Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Gillyrose779
Mouseketeer

If you are unsure I totally agree with a split stay- just make sure your disney resort is the second half bc you won't want to leave. I'm 100% for on site- def for the first week of dec- think of all the holiday decorations you will be missing out on!- plus, with all the holiday festivities going on, you really want to wrapped yourself in all the extra magic.
Gillyrose779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Worth it is very subjective and depends upon what 'it' is...

For some people it is worth it, for others it isn't!

My brother never liked staying onsite. i thought that once he tried it he would change his mind, but he didn't. he loved staying in a house with his own pool for way less money. he didn't like the disney bubble at all.

On the other hand, I have stayed outside as well as on site and I definitely prefer onsite. I would rather stay with 4 people in a room in the AS resort than have an entire house with a bedroom each off site. I love feeling immersed in the Disney atmosphere.

Now, if it is worth it? It is worth spending extra disposable income for lesser accommodations, IMO. It is not worth any financial hardship. staying off site is just fine if that is what a comfortable budget allows. We did it for many years and may be doing it again, if prices continue to rise.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
Princess Nancy
DIS Veteran

We recently went in early December. We stayed off site. I could not have paid the extra money to stay at disney in cramped quarters and been happy! We paid $15 a day to park, had diamond parking from AAA and had a great time.

I don't think we would have been happy in one hotel room sharing one bathroom, heck, trying to get all five of us up early and to the parks was a royal fight for 2 bathrooms in our spacious condo! Lol!!! Why the showers have clear glass is beyond me!!!!!

Anyway, early December will be slow in the parks, you won't need Emh.

People talk about disney transportation like it is the greatest thing, but if you are riding those buses, it is enough to put me over the edge!!!!
One night my dd and I decided to resort hop to check out the Christmas decorations. So fun!!
We waited 30 minutes for a bus from the beach club to MK. When the bus arrived we waited another 10 minutes for the wheelchair to load. Now, I know we could have taken the boat, but it was a bit nippy that night and we really didn't want to go that route. In the hour it took us to get to the contemporary, we could have driven!!!

If you are on a monorail resort, I believe the transportation situation is greatly improved!!!

Just some food for thought from someone who stays off site.
Princess Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
lemonears6
Mouseketeer

thank you all for the tips and help. the condo we would stay at is nice " 5 star* we get it that cheap because we have family that works for timeshare so we get there discount.

i LOVE anything and everything disney. i would love to stay at a disney hotel it would be a value resort for sure because we could not afford anything more. i just wanted to know because i did the math and if we got lucky and got the disney diinning plan free we would spend 800 more to stay in a disney hotel and and before i made the jump to spend 800 more i wanted to make sure it was worth it.

the split thing is a great idea too
lemonears6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #20
Runnergal
Mouseketeer

As a mom of 4 dc under 8, I say it is absolutely worth it. I know people rave about how great it is to have the space of a house or condo, but to me, the beauty of staying in a hotel room is nobody can ask me to cook or prepare anything for them. Nothing!! Also the logistics of getting up early to get everyone to the parks, then hauling exhausted kids back to the condo at the end of a long day. I am tired thinking about it. The kids will have fun no matter where you stay. The question is, do you want to enjoy the vacation too??
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #21
jhryb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonears6 View Post
thank you all for the tips and help. the condo we would stay at is nice " 5 star* we get it that cheap because we have family that works for timeshare so we get there discount.

i LOVE anything and everything disney. i would love to stay at a disney hotel it would be a value resort for sure because we could not afford anything more. i just wanted to know because i did the math and if we got lucky and got the disney diinning plan free we would spend 800 more to stay in a disney hotel and and before i made the jump to spend 800 more i wanted to make sure it was worth it.

the split thing is a great idea too
If you are going to be spending a large part of your vacation unpacking and the re-packing just to accommodate a split stay then I would probably go for your 5* off-site timeshare. There is nothing more magical than having a large family enjoying their time at WDW. If you are not staying on-site it is no biggie - at least you are sticking to your budget and you are able to relax without the stress of moving from one resort to another.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #22
Lyndarella
All my dreams are coming true

You said you spend entire days at the parks, so maybe you don't need Disney all around you when you are home in the dark.....

Having so many people in a hotel room is more stressful than in a condo. Also, the Disney Dining Plan is not always a $ saver. (Look at costs and do the math to see if it works for your family.) Feeding a large group with a real kitchen is one way to cut costs if you don't mind doing it.
95, 01 - DH, me, and kids, offsite
02 - bought a FL timeshare AND DVC!
02 - May offsite & VWL with DH, + Oct offsite & GF just girls
03 - May offsite & AKL with DH, + Sept BWV 2BR just girls
04 - May offsite & VWL with DH, my birthday!
07 - May offsite with DH
08 - September DH and me at Saratoga Springs
09 - October offsite & Bay Lake Tower, just girls
10 - April offsite with DH, + Oct AKV 2 BR just girls
12 & 13 - three trips on annual pass! BCV, SSR, VWL
14 - February first SOLO trip, OKW and ASMu
Lyndarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #23
lemonears6
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #24
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

It's totally worth it if you can afford it. If it stresses you out or your uncomfortable with the money your spending don't do it.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #25
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
No. But I also would be a little reluctant to stay in a place that was only 32.00 a night as well.

I think staying onsite is a must. If I wanted to save a little money I would do that before I arrived at Disney. Just putting an extra $200 aside every month really adds up.

With that said, if you really don't want to wait and save and you can't afford (or don't want to pay for) a deluxe room and your only option is a value, then yes, staying offsite makes more sense for your family.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #26
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

I would never stay off site. Part of loving Disney so much is the hotel experience. It is too magical not to stay onsite
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #27
abouley
Mouseketeer

We have stayed both off-site and on-site. If I can stay on-site in a deluxe resort that is on the monorail line and/or walking distance to the park (we have done Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge) then I love staying on-site. Also, when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge we had the dining plan and it was fabulous! We ate at restaurants we never would have paying out of pocket and it really enhanced our stay. Definitely the most magical trip ever!

However, when we stayed on-site in a moderate without a car, I hated it. I got tired of eating on-site all the time. Hated doing the transportation all the time with the kids (I had to stand for a very long bus ride holding my sleeping 19 month old one night and was miserable). I much preferred having a car even if it meant driving to our condo. Not to mention, I got tired of eating at Disney and when we stayed in the condo we could do a quick breakfast at the condo and then sometimes would grab lunch or dinner drive through or pizza or something like that on our way back to the condo. If I ever stayed at a value or moderate again, I'd also pay to stay close to the food court/front as there is a lot of extra walking involved!

I have done a few nights at the value resorts and the condos are so much nicer! Ours had a lazy river and very nice pool area. I found we toured a bit differently as I didn't like to do mid day breaks so we usually either did 3/4 days or we might have done a bit later start if we knew we wanted to do a night time show. Staying at the wilderness lodge was great for mid day breaks (we did a lot of evenings at MK) but if I had to bus back, I wouldn't do it. As my kids gets older it might not be as bad but when they were little it was a pain.

I guess my opinion is that I wouldn't give up the condo for a value resort (though the new animation resort might be ok) but I would give it up for a deluxe or maybe a moderate if I had free dining!

Just my experience....

Alison
abouley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #28
HereForMinnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouley View Post
I guess my opinion is that I wouldn't give up the condo for a value resort (though the new animation resort might be ok) but I would give it up for a deluxe or maybe a moderate if I had free dining!
Alison

I still wouldn't stay offsite but if I had to it would be because the alternative is a value or mod. Comfort > everything else.

Upcoming: Last minute trip July 2014-GF RPC
2011- Poly GV (1x) GF TPV (1x) GF RPC (1x)
2012- SSR (1x) AKV SV (2x)
2013- AKV (1x) WL (1x, never again) BC (1x)
HereForMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #29
d3boyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonears6 View Post
my hubby and i have taken our kids to disneyworld twice so far. we have never stayed at a disney hotel/resort. we have 4 kids, all are under 9 right now. I am thinking about our next trip and thinking we might go the first week of december 2014. is it worth it to spend the extra money staying at a disney hotel? we can get a condo for a week 10-15 min away from the parks for 230.00 and thats for 7 night. thats a little over 32.00 a night. if we stay at a disney value resort we would play 250-300 a night for a family of 6. thats allot more. we plan on being at the parks all day every day. is it worth it to spend that much more just to stay at a disney resort?
Have you thought of Disney Vacation Club? Staying at one of the resorts there could be a bonus for your family. I know our family wouldn't have it any other way ... we have lots of room, full kitchen and laundry, and Disney drives us all over on the property! THAT is a bonus for us.

Deb
d3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #30
Noerdax
Earning My Ears

Last trip we were staying off site for the first and last time.

Personally I find that paying the Extra $$$ is really worth it.

Since we fly in we use the Magical Express and we save on
-Car Rental
-Gas
-Parking
-Tolls

We don't have to wait and search for our suitcases. It take considerably less time on the first day to take the magical express with no worries than hunt down the suitcases, rent a car, Find the car, get out of the airport pay tolls, find the hotel, check in, be depressed at the drab room. Then Drive to Disney.

I found that by using a car it took considerably more time to get to the Hotel only 4 miles past the Disney gates, than it took to take the bus to a resort. I really don't like to drive tired and here I had no choices.

Personally the Disney immersion and the worry free is well worth the $$$

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: