 TS and 7
CS and it comes up about the same as if I had the 11 TS on the DDP. I did put in 100% for drinks, 100% for dessert and also did include 33% for appetizers- this gets us to places like Tonys- have it priced for dinner (or Plaza ), Liberty Tree Tavern ( lunch) , Sci -Fi ( lunch),Wave-lunch and we give up some CS and Biergarten and Tutto- I would need to add in the cost for the mugs (because I know we would need at least one) to really make the equations comparable . If paying OOP we would switch Chefs and Sanaa to lunch (since cheaper ) but, still include them in our plans. Having relaxing dinners in Epcot at the end of the day is not necessarily a bad thing but, if it takes an hour plus just to get there at the end of a long day ( we're early risers) and then there's the trip back to POP, is it really worth it I think I need to look at the planning. However, if we go with the OOP route, we would have more ADR's and that makes the days less flexible. Going the OOP route I think would give us more continuity with our park flows and daily plans. I also think it provides more food ( but either way there's plenty). Going with the DDP, we would be trying some more items and different food so, I'm still in a pickle... what's a girl to do?? Thanks for letting me vent!!!
__________________
chinarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #52
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarr29 View Post
While there are a lot of quick service places where desserts would not be ordered, I think there a lot where people would, in fact, happily, order desserts. Les Halles, Kringla, Sunshine seasons, resort food courts, Starring rolls, Boardwalk Bakery etc.

I personally think that people who claim free dining isn't free, must be doing the math wrong. It might not be the best deal for everyone, but it is, indeed, free and quite a good deal for some people.

Room price for our September trip with free dining at POR is $191 before tax. The highest room discount I've seen there is 30% (usually less but we will use it for arguments sake). That equates to $57.30 off per night. Free dining discount is $173.96 per night (two adults, three children). That is an absolute no brain-er.
But it is not free. It maybe a better discount for your family but it is just that, a discount. Free would be paying 30% off and then Disney saying, here is free food that you get too.
__________________
What does $3.00 ham have to do with Mexico?
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #53
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
But it is not free. It maybe a better discount for your family but it is just that, a discount. Free would be paying 30% off and then Disney saying, here is free food that you get too.
Going by that logic, it's only free dining if you give Disney no money for anything. By that logic, it still isn't free if you pay anything, even the discounted rate. If they require you to pay any money at all, it still wouldn't be free. Free would be Disney sending food to my house at their expense without requiring anything out of me.

The arguing about semantics over free dining is silly. Some people just can't admit it can be a good deal (not you, ilovemk) so they need to try to make people feel stupid for "falling" for the deal. Of course it's a discount, but it's no less valid than any other discount Disney gives. It's like saying 30% a room isn't actually 30% off because Disney requires you to take 30% off the rack rate, not a discounted rate.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #54
Skylarr29
Oh Darn it, I was 'forced' to buy that plane
It feels like I have a sumo wrestler in there!
 
Skylarr29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
But it is not free. It maybe a better discount for your family but it is just that, a discount. Free would be paying 30% off and then Disney saying, here is free food that you get too.
That makes no sense. It is free, I paid $0 for it, 0=free It may or may not be the best discount for someone, but it is still free. How is it only free if you also get a 30% discount on your room?
__________________
Married at Disney 10/15/08 DVC members since '08 (DS) (DD) (DD) (DD)




Skylarr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #55
ahorse42
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4

Dinning Worries Were GONE!

Okay... Everyone seems to be on one side or the other.

Basically it comes down to this.

1. Do you need/want to save money?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend
IF NO, Get the DDP. Chose which one fits (Basic or Deluxe) how often you eat when walking all day and trying to fit in your activities. Plan according to YOUR family where and when you'll eat.

2. Do you WANT to control what dinning experience you attend and not have to tell your kids what they can or can't order because of the price?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend
IF NO, Get the DDP. No worries. Most Everything is covered inside of your meal plan that you could possibly want. Don't forget to use up all of your credits before you leave with snacks for the plane/car trip home.

3. Do you want to worry about having enough money to be able to eat one last time in the park by the end of your trip because you spent all of your money elsewhere or on other foods and "extras"?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend.
IF NO, Get the DDP. No worries. Food is always available if not at a pre-scheduled sit-down, then always at a window service.

It's basically what you want to worry about on vacation. Not everyone is comfortable with the DDP or the OOP options. DDP gives you peace of mind and the family a LOT less stress during your vacation. IF you are a well organized planner and your family is willing to follow your every command, then go for the OOP (mine's not and I'm NOT the best organizer because once you get there...life happens and lines and the...let's go do that real quick happens and before you know it your best laid plans to NOT spend or do this or do that is out the window!)

My opinion is to take the upgrade to Deluxe if you are going to do the DDP. We LOVED every minute of every day at every dinning experience we did because there was NO worries on cost or what you could and couldn't eat/drink/have.

I have also gone OOP and had no problems but we adjusted our thoughts on spending and did a lot of in-room eating and stayed off Disney. We lost so much time that year though going back and forth that 5 days were not enough and we regretted not staying on Disney and the dinning plan after we experienced it the next time we visited.

Again, this is just my opinion based off of our last two stays with 5 people.

Happy Planning!

ahorse42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #56
KaLyn
DIS Veteran
 
KaLyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: About 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 1,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorse42 View Post
Okay... Everyone seems to be on one side or the other. Basically it comes down to this. 1. Do you need/want to save money? IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend IF NO, Get the DDP. Chose which one fits (Basic or Deluxe) how often you eat when walking all day and trying to fit in your activities. Plan according to YOUR family where and when you'll eat. 2. Do you WANT to control what dinning experience you attend and not have to tell your kids what they can or can't order because of the price? IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend IF NO, Get the DDP. No worries. Most Everything is covered inside of your meal plan that you could possibly want. Don't forget to use up all of your credits before you leave with snacks for the plane/car trip home. 3. Do you want to worry about having enough money to be able to eat one last time in the park by the end of your trip because you spent all of your money elsewhere or on other foods and "extras"? IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend. IF NO, Get the DDP. No worries. Food is always available if not at a pre-scheduled sit-down, then always at a window service. It's basically what you want to worry about on vacation. Not everyone is comfortable with the DDP or the OOP options. DDP gives you peace of mind and the family a LOT less stress during your vacation. IF you are a well organized planner and your family is willing to follow your every command, then go for the OOP (mine's not and I'm NOT the best organizer because once you get there...life happens and lines and the...let's go do that real quick happens and before you know it your best laid plans to NOT spend or do this or do that is out the window!) My opinion is to take the upgrade to Deluxe if you are going to do the DDP. We LOVED every minute of every day at every dinning experience we did because there was NO worries on cost or what you could and couldn't eat/drink/have. I have also gone OOP and had no problems but we adjusted our thoughts on spending and did a lot of in-room eating and stayed off Disney. We lost so much time that year though going back and forth that 5 days were not enough and we regretted not staying on Disney and the dinning plan after we experienced it the next time we visited. Again, this is just my opinion based off of our last two stays with 5 people. Happy Planning!
THANK YOU!
Can I please give you an award?
__________________


Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #57
DvF Diva
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 330

For us, it is a waste of money. It is just too much food for us.

With 3 adults and 1 child, we had four full days to eat (arrived too late on arrival day to use our planned QS credit) and still had 6 leftover snack credits and 3 leftover QS credits to use up on departure day. Had we arrived earlier, we would've used our QS credits up in a smarter fashion, I think, and maybe used up about two more snack credits. That's still four left over!

We blew some of our QS credits on the power pack lunches (really a box of snacks) for DS3 as a way to use up credits. For $5.49, it is a waste of a QS credit, to be honest. But it was just too much food for us otherwise.

We did a "Free Dining" package.
I think being on DDP covered about $623 in meals (what we would have paid OOP).
Tickets' "value" was $771.06 (three of the four of us didn't actually need them because we were starting annual passes, but at least they will be good for a couple days should we go some time right after our APs expire).
That meant we paid about $217 for 4 nights in a Moderate which ran for about $100/nite (pre-tax) rack rate.
Thus, I calculate that to be about a $218 savings once tax is added to the room rate.

That number seems to be in same ballpark as other numbers I've seen around.

We will be unlikely to do DDP again unless it is part of a package where we're getting an extra room on top of what we've already booked.

HTH!
__________________
DvF Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #58
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorse42 View Post
Okay... Everyone seems to be on one side or the other.

Basically it comes down to this.

1. Do you need/want to save money?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend
IF NO, Get the DDP. Chose which one fits (Basic or Deluxe) how often you eat when walking all day and trying to fit in your activities. Plan according to YOUR family where and when you'll eat.

2. Do you WANT to control what dinning experience you attend and not have to tell your kids what they can or can't order because of the price?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend
IF NO, Get the DDP. No worries. Most Everything is covered inside of your meal plan that you could possibly want. Don't forget to use up all of your credits before you leave with snacks for the plane/car trip home.

3. Do you want to worry about having enough money to be able to eat one last time in the park by the end of your trip because you spent all of your money elsewhere or on other foods and "extras"?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend.
IF NO, Get the DDP. No worries. Food is always available if not at a pre-scheduled sit-down, then always at a window service.

It's basically what you want to worry about on vacation. Not everyone is comfortable with the DDP or the OOP options. DDP gives you peace of mind and the family a LOT less stress during your vacation. IF you are a well organized planner and your family is willing to follow your every command, then go for the OOP (mine's not and I'm NOT the best organizer because once you get there...life happens and lines and the...let's go do that real quick happens and before you know it your best laid plans to NOT spend or do this or do that is out the window!)

My opinion is to take the upgrade to Deluxe if you are going to do the DDP. We LOVED every minute of every day at every dinning experience we did because there was NO worries on cost or what you could and couldn't eat/drink/have.

I have also gone OOP and had no problems but we adjusted our thoughts on spending and did a lot of in-room eating and stayed off Disney. We lost so much time that year though going back and forth that 5 days were not enough and we regretted not staying on Disney and the dinning plan after we experienced it the next time we visited.

Again, this is just my opinion based off of our last two stays with 5 people.

Happy Planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLyn View Post
THANK YOU!
Can I please give you an award?
An award for insulting the OOP people? She called them controlling. That is no different than calling the people on the DDP pig who want to stuff their faces.

We use the TIW card. We never worry about what something costs we never run out of money at the end of the trip. It is not because we used the TIW card. It is because we have slack in our every day and vacation budget.
__________________
What does $3.00 ham have to do with Mexico?
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #59
sharonabe
DIS Veteran
 
sharonabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorse42 View Post
Okay... Everyone seems to be on one side or the other.

Basically it comes down to this.

1. Do you need/want to save money?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend
IF NO, Get the DDP. Chose which one fits (Basic or Deluxe) how often you eat when walking all day and trying to fit in your activities. Plan according to YOUR family where and when you'll eat.

2. Do you WANT to control what dinning experience you attend and not have to tell your kids what they can or can't order because of the price?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend
IF NO, Get the DDP. No worries. Most Everything is covered inside of your meal plan that you could possibly want. Don't forget to use up all of your credits before you leave with snacks for the plane/car trip home.

3. Do you want to worry about having enough money to be able to eat one last time in the park by the end of your trip because you spent all of your money elsewhere or on other foods and "extras"?
IF YES, Pay your own way, set your own limits and don't over-spend.
IF NO, Get the DDP. No worries. Food is always available if not at a pre-scheduled sit-down, then always at a window service.

It's basically what you want to worry about on vacation. Not everyone is comfortable with the DDP or the OOP options. DDP gives you peace of mind and the family a LOT less stress during your vacation. IF you are a well organized planner and your family is willing to follow your every command, then go for the OOP (mine's not and I'm NOT the best organizer because once you get there...life happens and lines and the...let's go do that real quick happens and before you know it your best laid plans to NOT spend or do this or do that is out the window!)

My opinion is to take the upgrade to Deluxe if you are going to do the DDP. We LOVED every minute of every day at every dinning experience we did because there was NO worries on cost or what you could and couldn't eat/drink/have.

I have also gone OOP and had no problems but we adjusted our thoughts on spending and did a lot of in-room eating and stayed off Disney. We lost so much time that year though going back and forth that 5 days were not enough and we regretted not staying on Disney and the dinning plan after we experienced it the next time we visited.

Again, this is just my opinion based off of our last two stays with 5 people.

Happy Planning!

EXCUSE ME!!!

1. NO I do not need/want to save money. I DO want to spend my money wisely and I can spend what the DDP costs and eat WAY more food than the DDP would give me.

2. NO I do not need to control my family or tell my kids no. They can eat whatever they want and STILL not spend as much as the DDP would cost my family,

3. NO I do not worry about having enough money on my last day to eat. I know at the end of my trip we will have all eaten exactly what we wanted and my family will have spent LESS money than your family did!!

BUT that is MY family and how MY family does Disney. There is no one-plan, one-way that fits every family. Can we give advice and share how we all do it to help others, yes we can. But please do not make such blanket statements as you did as if it goes for everyone out there.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #60
zy144622
Mouseketeer
 
zy144622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethananyonex View Post
Yes it does. I've done tons of research, punching in the exact prices and comparing it to the dining plan cost. It's pretty rude to imply people who disagree with you haven't researched. It absolutely does save money if you would eat similarly to the dining plan without it. Comparing the cost of the restaurants to the cost of the DDP, we save about $250. I know that number is inflated because of the items we wouldn't order otherwise, but even taking out QS desserts, we still come out ahead. Everything else is similar to how we would order. There is a slight savings there. The sticking point is you'll save money if you would eat the same on the dining plan and off. Almost all of our meals (I think there's only 1 for upcoming trip that isn't) are buffets or family style. They are where we want to eat, we're not eating there because of the DDP. We can't eat at those restaurants on the cheap, we can't cut out a dessert, we either go and pay the full price or don't go at all. It is much harder to save money with the DDP than it used to be. If we weren't getting it for free this trip, we wouldn't be buying it even though there still is a slight savings for us. We'd opt to eat at cheaper restaurants or do QS for some meals, because of the outrageous prices whether you're paying OOP or using the DDP. $58 per person per night and $45 to eat at a character buffet are both lots of money. Again, the determining factor is whether or not you would order the same OOP. For years before the dining plan came to be, we ate exactly the same at Disney. For our family it can save money, but I do realize we are not the norm. The problem with absolute statements is as soon as you make them someone usually comes along and tells you why you're wrong, it's basically an invitation
I agree we save money as well. We prefer buffets/AYCTE.just easier with 2 hungry kids that want to eat NOW! In addition we have a 2 year old so he eats free at these locations. I have used the calculators and we do come out ahead with SPD deal and just about even at rack rate. I may choose OOP if rack rate is ever the only option. Not sure though we have traveled twice now with SPD.
zy144622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disney dining, premiere card



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.