Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #16
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

My kids are 8, 9, and 12 right now, and they are all excited about having their own places to go on the cruise rather than with being with mom and dad the entire time. My kids go to day camp in the summer, so they are used to meeting new friends and taking part in group activities. They ask me to show them the videos of their clubs all the time. My 12 year old is particularly keen about having his OWN club without his brother and sister.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #17
BenbowInn
Mouseketeer

It's hard to say how a child will react. Our son was 3 and a half on our first cruise and 3 on our second cruise and he loved the kids club both times (non Disney cruises). I'm a stay at home mom so he's never been in daycare or really even away from us at all except for the occasional night with the grandparents, yet he did great away from us since his personality is so independent, plus being around us all the time makes him enjoy a break from us. He never wanted to leave the clubs. We're going on the Disney Fantasy this December just after he turns 6, so here's hoping he enjoys the clubs again since I think the kids area looks amazing and that's the main reason we decided to do a Disney cruise.

Just to add, my son is more of a free play type person rather than sit and follow along with scheduled activities, and both cruises the counselors had trouble getting him to focus since he just wants to do his own thing, so as long as free play is an option he will be okay.

Only time will tell if your child will enjoy it, but I've found with my son and nieces and nephews, that the less I talk about something and build it up, the more they actually enjoy it. It seems that talking something up kind of builds up expectations and takes away the surprise, so I've found that it's best to casually mention something to kids, but don't talk it to death cause they will build it up in their heads and be disappointed when it doesn't match expectations. I've just learned that over the years with any fun outing or activity that kids are easily disappointed when things don't match to what it is in their minds.
BenbowInn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #18
HappyTogether
Mouseketeer

DCL has the only kids club of all our cruises that my child called me to get out of. Hated them.
HappyTogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #19
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

On both our cruises my 8 year old nearly had to be pried out of the clubs to go do anything else.

My 13 year old is a different story. He was unsure about the Edge on the Magic on our first cruise and he ended up having a less than great time there. There was a mean group of kids who put a damper on the whole thing for him. When we went on the Wonder for our second cruise he wanted nothing to do with the Edge. I encouraged him (rather strongly) to at least attend the getting-to-know-you events on the first night. I talked to the counselors about his fears and they did an AMAZING job helping him feel more comfortable and get involved in the various activities. He loved the Edge and wanted to be there all the time. He has ASD and doesn't always adapt to new situations well but every time I would go to the Edge to pick him up or check on him he was right in the middle of things and having a great time. I made sure to mention the Edge counselors on our comment card because they (along with the nice mix of kids on our cruise) really made our son's cruise super special. Now he can't wait for our third cruise and is hoping he'll get to see some of the same counselors.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #20
Bjornda
Earning My Ears

My 8 year old wasn't a fan of them, but I expect it had more to do with her love of swimming than disliking the kids club. I'm pretty certain we spent all of our time swimming if we weren't at a show or eating.
Bjornda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #21
DLW8
DIS Veteran

My kids were almost 8 on our first cruise and didn't really care for the kids club, we cruised with friends and the only time that DD and her friend wanted to go to the club was to learn the Friendship Rocks dance/show.

Second cruise they were almost 9 and the only time they went to the club was when DH and I went to Palo brunch. DS says it was his least favorite time on any of the cruises. LOL

Last cruise, they were almost 11 and had no desire to go to the Club/Lab, they were allowed to go to the Edge. They did the Scavenger Hunt and that's it. They weren't fans of the Edge either.

My kids are outgoing and grew up going to daycare and after school care, so they are used to being around a group of kids. They just don't find the activities in the club/lab/Edge something they want to do while they are on a cruise. They'd rather hang with us on the pool deck, shuffleboard, ping pong, the mini golf, mid ship detective agency, sports simulator, learning to draw a character, learning how to make an apple struedel, or anything else that is offered on the ship than being in the club/lab/edge.

Each kid is different and I am quite fine with the fact that they still want to hang out with us, I'm sure the time will come when they will hang with new friends rather than mom and dad, but for now, I am loving our DCL family vacation time.

3/2014 Solo weekend Yacht Club, 9/2012 Eastern Cruise on the Fantasy, 9/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge to celebrate our 15th Anniversary, 11/2010 Cruisin on the Magic, 12/5/09 First Cruise with a stay at the Poly, 1/16/08 First Family trip: Boardwalk Villas, 5/2000 PO, 10/1997 Dixie, 8/1995 Yacht Club, 6/1995 All Star Music, 1972 - 1989: off property trips in my youth!!

Currently saving for a Fall Western Fantasy in 2014!
DLW8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: