Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #2011
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to pop in and wish all of my GF friends a Happy New Year .

I hope everyone has a fun and safe New Years Eve and a great New Years Day tomorrow .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #2012
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Just wanted to pop in and wish all of my GF friends a Happy New Year .

I hope everyone has a fun and safe New Years Eve and a great New Years Day tomorrow .
Same wish from me as well....

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #2013
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Happy New Year!!!!

Been so busy at work but now need to finish packing. I will try to get some different pics. Circusgirl did such a great job I will just try to get any sugarloaf and villa pics that i find.

We arrive just in time for desserts tomorrow night. Yippee! Desserts!!

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 Cr Atrium Club and GF RPC , poly CL 19 17
Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #2014
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

happy new year, everyone!

trishadono, have an amazing trip, i am looking very forward to your pics/ posts!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #2015
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

~HAPPY NEW YEAR!!~

Trisha Safe travels...have a great vacation!

mickeynut Here's to getting together again in 2014!

grannyminnie Glad that you have been able to spend more time with your mom and your family.. and that we have able to keep on chatting with each other...

k&a&c'smom Bet that you are still enjoying a full house! Wishing you and yours good health and happiness in 2014!

Tom We are just about right there with you! Cant wait!

arcticdisneylovers The time will fly!

pas What a special friend you are to remember and honor your dear friend...

Beth, Candy, MommyGina, PrincessMocha, mousemommy and all the rest of my fellow GF fans... Looking foward to a new year of chatting about our fave place!

Didnt catch up..of course.....and sort of skimmed...LOL...but I wanted to say Happy New Year to you all before the day got away from me...

Heres hoping that 2014 will be a year of peace on earth...and all good things!

Blue ~

Last edited by BlueSkies; 01-01-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #2016
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

BlueSkies, mickeynut, k&a&c'smom, grannyminnie, DisneyDmbNut, Candy Orlando, mousemommy1, bethclayton, mariamouse, trishadono, pas130, KonaKaiTom (hang on for the snowstorm), and all my friends on this thread, HAPPY NEW YEAR!@@

I hope that we can all have at least one trip to the GF this year. Have been keeping up, just not posting. All is well in Connecticut, at least for now. Very cold weather and snow coming. Would love to be by the pool at the GF now! Candy Orlando, I loved reading your trip report. How grand it is to be going back so soon!

For Sarah, she is missed, but not forgotten. Circusgirl, thank you for the beautiful pictures. Can never get enough of the Grand!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #2017
grannyminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
~HAPPY NEW YEAR!!~

Trisha Safe travels...have a great vacation!

mickeynut Here's to getting together again in 2014!

grannyminnie Glad that you have been able to spend more time with your mom and your family.. and that we have able to keep on chatting with each other...

k&a&c'smom Bet that you are still enjoying a full house! Wishing you and yours good health and happiness in 2014!

Tom We are just about right there with you! Cant wait!

arcticdisneylovers The time will fly!

pas What a special friend you are to remember and honor your dear friend...

Beth, Candy, MommyGina, PrincessMocha, mousemommy and all the rest of my fellow GF fans... Looking foward to a new year of chatting about our fave place!

Didnt catch up..of course.....and sort of skimmed...LOL...but I wanted to say Happy New Year to you all before the day got away from me...

Heres hoping that 2014 will be a year of peace on earth...and all good things!

Blue ~
Hi Blue... I know you have been enjoying your family these last few days. I appreciate your wish for 2014....peace on earth...cliche but dearly needed.

Trishadono, are you going to check in?

Those of you bracing for more bad weather...hang on, and dream of the GF!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #2018
bonjovi
Mouseketeer

Hello Everyone. I am totally new to this thread and you are all so kind and friendly with one another.

My family's disney story is this: we took our first trip, with our older two kids in 2010, when they were 4.5 and 3 years old. I had a great pin and we had a 1BR at the boardwalk. we loved it. One year later, we had twins and our life got so busy. We felt badly for the older two kids because of all the new changes, so when the twins turned 1, we left them for a week at Grandmom's, while we took the older two on a surprise trip and stayed at the Poly for the first time. OMG, we loved it. Last year, my husband surprised me by wanting to go back with the older two children and we stayed at the poly again. All of us love it there.

Well, this year, it's time to take the twins (just before they turn3). We are going 2/24-3/4 2014. We booked the room offer but the poly was not available. Initially, I booked the beach club because the price was pretty good but we really want the monorail for 4 kids and young twins that will need naps each day. we still wanted the poly but with all the construction and monorail outage, I am hesitating even wanting to go back.

Just before midnight last night, and before the offers expired, I snagged a room at the GF. I'm happy to be on the monorail again but I had a few questions:

for midday naps, how will I get back from MK or EP to the GF with no monorail?

is there a walkway between the GF to the MK or between the GF to the Poly?

should I still consider going back to the poly? (when we stay there, we either take the monorail to MK or walk to the TTC and go directly to epcot-will I miss that feature at the GF?)

I'm just so torn. the poly has room at the club level and that would be a huge splurge for us. I'd hate to to club level for the first, and only time, at a place that is under construction with limited access to monorail-scared I will regret it.....

just not sure what to do.....
Old 01-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #2019
michlyn
Earning My Ears

Hi! I'm a newbie planning my first trip to GF with my family this August. I heard that GF has some room rehabs starting this month? What exactly does that mean? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #2020
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlyn View Post
Hi! I'm a newbie planning my first trip to GF with my family this August. I heard that GF has some room rehabs starting this month? What exactly does that mean? Thanks!
A building by building rehab that is supposed to be completed by the summer, at least that's what one CM manager told us last month.

When the main building is under rehab, the first two floors (which have no guest rooms) and their respective enterprises (restaurants and stores) will remain open.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #2021
michlyn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
A building by building rehab that is supposed to be completed by the summer, at least that's what one CM manager told us last month. When the main building is under rehab, the first two floors (which have no guest rooms) and their respective enterprises (restaurants and stores) will remain open. All the best.
Thank you! Does a rehab involve construction? Or more cosmetic changes? I haven't heard of construction at the gf which is why we booked it over the poly,
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #2022
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlyn View Post
Thank you! Does a rehab involve construction? Or more cosmetic changes? I haven't heard of construction at the gf which is why we booked it over the poly,
Cosmetic: new wallpaper, drapes, painting, accessories. Following somewhat in the footsteps of the GFR VC.

Poly, of course, is transforming with its new VC building. Lots of construction.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #2023
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
BlueSkies, mickeynut, k&a&c'smom, grannyminnie, DisneyDmbNut, Candy Orlando, mousemommy1, bethclayton, mariamouse, trishadono, pas130, KonaKaiTom (hang on for the snowstorm), and all my friends on this thread, HAPPY NEW YEAR!@@ I hope that we can all have at least one trip to the GF this year. Have been keeping up, just not posting. All is well in Connecticut, at least for now. Very cold weather and snow coming. Would love to be by the pool at the GF now! Candy Orlando, I loved reading your trip report. How grand it is to be going back so soon! For Sarah, she is missed, but not forgotten. Circusgirl, thank you for the beautiful pictures. Can never get enough of the Grand!
Thank you so much, MommyGina, and a very happy 2014 to you as well! Here's hoping that it will include the GF visit that you are dreaming about! We are lucky enough to be kicking off the new year with a stay at the GF in just 15 days!! So looking forward to being back again. And of course I will be right there with you shoveling in CT when the snow arrives! As long as it doesn't snow the day we need to fly down to Florida, I'm happy! And, just like you, I am always lurking here, but just do not get around to posting as frequently as I would like to (as evidenced by my weak post count after 13 years of being a DISer.. ha). So nice to see you on here, though, and I truly do hope that I am reading about your next GF stay soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi View Post
Hello Everyone. I am totally new to this thread and you are all so kind and friendly with one another. My family's disney story is this: we took our first trip, with our older two kids in 2010, when they were 4.5 and 3 years old. I had a great pin and we had a 1BR at the boardwalk. we loved it. One year later, we had twins and our life got so busy. We felt badly for the older two kids because of all the new changes, so when the twins turned 1, we left them for a week at Grandmom's, while we took the older two on a surprise trip and stayed at the Poly for the first time. OMG, we loved it. Last year, my husband surprised me by wanting to go back with the older two children and we stayed at the poly again. All of us love it there. Well, this year, it's time to take the twins (just before they turn3). We are going 2/24-3/4 2014. We booked the room offer but the poly was not available. Initially, I booked the beach club because the price was pretty good but we really want the monorail for 4 kids and young twins that will need naps each day. we still wanted the poly but with all the construction and monorail outage, I am hesitating even wanting to go back. Just before midnight last night, and before the offers expired, I snagged a room at the GF. I'm happy to be on the monorail again but I had a few questions: for midday naps, how will I get back from MK or EP to the GF with no monorail? is there a walkway between the GF to the MK or between the GF to the Poly? should I still consider going back to the poly? (when we stay there, we either take the monorail to MK or walk to the TTC and go directly to epcot-will I miss that feature at the GF?) I'm just so torn. the poly has room at the club level and that would be a huge splurge for us. I'd hate to to club level for the first, and only time, at a place that is under construction with limited access to monorail-scared I will regret it..... just not sure what to do.....
This GF FAQ truly is one of the friendliest on the DIS (if not the most)! As for your indecision, I would advise giving the GF a try this time around! We absolutely love the Poly as well, but have increasingly grown to love the GF just as much in recent years. I think the Poly construction gives you a nice opportunity to try something new- plus, the Poly is connected by walkway to the GF (10-15 min walk depending on pace), so you can easily visit the Poly if you miss it! Note that, like the Poly, there is no walkway between the GF and MK. You will probably miss the quick access to the TTC from the Poly a little bit since that definitely is a perk, but it's still easy enough to get to the TTC from the GF via express monorail. With regard to not having the monorail in the middle of the day, you can just boat back to the GF from MK (first stop), which we enjoy just as much as taking the monorail back (and often faster). I assume that Disney will just provide buses to return to the GF from EPCOT mid-day (same for Poly). Personally, I wouldn't splurge for Poly CL at this point given that the view from the CL lounge is largely construction. The GF is a truly gorgeous resort and, if you don't love it, you can always return to the Poly post-construction! Hope this helps.

Quote:
A building by building rehab that is supposed to be completed by the summer, at least that's what one CM manager told us last month. When the main building is under rehab, the first two floors (which have no guest rooms) and their respective enterprises (restaurants and stores) will remain open. All the best.
Do we have any clue yet which building will start rehab first? I remember Tikiman having a full Poly building-by-building rehab schedule, but maybe the GF isn't that far along yet.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #2024
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamouse View Post

Do we have any clue yet which building will start rehab first? I remember Tikiman having a full Poly building-by-building rehab schedule, but maybe the GF isn't that far along yet.
We are sure there is a schedule at the GFR, but we were not privy to it. In any event, according to a trusted source, an entire GFR building will be closed at a time, not a floor-by-floor rehab in which other floors are kept open.

All the best.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #2025
mariamouse
Believes in the magic!!
Should know the difference between the Tag Fairy and Tinkerbell!!! ;)

Quote:
We are sure there is a schedule at the GFR, but we were not privy to it. In any event, according to a trusted source, an entire GFR building will be closed at a time, not a floor-by-floor rehab in which other floors are kept open. All the best.
Thank you! Good to know that we will not have to worry about any noise in our building.
GF GV- January 2014, BCV- January 2013, GF LV- December 2011, AKL PV & GF GV- February 2007, BWI WV CL- February 2006, AKL SV- February 2005, Polynesian GV- February 2004, WL WV & Polynesian GV- November 2002, BC GV- February 2002, CR GV- February 2001, POFQ- February 1996, CBR- February 1994
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: