Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
eangel12
DIS Veteran

Need Opinions

Hi,

I really would like some opinions on my upcoming Disney trip. Normally I am very sure of what I want to do and plan it accordingly. This trip is a bit different because we are treating my mother-in-law to a Disney trip with her grandkids. She is wonderful and watches our kids, ages 4 and 1, 3 days a week and REFUSES to accept any money for doing this. She saves us $1600.00 a month in childcare bills and also gives me the peace of mind knowing she is with our children.

With that said, we are planning a trip for September 2014. We are going for 10 nights. September 17th-September 27th. I have two options for hotels. Let me preface this with saying WE NEVER HAVE STAYED OFF PROPERTY. Ever...I have always stayed on property either in a moderate or deluxe. Because we have 5 people and my mother-in-law has requested her own space, we need more room than normal.

With that in mind, I have gotten the following quotes:

Wyndham Bonnet Creek-3 bedroom deluxe
$1,600.00

It is a great price. We rent a car and I was going to purchase annual passes and go again in August 2015. Seemed like a done deal.

Then I started thinking of how much I LOVE to stay on Disney property. I am now looking at the following:

2 bedroom standard view room BLT from 9/17-9/22 and then a 2 bedroom savanna view from 9/22-9/27. The price is close to $4000.00 if I can book with the person currently offering me their points for a reduced price.

So the question...is it "worth it" in your opinion to spend $2400.00 extra to stay on Disney property.

We will more than likely rent a minivan because my husband is adamant that the then 2 year old and 4 year old be strapped into a carseat at all times. I showed him Disney Magic Express and he was totally against it because of the no carseat thing. So we will rent a minivan.

We also will skip the annual passes and just do 10 day tickets. The price difference isn't that big because the following August I'll be paying for an annual pass for my now 3 year old to get into the park or a 10 day park ticket so the difference between annual pass and 10 day ticket is pretty small. I do want the TIW card though so may still upgrade one of our tickets so I can purchase that.

Very long winded and I am usually spot on with vacations but I am struggling with this one.

I am asking opinions...we financially can do either option and we aren't "strapped" in any way. I just like to save money to use for my NEXT vacation.

I think the biggest appeal for me is walking into Magic Kingdom...is walking into Magic Kingdom worth $2400.00?? And then walking back to hotel for naps and after MNSSHP.

See, I need help.

Thanks in advance!!
eangel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

It's worth it. Ok. I'll try to convince you. What you have saved in just 1 1/2 months of daycare cost because of your kind mother-in-law is the upgrade cost. Take her and your family to the best in celebration of your day care cost savings. I think you'll feel a lot better about the whole thing in the end. And your mother-in-law will feel very respected and most appreciated.

Now I know your mother-in-law refuses any payment. Many (a lot) of grandparents out there are identical, so don't feel bad. I just get so excited when people are planning these great WDW trips, and I'm trying to give you the feeling that this upgrade is valid. I think this particular WDW trip will be special for your husband, your children, and for you.

I think it's worth it to upgrade given the circumstances
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

For 10 nights with kids that young, I'd do Bonnet Creek. It's great and you are in close proximity to Epcot which is then a short hop to MK. You'll have a full kitchen and a washer and dryer. They have shuttles as well although we didn't use them. If you were talking about less days, I'd say on property. I love staying on property. It doesn't sound like you plan to use Disney transportation so that is not a benefit.
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
dprincessmom
Mouseketeer

what about two rooms

Have you thought about 2 rooms at a moderate? - Own space for Mom and possibly free dining offer while you are there. I am a huge fan of staying onsite. To me it is so worth it.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
eangel12
DIS Veteran

We definitely are not using transportation at this point! We are renting a double stroller so that is another reason for driving too!! I found a minivan for $450.00 for the 10 nights and I'm thinking that will drop even further!!

One if the biggest factors is the idea of staying in Disney for my mother-in-law! I think she'll find it much more magical! While Bonnet Creek looks beautiful, I'm wondering if it won't be Disney magical!!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
eangel12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprincessmom View Post
Have you thought about 2 rooms at a moderate? - Own space for Mom and possibly free dining offer while you are there. I am a huge fan of staying onsite. To me it is so worth it.
We priced it out and it is cheaper to rent the points. I priced out on the Disney site without any specials so not sure if that will hold true!!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
tina.tina
DIS Veteran

I've been thinking about this scenario for a possible trip with my MIL/FIL. If we drive down in my vehicle and stay offsite it will be more difficult to split up.

You may not plan to use the transportation but...
it will be easier for your MIL to use WDW transportation to go back to the resort on her own if you are on site.
tina.tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eangel12 View Post
We priced it out and it is cheaper to rent the points. I priced out on the Disney site without any specials so not sure if that will hold true!!
Are you going to use David's DVC rental? If you are renting points I'd make sure it's a reputable place, and not a private party you don't know. Some people on Dis have been scammed.

I was going to mention 2 rooms at a moderate or value too. And don't forget September is value season discounts, either room only or free dining.

Have you looked into 2 studios at OKW? I've heard they are large, with 2 queens. Since you have a car, OKW may be good.

We love WL, while not on monorail, it has a boat to MK. So maybe WLV 2 bedroom may be a cheaper option then BLT.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 Poly
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
eangel12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina.tina View Post
I've been thinking about this scenario for a possible trip with my MIL/FIL. If we drive down in my vehicle and stay offsite it will be more difficult to split up.

You may not plan to use the transportation but...
it will be easier for your MIL to use WDW transportation to go back to the resort on her own if you are on site.
Interesting perspective that I never considered. She was treated for breast cancer three years ago and has neuropathy as a result leading to pain in her feet. I wonder if that will be a problem. I should talk to her. Maybe doing a split between two Disney hotels is the way to go. Yikes...how could I have overlooked that?! Gesh!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
eangel12
DIS Veteran

So after a family meeting the decision is off site with annual passes. We will do one night at a Disney hotel to start our vacation because we have Bonnet Creek booked 9/18-9/28. We are now flying in on the 17th and will book Disney rooms for one night to get the Magic Bands so we can link our passes! Seems like a good compromise. We are going to take the parks at a slower pace to accommodate my MIL. The hubby wanted the 3 bedroom so we would have our own room and the boys would have theirs. I'm glad we are doing 1 Disney night so I can do dining reservations and get a Magic Band!!

Thanks for the opinions!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: