Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
Mickeys Carol
Mouseketeer

Question Ice in the room

Can you request an ice bucket for your room on the Magic?
Mickeys Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeys Carol View Post
They'll even fill it with ice.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You will already have an ice bucket and if you let your stateroom host/hostess know, they will keep if filled for you or ours did.
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

If you are using the ice in the bucket for drinks, you should be aware that the ice bucket has been cited as one of the germiest places in a hotel room. It is often used by guests for things other than ice, then simply rinsed rather than sanitized.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
If you are using the ice in the bucket for drinks, you should be aware that the ice bucket has been cited as one of the germiest places in a hotel room. It is often used by guests for things other than ice, then simply rinsed rather than sanitized.
Eew! No, we do not use the ice to put in our drinks but to stick bottles of beer in to get them colder.
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Mickeys Carol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh no, we would only use it to keep a bottle of wine cold. I would think they would sanitize it to optimize lowering the transmission of diseases.

Thanks for the info..
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
cheerbearsmiles
Disney Princess of New Jersey!

I'd just go up to Cabana's and grab a few of those sanitizing wipes and wipe the thing out, then give it a good rinse in the sink.

For the record, hubby and I used the ice bucket on our last cruise without cleaning it out, and we didn't get sick. YMMV.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh no, we would only use it to keep a bottle of wine cold. I would think they would sanitize it to optimize lowering the transmission of diseases.

Thanks for the info..
Ideally I would hope they would, but here is what I've read, and keep in mind it targeted no specific company but rather a general statement of industry. This was grabbed from RN Central.

"Ice buckets. These little gems are often overlooked for cleaning. Apparently, it is common for hotel guests to use the empty ice buckets for a vomit container, then they are simply rinsed with water and put back on the counter top. Housekeeping staff may glance at the bucket and think it is clean, but in reality, it is not. These containers with remnants of vomit can spread norovirus, among other diseases. "

As someone else pointed out, ymmv, If there is a plastic bag liner, use it, if not, I'll skip the bucket entirely. I do bring Lysol also to disinfect common items in our room. If your just keeping a bottle cold, the Magic is supposedly having all of the coolers updated with room mini fridges.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

You can call Room Service and order a bucket of ice. Those come in plastic tubs that are different than the ice buckets in the room, and presumably have been run through the dishwasher just like all of the dishes that are used for Room Service. In fact, they once asked me if the ice was for drinking, or just cooling down bottles/cans, so I suppose you can specify that the ice is for drinking so they know to give you clean stuff.

Another thing you can do, and I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier, is once you have your clean ice tub from Room Service the first time, you can take it to the pool deck beverage station and refill it with ice from the soda machine anytime you want, so that you can have fresh ice without having to wait for room service each time. Of course, if you're ordering food from room service anyway, it's easy enough to ask them to bring a bucket of ice along with it.

The cabin stewards will also get ice for you, but they just fill your in-room ice bucket or bring you another of the same kind. Also, although I've not seen the plastic liners for ice buckets like many hotels have these days, I'd imagine that Disney has this issue covered and runs the buckets through a dishwasher. Considering how much attention to sanitation and cleanliness they pay in general, it would surprise me if such an obvious means of disease transmission was overlooked.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Mickeys Carol
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for this information. It has been approximately 4 years since we have gone on a Disney Cruise and we are so excited. I just hate that it is not until October before we go. I wish it was today. Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ice buckets can be handy for washing out underwear and socks.
MND is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: