Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
mkmomto2
Earning My Ears
 
mkmomto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49

Question Room only reservation convert to package

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about booking a trip for the middle to end of August, hoping for free dining possibly. Has anyone ever booked just a room only reservation so that the deposit would be minimal, but in order to start planning and then added the package on when a special arrived or later when the total was due? Also, if I book a room for two people and then have another person to add to the same room, is that a big deal?

Thanks for your help!
mkmomto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmomto2 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about booking a trip for the middle to end of August, hoping for free dining possibly. Has anyone ever booked just a room only reservation so that the deposit would be minimal, but in order to start planning and then added the package on when a special arrived or later when the total was due? Also, if I book a room for two people and then have another person to add to the same room, is that a big deal?

Thanks for your help!
RO reservations require a deposit equal to 1 night's room rate + tax, with the balance due at check in. Packages require a deposit of $200, with the balance due 45 days prior to arrival. So, depending on which resort/room type you choose, the deposit for a package could be cheaper than RO. With that said, there's nothing wrong with booking RO and changing to a package later, but it's not as easy as just adding tickets and DDP to make it a package. The RO would have to be cancelled/refunded and a package booked, requiring a new $200 deposit (or payment in full if this is done 45 days or less from arrival). Since RO and packages are different reservation systems, money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other. As far as adding another person, that can easily be done later on (although must be done at least 3 days prior to arrival for a package with the DDP). HTH .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
mkmomto2
Earning My Ears
 
mkmomto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49

Awesome response! Thank you so much! Knowing that there are two different reservation systems makes my decision for me. Having figured that out, if I have a package booked then, and there is a a special like free dining that comes out, will it be relatively easy to apply the special or should I just wait to see if there is a special at that time? Thanks for all of your help! I'm so excited to start planning that I'm getting a little anxious to book something! lol
mkmomto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmomto2 View Post
Awesome response! Thank you so much! Knowing that there are two different reservation systems makes my decision for me. Having figured that out, if I have a package booked then, and there is a a special like free dining that comes out, will it be relatively easy to apply the special or should I just wait to see if there is a special at that time? Thanks for all of your help! I'm so excited to start planning that I'm getting a little anxious to book something! lol
You're welcome .

Yes, if you already have a package, it will be easy to modify your current reservation to reflect FD. One other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes you have to be flexible with your resort and/or room type as not all resorts/room types are included/available under promos and having a reservation already in place does not guarantee a discount can be applied. Also, if FD isn't an option for your dates but a RO discount is offered, you can still have a package and use a room discount (pending availability). The discount would apply to the room portion only, but you can still use a room discount on a package reservation .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,767

I think the responder made it sound slightly more complicated than it is. What they said is true, but WDTC can convert RO to a package in one short phone call. If you use a cc, unless your statement is about to close- the first deposit will (nearly always) be refunded in the same statement as the new deposit. When I convert, I usually just have WDW make the package deposit the same as the old RO one.

Also, there is another good reason to book RO- A RO can be cancelled/modified without penalty until five days before you go. ALL you need to prepay is the one night deposit.

A package must be paid in full 45 DAYS before you go. After the 45 day mark...there are penalties for making changes/cancelations. (unless you are adding to the package cost. Like if you add another guest, you just pay the difference.

DO read about the booking terms carefully for yourself. Mousesavers details all the rules, including the benefit of booking over the phone. No matter what, I like to price out exactly what I want online- then MAKE SURE that what they want to charge me is exactly the same. Sometimes over the phone they make a mistake, but the terms are slightly better.

With RO, if a deal doesn't come out via WDW, then you can save money. the DDP is no longer a good deal if you have to pay for it. You run a good risk of losing money- no refunds if you miss a meal, lose $ don't eat dessert with EVERY meal. You can also save a tiny bit off tickets buying them via UT. The only reason to book a WDw package is if it offers substantial savings and you know the risks. Further- sometimes "% off the room" only discount is often a better deal than the packages.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
mkmomto2
Earning My Ears
 
mkmomto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
. Also, if FD isn't an option for your dates but a RO discount is offered, you can still have a package and use a room discount (pending availability). The discount would apply to the room portion only, but you can still use a room discount on a package reservation .
Seriously? That is awesome! I did not know that at all! I knew that I might have to switch resorts or room types to apply a package, but I didn't know that the room only discount could be applied to a package! Woohoo! That is amazing! I am ready to book now! Thank you so much!
mkmomto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmomto2 View Post
Seriously? That is awesome! I did not know that at all! I knew that I might have to switch resorts or room types to apply a package, but I didn't know that the room only discount could be applied to a package! Woohoo! That is amazing! I am ready to book now! Thank you so much!
You're very welcome.....glad I could help . Yes.....a room discount can be used on a package reservation . Like I said, it's applied to the room portion only, but can be done. Good luck and I hope a good discount comes out for your dates .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.