Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #31
serene56
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,281

I seriously doubt if the dining plan saved us money. If it saved money more people would be buying it.

We did OOP last trip.
2 adults 1 child
would have cost us 959.00

instead we got money for 800 on a gift card.
We opted out of desserts with each meal as we do not eat like that and are too full from the meal itself to sqeeze in more.

so the 800 gift card fed us all week plus out snack and we still have $6.36 on that card. (we even used it for tips)
Our food was prepaid but we had better choices and not sticking to the plan for getting the best for our money


We ate at Teppen Edo, Be Our Guest, Mama Melrose, 1900 Park Fair, Ohana for a breakfast and a dinner, kona for a breakfast and some where else (I forget)
some of our CS was not worth a CS credit -- Earl of Sandwich, Sleepy hallow, Casey's Cosmic Rays, (many places around world showcase) Boardwalk to go, etc etc
__________________
Epcot passports -ebay- Joephila1

Last edited by serene56; 01-08-2014 at 01:20 PM.
serene56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #32
whodatdare
Mouseketeer
 
whodatdare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PA by way of Neverland
Posts: 246

I've gone twice. Both times with FREE dining, and really liked it. Going this June and trying to decide it we want it. I never considered just buying like 20 50 dollar GC's at target and getting 100 off that off using the red card/pharmacy card. So, 1000 to eat for 10 days. two kids, two adults. It would cut it close. DDP for us is 1400. I'm going to have to look into this more, now!
__________________
Me DW DD8 DD4

whodatdare is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #33
whodatdare
Mouseketeer
 
whodatdare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PA by way of Neverland
Posts: 246

I've gone twice. Both times with FREE dining, and really liked it. Going this June and trying to decide it we want it. I never considered just buying like 20 50 dollar GC's at target and getting 100 off that off using the red card/pharmacy card. So, 1000 to eat for 10 days. two kids, two adults. It would cut it close. DDP for us is 1400. I'm going to have to look into this more, now!
__________________
Me DW DD8 DD4

whodatdare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #34
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,860

For our family, if we compare the cost of what we order with the DDP to the price of the DDP, we save about $250 over a just under 2 week trip. If we took out the things we wouldn't be ordering otherwise, we would save a bit, but be much closer to breaking even. If I had to guess, it would be more like $50-100 in savings. We wouldn't order QS desserts, rarely order desserts at TS, and rarely order soft drinks. However, the main reason the DDP works out for my family is because the majority of our TS dinners are great uses of the credit, almost all of them are buffets/family style. Those meals have the price of the drink/dessert built in, so we'd be paying for them regardless.

We've used free dining for the last few trips, so it's been a no brainer. Free dining is a great deal for our family, even compared to room discounts. We can't eat the way we enjoy from the money we save with room discounts. If we had to pay for it, we probably would cut back on our expensive TS dinners to lower the food cost as opposed to paying for the DDP even though it does save us money, just because the cost of those meals is outrageous no matter how you slice it.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:45 AM   #35
mommy-3
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 116

We have done the quick service plan 3 times before. At the time we really loved it! Once was the Visa promo kids stay, play, & dine free...all 3 of our kids qualified. Now we are to the point where our kids are becoming Disney adults. This is where is gets hairy.

I have crunched some numbers and found that we will save about $200 just paying OOP. That will cover our meal for CRT. I plan I buying gift cards through scrip (from our church) and just planning about $100 per day including snacks and extra

It all depends on the family
mommy-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #36
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,928

Just went back and looked at a 2007 dining brochure and it says "Save up to 40%"
http://web.archive.org/web/200702030...s/07Dining.pdf

Looked at the 2013 brochure and it says, "The Disney Dining Plan can save you up to 15% per adult on dining."
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #37
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
Just went back and looked at a 2007 dining brochure and it says "Save up to 40%"
http://web.archive.org/web/200702030...s/07Dining.pdf

Looked at the 2013 brochure and it says, "The Disney Dining Plan can save you up to 15% per adult on dining."
My family still talks about what an awesome deal the DDP was back in 2007. It was our first time using it and we were blown away. It included so much food (apps, entree and dessert) AND included the tip all for a little over half what it costs today.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #38
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
I seriously doubt if the dining plan saved us money. If it saved money more people would be buying it.

We did OOP last trip.
2 adults 1 child
would have cost us 959.00

instead we got money for 800 on a gift card.
We opted out of desserts with each meal as we do not eat like that and are too full from the meal itself to sqeeze in more.

so the 800 gift card fed us all week plus out snack and we still have $6.36 on that card. (we even used it for tips)
Our food was prepaid but we had better choices and not sticking to the plan for getting the best for our money


We ate at Teppen Edo, Be Our Guest, Mama Melrose, 1900 Park Fair, Ohana for a breakfast and a dinner, kona for a breakfast and some where else (I forget)
some of our CS was not worth a CS credit -- Earl of Sandwich, Sleepy hallow, Casey's Cosmic Rays, (many places around world showcase) Boardwalk to go, etc etc
It doesn't save ANYONE any money. If people did a little more research, they'd realize that. It's become, "If you eat at a lot of character buffets, you'll save money," but that's just not true. You'd played it perfectly going the gift card route -- the biggest benefit being that you don't have to get QSR desserts which nobody in the world would buy without being on the plan..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #39
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
It doesn't save ANYONE any money. If people did a little more research, they'd realize that. It's become, "If you eat at a lot of character buffets, you'll save money," but that's just not true. You'd played it perfectly going the gift card route -- the biggest benefit being that you don't have to get QSR desserts which nobody in the world would buy without being on the plan..
Yes it does. I've done tons of research, punching in the exact prices and comparing it to the dining plan cost. It's pretty rude to imply people who disagree with you haven't researched.

It absolutely does save money if you would eat similarly to the dining plan without it. Comparing the cost of the restaurants to the cost of the DDP, we save about $250. I know that number is inflated because of the items we wouldn't order otherwise, but even taking out QS desserts, we still come out ahead. Everything else is similar to how we would order. There is a slight savings there. The sticking point is you'll save money if you would eat the same on the dining plan and off. Almost all of our meals (I think there's only 1 for upcoming trip that isn't) are buffets or family style. They are where we want to eat, we're not eating there because of the DDP. We can't eat at those restaurants on the cheap, we can't cut out a dessert, we either go and pay the full price or don't go at all.

It is much harder to save money with the DDP than it used to be. If we weren't getting it for free this trip, we wouldn't be buying it even though there still is a slight savings for us. We'd opt to eat at cheaper restaurants or do QS for some meals, because of the outrageous prices whether you're paying OOP or using the DDP. $58 per person per night and $45 to eat at a character buffet are both lots of money.

Again, the determining factor is whether or not you would order the same OOP. For years before the dining plan came to be, we ate exactly the same at Disney. For our family it can save money, but I do realize we are not the norm.

The problem with absolute statements is as soon as you make them someone usually comes along and tells you why you're wrong, it's basically an invitation
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #40
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethananyonex View Post

Yes it does. I've done tons of research, punching in the exact prices and comparing it to the dining plan cost. It's pretty rude to imply people who disagree with you haven't researched.

It absolutely does save money if you would eat similarly to the dining plan without it. Comparing the cost of the restaurants to the cost of the DDP, we save about $250. I know that number is inflated because of the items we wouldn't order otherwise, but even taking out QS desserts, we still come out ahead. Everything else is similar to how we would order. There is a slight savings there. The sticking point is you'll save money if you would eat the same on the dining plan and off. Almost all of our meals (I think there's only 1 for upcoming trip that isn't) are buffets or family style. They are where we want to eat, we're not eating there because of the DDP. We can't eat at those restaurants on the cheap, we can't cut out a dessert, we either go and pay the full price or don't go at all.

It is much harder to save money with the DDP than it used to be. If we weren't getting it for free this trip, we wouldn't be buying it even though there still is a slight savings for us. We'd opt to eat at cheaper restaurants or do QS for some meals, because of the outrageous prices whether you're paying OOP or using the DDP. $58 per person per night and $45 to eat at a character buffet are both lots of money.

Again, the determining factor is whether or not you would order the same OOP. For years before the dining plan came to be, we ate exactly the same at Disney. For our family it can save money, but I do realize we are not the norm.

The problem with absolute statements is as soon as you make them someone usually comes along and tells you why you're wrong, it's basically an invitation
First, nobody would eat the same way - being on the plan as paying oop. Would your family really get qsr desserts? I doubt it. Second, figure in the higher gratuities because the only way to maximize value of the plan is to go for the highest priced items. You said it yourself, if you weren't getting it for free, you wouldn't get it (getting the free plan is also a terrible idea btw). The plan is a racket and Disney should be ashamed of itself for practically forcing it on its customers.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #41
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
First, nobody would eat the same way - being on the plan as paying oop. Would your family really get qsr desserts? I doubt it. Second, figure in the higher gratuities because the only way to maximize value of the plan is to go for the highest priced items. You said it yourself, if you weren't getting it for free, you wouldn't get it (getting the free plan is also a terrible idea btw). The plan is a racket and Disney should be ashamed of itself for practically forcing it on its customers.
I addressed those points in my post, I'll say it again.

We wouldn't get QS desserts, however if you subtract the cost of them, we still come out ahead, but closer to $50. Like I said, I addressed that.

We don't have higher gratuities. Ours are the exact same they would be. We don't order desserts, BUT out of 10 TS meals we are only eating at 1 that has a separate dessert and isn't price fixed. The prices are the same on and off the dining plan. We ate at these same restaurants before the dining plan existed. We eat them (plus newer ones) because we like them. Again, I addressed this in my post.

I said in my post (it really seems like you skimmed not read) that we wouldn't buy the DDP OOP, but that's simply because the food costs have become outrageous no matter how you slice it. It still does save us money, but paying the buffet costs every night is not something we want to do, on the DDP or not. That doesn't mean the DDP doesn't still save slightly over paying for the restaurants we like OOP. It just means we would sacrifice going to them because they are crazy.

Lastly, free dining is the better deal for my family. There was no RD available for our resort this trip (or it was something tiny). We are 5 Disney adults. It takes a huge room discount for us to eat even close to the way we like to that would make FD not worth it. For us, 35% on a rack rate of $700-800 a night was the point at which the RD is more beneficial.

I had already stated that it is not easy to save money on the DDP, but it is not impossible like you stated. It depends entirely on how you would eat off the DDP. Like I said though, seems like you only skimmed my post. You are obviously one of those people who are convinced that there is no possible way that DDP or FD can work for a family, so I think I'm wasting my time here.
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #42
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran
 
ML_LovesDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 1,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkool View Post
On average when paying full price for the disney dining plan how much does money does it save? We used it last time and liked it for ease of use and budget but its hard to say how much we actually saved, I should have tracked it wen we were there.

Anyways I am wondering if the savings are more than 10% because on our next visit I am thinking it might make more sense to take advantage of the 10% off of dining that I get from the disney premiere card.

Thoughts?
You have to look at it for your family, but the DDP stopped making sense for us about 2 years ago with the price increase. If it was still 2010 pricing per day, I would still get it. But now, we save about $80 with the DDP so it no longer makes sense (we wouldn't normally order dessert).
__________________
Me DH DD 9 DD 6 SSR Feb. 2010, BWV & BCV Aug. 2010, BCV/BLT Aug. 2011, AKV Feb 2012, Disney Fantasy & BLT March 2013, AKV July 2013, Disney Magic/BLT Feb 2014, AKV- July 2014

ML_LovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #43
KaLyn
DIS Veteran
 
KaLyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: About 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 1,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
It doesn't save ANYONE any money. If people did a little more research, they'd realize that. It's become, "If you eat at a lot of character buffets, you'll save money," but that's just not true. You'd played it perfectly going the gift card route -- the biggest benefit being that you don't have to get QSR desserts which nobody in the world would buy without being on the plan..
I have done research, thank you. Hours and hours, and likely days at this point. Actually. I went over each menu of where we are eating at, figuring out what we would typically eat (typically, not the most expensive) at a restaurant and adding it up. Still coming up with a $200+ savings. I believe it's easier to come ahead when you have more kids than adults. It all depends on your family and eating style. It's not one-size fits all, I will say that. It may be harder for some groups to save money on it, but it's not impossible for everyone as you have assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethananyonex View Post
Yes it does. I've done tons of research, punching in the exact prices and comparing it to the dining plan cost. It's pretty rude to imply people who disagree with you haven't researched. It absolutely does save money if you would eat similarly to the dining plan without it. Comparing the cost of the restaurants to the cost of the DDP, we save about $250. I know that number is inflated because of the items we wouldn't order otherwise, but even taking out QS desserts, we still come out ahead. Everything else is similar to how we would order. There is a slight savings there. The sticking point is you'll save money if you would eat the same on the dining plan and off. Almost all of our meals (I think there's only 1 for upcoming trip that isn't) are buffets or family style. They are where we want to eat, we're not eating there because of the DDP. We can't eat at those restaurants on the cheap, we can't cut out a dessert, we either go and pay the full price or don't go at all. It is much harder to save money with the DDP than it used to be. If we weren't getting it for free this trip, we wouldn't be buying it even though there still is a slight savings for us. We'd opt to eat at cheaper restaurants or do QS for some meals, because of the outrageous prices whether you're paying OOP or using the DDP. $58 per person per night and $45 to eat at a character buffet are both lots of money. Again, the determining factor is whether or not you would order the same OOP. For years before the dining plan came to be, we ate exactly the same at Disney. For our family it can save money, but I do realize we are not the norm. The problem with absolute statements is as soon as you make them someone usually comes along and tells you why you're wrong, it's basically an invitation
This! Spot on!
__________________


Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #44
lugnut33
DIS Veteran
 
lugnut33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,928

"Save up to 15%" is what the advert says, but add in a 18% gratuity and now you're down 3%.
__________________
lugnut33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #45
dominiondad
Mouseketeer
 
dominiondad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 142

We went last summer and did not use the DDP. I carefully tracked how much we spent on food and after our 8 day stay, calculated that paying OOP saved us a total of $100 over the DDP. We did not eat cheap - 4 character meals and Jiko were in the mix, but my family also doesn't eat much until noon.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disney dining, premiere card



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.