Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #2581
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopner View Post

That sounds great.... based on this, I probably won't worry about which room. I don't always request anything in particular, but I was unsure about this type of room. I've looked at the maps and info about POR a little more and I feel more comfortable about the location.

Another question.... from either of those buildings, is it convenient to get to the East Depot or is the South Depot the best way to get on the bus? Also, which depot picks up first?

Thanks!!
I thought South was more convenient from Parterre and some of Oak closer to the bridge. Parking lot side of Oak and side near the other mansions seemed closer to East. We were in the center of Parterre and always used South.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #2582
Dittz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post
I am so excited...I just changed our reservation from POP to POR from Sept 23-Oct 7!! Yahoo! So excited! Preferred room for 14 nights, now hopefully FD comes out or we will have to shrink the nights there. Fingers crossed!
We'll be there the same time. Check in on the 27th and leave the 4th. We have a royal room booked for our little princess who is turning 5 during our trip.
2010 - Son's 5th Birthday trip to WDW - 1st time staying on site

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #2583
lolobug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dittz View Post
We'll be there the same time. Check in on the 27th and leave the 4th. We have a royal room booked for our little princess who is turning 5 during our trip.
We were booked at the WL for our 8 day trip but I convinced DH to do 4 nights in the "Tiana rooms" for our princess who is also turning 5 during our stay. Hope your little princess enjoys her stay and that it's extra magical for your family
Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #2584
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
I also appreciate your sense of humor.
Phew, sometimes my sense of humour gets me into trouble... It's a Transatlantic funny-bone incompatibility issue I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindap1 View Post
So we are adding a day to our trip so we can take our dd to Universal for the day. It says that transportation (for a fee) can be offered from a Disney resort. Does anyone...hint hint...know if it's available from POR? Also, can Universal and Islands of adventure both be done in the same day?
You can do Universal and Islands of Adventure on the same day, in the same way that you can do Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom in the same day - i.e. it's possible, but don't expect to do even half of the attractions.

Mears run a request bus service which costs about $18 per person round-trip - you book with them and arrange a pickup time, and then later a return time. If there are 3 or 4 people going though, getting taxis there and back might be cheaper and more convenient.

Quote:
Another question.... from either of those buildings, is it convenient to get to the East Depot or is the South Depot the best way to get on the bus? Also, which depot picks up first?
It's pretty much even to be honest, it rather depends on which side of the building you are located (nearer the parking lot or the river). The stopping order varies by park, I'd suggest the East Depot for the MK and South for the other parks, and on the return journey get off at whichever the bus gets to first. But there really isn't much in it from your location, see what works best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohBearFriends View Post
Not to be picky but for the preferred buildings is there a better one to request or room location to request?
14 is the closest to the main building, 18 is closest to the nearby quiet pool, 14 and 15 are closest for the parking lot and the South bus depot.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #2585
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

I have a King room reserved. Would it be appropriate to request a "preferred" building?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #2586
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I have a King room reserved. Would it be appropriate to request a "preferred" building?
Sure, King Bed rooms are located everywhere. You can ask for a specific preferred building, or a River View, etc. Not guaranteed of course, but it's a valid request.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #2587
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

One month until I am on the plane!!!!!! Hubby going back to work today hasn't been so bad when he knows this time next month we'll be on our way to POR!!

Happy new year everyone!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #2588
mollyseven
DIS Veteran

We have stayed twice and both times we requested and received Magnolia Terrace rooms.
We are going again and this time it's still 2 beds cause it's us and our son.
Are there any corner rooms with the double windows that have 2 beds or are they all king bed rooms.
I would like Magnolia Terrace again I think as it's right across from the bridge across to the main area and it's got the bus depot right behind it.
I would like a room facing the quiet pool but don't know the room numbers over there.
Any suggestions....
We have never stayed in the alligator bayou section is it worth it to look at building 18 possibly or is it busier over there?

May 2006 Pop Century.......January 2007 CBR.......January 2008....CBR No kids!!!!
March 2008 POR..10 days!!.....Christmas 2008 CSR grand gathering !!!
March 2010 POFQ Italy summer 2010 Universal Hard Rock Dec. 2010
Dolphin Resort April 2011 Star Wars Weekend May 2011
Christmas 2012 CBR Jan. 30/2014 Riverside!!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #2589
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Not all corner rooms are Kings. If you want a room facing the quiet pool, just request that. If you request a specific room number and it's not available, they're not going to know why you requested it, and therefore won't know what a suitable substitute would be.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #2590
Emilyswish
Mouseketeer

This ** close to booking for POR - August '14!!

Hi everyone, thanks for all of the great info on this thread!!

I am sooooo close to booking a trip for August 2014!

This will be our first trip back to Disney since our daughter's MAW trip in Dec 2010. Our other kids (and I) have been dying to come back since we left three years ago!!! In fact, we left Disney on this very day, 3 years ago.

Our daughter, Emily, will not be coming with us on this trip, for various reasons. For anyone who remembers us, or reads our old trip report, she is doing okay. But, even though Disney is the most accessible place we've ever taken her, it is still extremely difficult for her to handle, and limits what we can do with our other children. Please, no judging, it's been VERY difficult for us to decide to go without her. She will be staying at home with family members and her nurses.

Sooooooo, we are looking to stay at POR 8/25-8/30. Last time we came during Christmas break, so I'm hoping for lower crowds this time. And, it was actually cold while we were there in 2010 so we never even got to swim!! We stayed at GKTW, which was wonderful but I'm really super excited about staying on site as we have NEVER done it!!

Our party is me, my DH, our oldest son, 10, and our other two triplets (one boy, one girl), who will have just turned 7. DH and I will have just celebrated our 15th anniversary as well!

It's possible we will be able to come the first week in September and maybe get Free Dining?? (fingers crossed!!) Our school might have a delayed opening due to some construction but we can't be sure of that yet. If we get definite word on that, we will most likely change to the September dates.

Sorry if this is not the thread to tell our whole story, but I just got excited!!!!

If anyone has any specific tips for us, I'd appreciate it!

I do have one question, how do your younger ones like the resort? I feel like it will be relaxing and they will love the pool, slide, and the Murphy bed. But, otherwise, they might think it's not "Disney" enough? (Relaxing and calm is probably a plus for us because our triplet son is autistic and can get overstimulated)
I have looked at family suites at AoA because they'd give us more room, an extra bathroom, and be more "Disneyish", but the price at POR just keeps bringing me back.
Thoughts??

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #2591
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Sure, King Bed rooms are located everywhere. You can ask for a specific preferred building, or a River View, etc. Not guaranteed of course, but it's a valid request.

Andre
Thank you, Andre!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #2592
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyswish View Post

This will be our first trip back to Disney since our daughter's MAW trip in Dec 2010. Our other kids (and I) have been dying to come back since we left three years ago!!! In fact, we left Disney on this very day, 3 years ago.

Our daughter, Emily, will not be coming with us on this trip, for various reasons. For anyone who remembers us, or reads our old trip report, she is doing okay. But, even though Disney is the most accessible place we've ever taken her, it is still extremely difficult for her to handle, and limits what we can do with our other children. Please, no judging, it's been VERY difficult for us to decide to go without her. She will be staying at home with family members and her nurses.

Sooooooo, we are looking to stay at POR 8/25-8/30. Last time we came during Christmas break, so I'm hoping for lower crowds this time. And, it was actually cold while we were there in 2010 so we never even got to swim!! We stayed at GKTW, which was wonderful but I'm really super excited about staying on site as we have NEVER done it!!

Our party is me, my DH, our oldest son, 10, and our other two triplets (one boy, one girl), who will have just turned 7. DH and I will have just celebrated our 15th anniversary as well!

It's possible we will be able to come the first week in September and maybe get Free Dining?? (fingers crossed!!) Our school might have a delayed opening due to some construction but we can't be sure of that yet. If we get definite word on that, we will most likely change to the September dates.

Sorry if this is not the thread to tell our whole story, but I just got excited!!!!

I do have one question, how do your younger ones like the resort? I feel like it will be relaxing and they will love the pool, slide, and the Murphy bed. But, otherwise, they might think it's not "Disney" enough? (Relaxing and calm is probably a plus for us because our triplet son is autistic and can get overstimulated)
I have looked at family suites at AoA because they'd give us more room, an extra bathroom, and be more "Disneyish", but the price at POR just keeps bringing me back.
Thoughts??

Thanks!
No judging here, only hugs for what your family has gone through. How wonderful you are coming to disney again! We too are trying POR for the first time and have no doubt the kids will love it. I think it looks like the perfect mix of disney and relaxation. Good luck with your planning, there are lots of others who will give you more info but just wanted to wish you the best.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #2593
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

I totally agree with jennyjinx3 - lots of hugs from me too!

Our boys loved POR (they were 4 on our first trip) - I showed them the other resorts but they said if we ever go back they want to go back to POR (I can't wait to wake them up next month and surprise them with our trip!!)
I actually liked the fact that its not 'too Disney', it is nice to get a break from it but still find little things that remind you that you're still at Disney (does that make sense?!?)

Have an amazing trip and a very happy 2014 xx

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Old 01-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #2594
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyswish View Post

Thoughts??

Thanks!
Hi! We stayed at POR last spring and my son was almost 8 so right in between your kiddo's ages. And he LOVED it there! There is plenty for kids to do! A big playground~ roasting marshmallows, huge arcade for rainy days, fishing hole, pool games, movies outside, bike and boat rentals. The Cast members even played wii with the kiddos on rainy days in the lobby. The big water wheel outside the food court is neat and all the gears inside that move the wheel-my son loved that! We stayed in the bayou and he absolutely loved the room-it's well themed and all the pathways! And the pool and pool slide were so much fun-he especially liked the water features at the pool! I think you made a great choice.

Sounds as though you could all really use a Disney trip-hugs from me as well for all you are going through.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #2595
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran

Booked!

I'm so excited! I just booked our first stay at Port Orleans Riverside and got the 25% discount offered to Disney Visa cardholders! May 30-June 5!

1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 7 days, 6 nights, 1 great time at POR May 29-June 5, 2014 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3289594

Past trip reports:
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report, May 15-22, 2009 - 1500 pictures, dining reviews and DISmeets! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2187084
Pre-Trip Report for May, 2009 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1884986
First trip report with TONS of pics - May, 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841491
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: