DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Taking over contract from my parents

I am looking for an inexpensive way to "transfer" a DVC contract from my parents to me ... but still keep the DCL/ABD, etc advantage.

My parents bought 170 pts at BoardWalk not from Disney but prior to the restriction of using points for DCL, etc (if not bought directly through Disney.)

They no longer want to keep these points and would rather keep them in the family than go through another company and have to pay ~$2K in fees (title search, brokerage, etc).

Is there a certain way they can sell/transfer/other wording the contract to me so that I can become the new owner but also still use these points for DVC stays + DCL, ABD, etc?

I really wasn't planning to add on more points right now (already have SSR and AKV) but if I can help my parents out and also get more DVC points for cheaper than normal, I would consider taking over their contract.

Advice?

Thanks!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Certainly they can gift the contracts to you. I think you'll still need to contact member services/member accounting for a waiver of the ROFR. Assuming their contract is paid in full, and their is no outstanding loan balance, it should then be fairly easy to do a quit claim deed and file it with the appropriate county, depending upon which DVC they own.

Gift a contract to family or inheriting a contract maintains the original status and allows you to keep the DCL/Disney Collection options. If they have the same use year as you do, it can probably even be merged into your existing DVC Member number.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Certainly they can gift the contracts to you. I think you'll still need to contact member services/member accounting for a waiver of the ROFR. Assuming their contract is paid in full, and their is no outstanding loan balance, it should then be fairly easy to do a quit claim deed and file it with the appropriate county, depending upon which DVC they own. Gift a contract to family or inheriting a contract maintains the original status and allows you to keep the DCL/Disney Collection options. If they have the same use year as you do, it can probably even be merged into your existing DVC Member number.
Thank you for your response! I knew the DIS would help me.

DH and I talked more and we decided although the deal is a good one, this is not the right time to put out that money.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
I really wasn't planning to add on more points right now (already have SSR and AKV) but if I can help my parents out and also get more DVC points for cheaper than normal, I would consider taking over their contract.

Advice?

Thanks!
This made me chuckle - you are certainly getting points cheaper some where in the ball park of 13,000.00 cheaper and your parents are very generous since they could easily walk away with more then 11,000.00 in their pocket with very little effort! Enjoy those points

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
This made me chuckle - you are certainly getting points cheaper some where in the ball park of 13,000.00 cheaper and your parents are very generous since they could easily walk away with more then 11,000.00 in their pocket with very little effort! Enjoy those points
Well, we decided not to buy. We don't have the extra money, even though it is a good deal. BW is not our fav and the use year is different. My parents want the money now, not on a payment plan because ... They decided they now want to buy at BCV instead and buy more points.

Go figure!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

If you were going to purchase the contract from your parents, it would not be a gift and would likely invoke closer scrutiny in the ROFR process - where it might lose the non-DVC options like any other resale purchase.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
If you were going to purchase the contract from your parents, it would not be a gift and would likely invoke closer scrutiny in the ROFR process - where it might lose the non-DVC options like any other resale purchase.
Yes, this would not have been a gift...they now want the money to buy another contract!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterDoc View Post
Exactly and to put terms different than the actual deal on the paperwork sent to Disney would have been illegal. I'd go a step further, it would almost certainly not have passed as a gratuitous transfer and retain the qualified status if done legally otherwise.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Exactly and to put terms different than the actual deal on the paperwork sent to Disney would have been illegal. I'd go a step further, it would almost certainly not have passed as a gratuitous transfer and retain the qualified status if done legally otherwise.
Um ....
Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Um ....
Not totally sure what you're meaning, but if you're asking for explanation, here are the possibilities you have.
  • Submit it for market value and pay market value and it would likely have passed ROFR but should become unqualified.
  • Pay and submit for a much lower price, Disney likely would have taken it and that would not only be their right but their obligation if the price were low enough. If it passed, they would still be unqualified points.
  • Given as a gift and submitted as such, automatic ROFR and he points would continue to be qualified.
  • Submit it for market value when you're paying less than market value. This is illegal in FL for RE transactions and all states where I've seen the info. FL would be the determining factor in this situation. This would be fraud.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Not totally sure what you're meaning, but if you're asking for explanation, here are the possibilities you have.
  • Submit it for market value and pay market value and it would likely have passed ROFR but should become unqualified.
  • Pay and submit for a much lower price, Disney likely would have taken it and that would not only be their right but their obligation if the price were low enough. If it passed, they would still be unqualified points.
  • Given as a gift and submitted as such, automatic ROFR and he points would continue to be qualified.
  • Submit it for market value when you're paying less than market value. This is illegal in FL for RE transactions and all states where I've seen the info. FL would be the determining factor in this situation. This would be fraud.
Thank you for the list of options!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: