Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

He SAID no, but I FOUND a way to GO! ~ a Dec AKL/WWoHP PTR (Updated: 10/18)

Hi! Welcome to my PTR that is a bit unique in its making as we don't have a date, nor do we even know if we are going! Why? Well, because DH is stubborn and refusing to cooperate when I suggest another Disney vacation. But... I have other plans in mind.

I have casually mentioned to DH how fun it would be to take a ROAD TRIP that conveniently lands us in Orlando and a few days in WDW. "convenient". Now my frugal DH thought it sounded like an interesting idea, but immediately combatted the cost of yet another Disney vacation. It will take some crafty budgeting and heavy persuasion, but I'm hoping to push him hard enough so this dream becomes a reality!

So, let's introduce the two of us:

Me: I'm Meagan, or Lifer on the DIS. I've been to WDW a dozen times and have such a passion for going here even if I'm "too old" or "go there all of the time"! I don't care! By day I am an English teacher for an online charter high school (hence why this vacation can be pretty easy if I have access to internet). By night I'm an avid Disney fanatic in love with princesses and Tink!

DH: Not a big Disney fanatic, but a foodie by nature. He enjoys our vacations, but hates spending money and claims to be "disney-ed out". We have been married for almost 4 years and you better believe he's going to need numbers to allow this trip!

The loose idea
The idea if my brain is to take a road trip from Minneapolis, MN to Orlando, FL. Obviously this is a 24 hour drive and would be spread out over a few days. I would like to make pit stops and focus on only doing 8-10 hours of driving in a day maximum. The idea for length of time is 2 weeks vacation with stops at Disney World and Universal Studios. I'm thinking November - December, or whatever works best with my school year schedule and crowds!

Update of plans as of May 2014
What a journey it has been from this initial post until today! To give a general recap (for those who are not anxious to read the entire story) we did find a budget in my acceptance of a summer teaching position. DH and I initially hoped for free dining, but were unfortunate with the dates we selected, however we did decide to forgo the DDP and pay out of pocket to save more money. The best news is that we have decided to fly for cheap and stay at AKL for our very first deluxe trip!

... Thank you. And I hope you'll join us!

Jan 2009: Pop Engagement Celebration
May 2010: CBR Wedding Trip
September 2011: A POPtastic Anniversary Pre-Trip Report Trip Report
January 2013: A Winter Getaway PreTrip Report Trip Report
He says no, but I'll find a way to go! ~ A December PTR in the making

Last edited by DisneyLifer87; 10-18-2014 at 11:08 PM.
DisneyLifer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents (All real life RL updates are noted)

01 - He said YES - the trip begins
02 - The Resort Debate
03 - RL Update - Car Drama
04 - Magic Band Colors... for now
05 - Tentative Plan (The Early Stages)
06 - Booking Flights!
07 - Adding MVMCP
08 - Resort Debate - SOLVED
09 - ADR Day
10 - Park Day Planning (The Early Stages)
11 - Becoming a Wizard and Making a List!
12 - Getting a Little Creative
13 - Starting the 9 week journey!
14 - Week One Recap
15 - Week Two Recap
16 - Week Three Recap
17 - Week Four Recap

- Finalized plans! -
01 - Day One: Traveling and Epcot CP
02 - Day Two: MK and MVMCP
03 - Day Three: AK and DtD with Cirque du Solei
04 - Day Four: Visiting the Dark Side

Last edited by DisneyLifer87; 10-27-2014 at 01:21 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Suziannie
Mouseketeer

Subbing!! I have a similar plan but Shhhh don't tell my hubby that I'm planning on a 2 day "Detour" when we head to Pensacola this summer .

That is IF I can get the numbers to work-so I'm looking forward to seeing some inspiration here

Completed Christmas Trip Report: December 2013

Resorts I've stayed at so far:
Caribbean Beach 2007/2008 Christmas & New Year's Eve
All Star Movies 2008 Food & Wine, 2011 Honeymoon, 2013 Christmas trip
Art of Animation 2013
Shades of Green 2013

Upcoming: Shades of Green December 2014!!!
Suziannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
stasijane
Crazed one

This trip report sounds like a great idea and dont worry about the Hubby too much. Just keep saving and keep up with the positive attitue and I bet he comes around. Maybe you can sneak in a few things that he likes along the trip that might help him change his mind
Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suziannie View Post
Subbing!! I have a similar plan but Shhhh don't tell my hubby that I'm planning on a 2 day "Detour" when we head to Pensacola this summer .

That is IF I can get the numbers to work-so I'm looking forward to seeing some inspiration here
I'll be glad to inspire and hopefully gain some inspiration in return!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasijane View Post
This trip report sounds like a great idea and dont worry about the Hubby too much. Just keep saving and keep up with the positive attitue and I bet he comes around. Maybe you can sneak in a few things that he likes along the trip that might help him change his mind
Oh, he wants to go he just doesn't know it yet

Welcome along to both of you!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Glad to have you with!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Progress! We have progress!

I was cruising around the DIS Boards late last night as DH and I were sitting down to watch a Disney movie (Brave) as is our weekly ritual together. DH usually rolls his eyes when I cruise the boards because he knows that it means I'm in planning mode - a mode he'd rather avoid. However, after his usually grumbling, I said to him, "You know, I really want to see the castle Christmas lights someday. That's like, my goal." DH turned to me a said we would need to do that someday assuming we continued our goal of being debt free. I thought that was a minor win and decided not to pursue the topic any further.
As I kept mentioning fun things to do during the holidays at Disney, DH had his interest peaked slightly. I even got him to watch a clip of the Osborne Family lights at DHS.
While we may still be in the "not this year" response from DH, he did add a "..but maybe next year" this time around. PROGRESS!

On the budgeting side of things, there has been very little movement, but it's only the 4th so I do not expect miracles. I will look for some awesome coupon deals with the ads tomorrow!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

I am here! You title caught me right away! I can totally relate. DH says no, and then I slowly chip away at him until there is only a shell left. Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
ladytink75
Mouseketeer

I'm totally going to sub to this.. Right now I'm trying to plan a high school graduation/ birthday trip for my daughter just the two of us. At times my spouse says okay you can go and then other times he says no you can't go. So I got my work cut out.

I enjoy reading about how people are trying to find ways to save for their trip and don't worry I have a stock pile of items myself so talk coupons and stock piles all you want.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
I am here! You title caught me right away! I can totally relate. DH says no, and then I slowly chip away at him until there is only a shell left. Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out!
I love it! I should feel devious to underhand him and beat him into submission .... but then I just remember that it's for the love of Disney and he'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytink75 View Post
I'm totally going to sub to this.. Right now I'm trying to plan a high school graduation/ birthday trip for my daughter just the two of us. At times my spouse says okay you can go and then other times he says no you can't go. So I got my work cut out.

I enjoy reading about how people are trying to find ways to save for their trip and don't worry I have a stock pile of items myself so talk coupons and stock piles all you want.
Welcome aboard! I'm actually going to add to my slowly growing stock today because Target has some fantastic GC deals this week (in addition to 90% Holiday clearance)! Glad to have you!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #12
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Target Deals and Building my Stockpile

Hello there! I've been working on building my stockpile today because finances are very tight with DH's short in hours these last few weeks.

I did make an awesome 30% savings at Target today taking advantage of some dishwasher tabs, dish soap, and paper towel stocking up! They have some triple stacks with Cartwheel going on, so that was a nice shopping trip.

On the Disney side, I'm still working on DH but with the financial stress I have kept it pretty minimal. I also jumped on a DIS board coupon train and I'm so excited!!!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
ladytink75
Mouseketeer

I think I might have to check my Target Cartwheel and see if I can find any goodies that I might have missed. With all the family that I had over for the holidays they wiped me out so I need to add the things I've used all up..

I'm also a member of that coupon train that you just joined.. I've been on it for about two yrs already and I like it everyone on there is very friendly.

Talking about money being tight we are the same way money is tight for our family. We own a house in WA State that we are still paying on and then my husband and my youngest daughter live in a different city then me and my oldest daughter so we have to pay his rent for him and then we have to pay my rent for my place so money is tight and every penny counts.

I just hope that I don't have to cancel mine and my daughters trip to DW in March due to finances
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
DisneyLifer87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytink75 View Post
I think I might have to check my Target Cartwheel and see if I can find any goodies that I might have missed. With all the family that I had over for the holidays they wiped me out so I need to add the things I've used all up..

I'm also a member of that coupon train that you just joined.. I've been on it for about two yrs already and I like it everyone on there is very friendly.

Talking about money being tight we are the same way money is tight for our family. We own a house in WA State that we are still paying on and then my husband and my youngest daughter live in a different city then me and my oldest daughter so we have to pay his rent for him and then we have to pay my rent for my place so money is tight and every penny counts.

I just hope that I don't have to cancel mine and my daughters trip to DW in March due to finances
Crossing my fingers for you!!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
twinsouvenirs
Mother of Dragons :)

Ask for Disney Gift Cards for all gift giving occasions

Display Modes Rate This Thread