Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Magic Planning Party

We are sailing November 30th. It will be myself, dh, dd13, dd's friend 13, and ds7. We are celebrating our 40th birthdays and our 15 year anniversary on this cruise so we splurged and booked the Roy suite. Since we really want to make this a vacation of a lifetime I want to host a Once a month Disney cruise planning party. My idea is to focus on one area each month ie excursions, dining rotation preference, etc. I also want to give the kids small surprises at each party ie trading pins, matching tees, lanyards?
Has anyone done this before and have any creative suggestions?
I'd love to do Fe with them but I'm a little hesitant right now that we'll have a group (turns out its a podcast cruise and we are not booked through DU) but in any case it will be advent so I'll be doing advent surprises for the kids, but Fe crafts would be fun to do during one party.
Any other suggestions?

[/url]
ALMinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
SunLuvr321
Mouseketeer

I have read quite a bit about families wearing matching shirts, especially for their embarkation photo. I am thinking about making T-shirts with my grandkids before we go on the cruise. One of the options I am considering is a Tie-Dye Mickey head shirt. The directions are in this thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2028914
SunLuvr321 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
AlmostAmber22
Sorcerer's Apprentice

We're thinking of doing something like this for sailaway this year as well! These are super cute!

Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas Cruise - September 15th, 2013

Disney Magic 7 Night Western Caribbean "Merry" Time Cruise - December 14th, 2014! Our 3rd Disney Cruise!
AlmostAmber22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
wcw57
DIS Veteran

we had a planning party where my DGD and I cooked meals/snacks from Disney cookbook...(simple stuff) and then we discussed a couple of things...and then we had activities like draw mickey with eyes closed...draw the ship from memory....simple/silly stuff..

we had another meeting where everyone got a small disney figurine from dollar store as favor....

and. of course, the infamous countdown chain!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Goofy559
Cruise Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMinVA View Post
We are sailing November 30th. It will be myself, dh, dd13, dd's friend 13, and ds7. We are celebrating our 40th birthdays and our 15 year anniversary on this cruise so we splurged and booked the Roy suite. Since we really want to make this a vacation of a lifetime I want to host a Once a month Disney cruise planning party. My idea is to focus on one area each month ie excursions, dining rotation preference, etc. I also want to give the kids small surprises at each party ie trading pins, matching tees, lanyards?
Has anyone done this before and have any creative suggestions?
I'd love to do Fe with them but I'm a little hesitant right now that we'll have a group (turns out its a podcast cruise and we are not booked through DU) but in any case it will be advent so I'll be doing advent surprises for the kids, but Fe crafts would be fun to do during one party.
Any other suggestions?

When our friends joined us on their first Disney cruise, I hosted a dinner party where each course was food from one of the islands we would be visiting - it was a lot of fun researching, and all the food was great!

Disney Cast Member 1985 (Canadian Pavillion at Epcot) and 20+ Disney World visits
MV Britnannis 1982 no stabilizers!, MV Bolero -- Transatlantic -- 1991 and A bunch of others with my dad , Carnival 3-night Bahamas 2004, Disney Magic W Carib 2005, 2007, 2009, Med 2010, Sun Princess S Carib 2006, Adventure of the Seas S Carib 2008, Coral Princess Alaska 2008, Wonder 3-day bounceback 2009, Diamond Princess 16 night SE Asia Mar 2010, Disney Dream MV - Jan 2011, Allure of the Seas - Mar 2011, Disney Dream June 2011, Disney Fantasy MV - Mar 2012, Magic to Canada -Aug 2012, Wonder - California Oct 2012, Fantasy to San Juan - Mar 2013, Royal Princess MV - 21 days in Europe

[
Goofy559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLuvr321 View Post
I have read quite a bit about families wearing matching shirts, especially for their embarkation photo. I am thinking about making T-shirts with my grandkids before we go on the cruise. One of the options I am considering is a Tie-Dye Mickey head shirt. The directions are in this thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2028914
Interesting! We actually did something like this as an activity pool side when we stayed at the Yacht Club last year. Great idea to run past the kids! Thanks for sharing!

[/url]
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw57 View Post
we had a planning party where my DGD and I cooked meals/snacks from Disney cookbook...(simple stuff) and then we discussed a couple of things...and then we had activities like draw mickey with eyes closed...draw the ship from memory....simple/silly stuff.. we had another meeting where everyone got a small disney figurine from dollar store as favor.... and. of course, the infamous countdown chain!!!!
The countdown chain! Thanks for the ideas and the reminder. Sounds like it was fun! I'm going to research some snacks. Too bad they don't ship Mickey bars!

[/url]
Old 01-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy559 View Post
When our friends joined us on their first Disney cruise, I hosted a dinner party where each course was food from one of the islands we would be visiting - it was a lot of fun researching, and all the food was great!
Oh that sounds delicious! I'm dreaming of fried plantains! Forget the kids, dh and I can have our own party :-)

[/url]
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
storknurse13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMinVA View Post
We are sailing November 30th. It will be myself, dh, dd13, dd's friend 13, and ds7. We are celebrating our 40th birthdays and our 15 year anniversary on this cruise so we splurged and booked the Roy suite. Since we really want to make this a vacation of a lifetime I want to host a Once a month Disney cruise planning party. My idea is to focus on one area each month ie excursions, dining rotation preference, etc. I also want to give the kids small surprises at each party ie trading pins, matching tees, lanyards? Has anyone done this before and have any creative suggestions? I'd love to do Fe with them but I'm a little hesitant right now that we'll have a group (turns out its a podcast cruise and we are not booked through DU) but in any case it will be advent so I'll be doing advent surprises for the kids, but Fe crafts would be fun to do during one party. Any other suggestions?
Have you thought about ordering the kids Disney Dollars to spend on the ship? You have to search Disney dollars on the parks website and order them! It's a great idea for surprising the kids!
DCL Fantasy April 2013~Concierge, DCL Magic January 2012~Concierge, WDW April 2011~DS 3 weeks old/DD 4th Bday, WDW Dec 2009~DS 1st Bday, RCI Jewel Of The Seas 30~Oct 2010/ 13 Night Special Caribbean Cruise, RCI Mariner Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas~May 2008/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Freedom Of The Seas~Oct-2006/ 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Jewel Of The Seas~Oct-2004/ 10 Night Canada/New England Cruise, RCI Enchantment Of The Seas~May-2004/ 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Navigator Of The Seas~Oct-2003/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Explorer Of The Seas~Oct-2002/ 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, CCL Triumph~October 2000/ 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Sovereign Of The Seas~Oct-1997/ 4 Night Bahamas Cruise, WDW-New Year's Eve 1985, WDW-Family Reunion Vacation 1982

storknurse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
storknurse13
Mouseketeer

Have you thought about ordering the children Disney Dollars from the Disney Parks website? That would be a fun surprise for them!
DCL Fantasy April 2013~Concierge, DCL Magic January 2012~Concierge, WDW April 2011~DS 3 weeks old/DD 4th Bday, WDW Dec 2009~DS 1st Bday, RCI Jewel Of The Seas 30~Oct 2010/ 13 Night Special Caribbean Cruise, RCI Mariner Of The Seas Mariner Of The Seas~May 2008/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Freedom Of The Seas~Oct-2006/ 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Jewel Of The Seas~Oct-2004/ 10 Night Canada/New England Cruise, RCI Enchantment Of The Seas~May-2004/ 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Navigator Of The Seas~Oct-2003/ 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, RCI Explorer Of The Seas~Oct-2002/ 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise, CCL Triumph~October 2000/ 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise, RCI Sovereign Of The Seas~Oct-1997/ 4 Night Bahamas Cruise, WDW-New Year's Eve 1985, WDW-Family Reunion Vacation 1982

storknurse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

We always have a pre cruise party and serve a pirate menu with all the foods renamed. Below is a cut and paste of what I posted in a similar thread last year:

We always try to have a pre cruise party when we travel with a large group.

Castaway Cay Chicken Parm
Buccaneer Burgers
Yo Ho Ho Hot Dogs
Walk the Plank Marinated Flank Steak
Pieces of Eight Pasta
Shiver Me Timbers Tomatoes
Gangplank Green Salad
Treasure Chest Chicken Wings
Captain Jack Black Bean Salad

I made these ship cookies and ordered a Bon Voyage cookie cake:

Some decorations

I have also ordered a Bon Voyage banner from Oriental Trading and got nautical flag streamers and other nautical decorations and paper goods.

And of course my Captain Mickey Big Fig

I used Nigella Lawson's sugar cookie recipe and her cookie icing recipe (and just colored the glazes with food coloring). I got the ship cookie cutter at a small country store but it can be found online as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ipe/index.html

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 01-07-2014 at 03:58 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
We always have a pre cruise party and serve a pirate menu with all the foods renamed. Below is a cut and paste of what I posted in a similar thread last year: We always try to have a pre cruise party when we travel with a large group. Castaway Cay Chicken Parm Buccaneer Burgers Yo Ho Ho Hot Dogs Walk the Plank Marinated Flank Steak Pieces of Eight Pasta Shiver Me Timbers Tomatoes Gangplank Green Salad Treasure Chest Chicken Wings Captain Jack Black Bean Salad I made these ship cookies and ordered a Bon Voyage cookie cake: Some decorations I have also ordered a Bon Voyage banner from Oriental Trading and got nautical flag streamers and other nautical decorations and paper goods. And of course my Captain Mickey Big Fig I used Nigella Lawson's sugar cookie recipe and her cookie icing recipe (and just colored the glazes with food coloring). I got the ship cookie cutter at a small country store but it can be found online as well. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ipe/index.html MJ

Wow! That's awesome!

[/url]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: