Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
lkool
Earning My Ears

Average savings from disney dining plan

On average when paying full price for the disney dining plan how much does money does it save? We used it last time and liked it for ease of use and budget but its hard to say how much we actually saved, I should have tracked it wen we were there.

Anyways I am wondering if the savings are more than 10% because on our next visit I am thinking it might make more sense to take advantage of the 10% off of dining that I get from the disney premiere card.

Thoughts?
lkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
KaLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkool View Post
On average when paying full price for the disney dining plan how much does money does it save? We used it last time and liked it for ease of use and budget but its hard to say how much we actually saved, I should have tracked it wen we were there. Anyways I am wondering if the savings are more than 10% because on our next visit I am thinking it might make more sense to take advantage of the 10% off of dining that I get from the disney premiere card. Thoughts?
I took hours to figure this out. I went over menus and prices and figured out average meals for our family of 4 on our 6 night trip. We are saving $220 by using the DDP compared to paying OOP.

But of course each family is different and results will vary.

Me28 DH30 DD6.5 DD3.5
Past Trips:
April 27-28, 2009: All Star Music Resort - Country Western Area
This was our quick-take-a-Disney-vacation-to-get-a-feel-of-what-it's-like-before-we-have-kids-to-drag-along trip.
Planning in Progress:
May 4-10, 2014: Coronado Springs Resort
This is our the-kids-are-only-little-for-so-long-so-lets-make-this-as-magical-and-as-awesome-as-possible trip.
KaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
sbrost13
Mouseketeer

I'm wondering the same thing about the benefit of the Dining plan. We're going in April, family of 4, staying 6 nights (but only 5 days at parks). So far we've got reservations for Biergarten lunch, Chef Mickey's dinner, Ohana dinner, Be Our Guest dinner, and lunch at Sci Fi Dine I Theater. I'm leaning towards not getting the dining plan. I'm open to advice. Thanks.

Sarah (Mom)
Rob (DH) , Suzy (DD)
& Trey (DS)
July 1998 - Honeymoon at Beach Club
July 2000 - Coronado Springs
June 2009 - All Star Movies
July 2012 - All Star Movies
April 2014 - Art of Animation
sbrost13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
lkool
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrost13 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing about the benefit of the Dining plan. We're going in April, family of 4, staying 6 nights (but only 5 days at parks). So far we've got reservations for Biergarten lunch, Chef Mickey's dinner, Ohana dinner, Be Our Guest dinner, and lunch at Sci Fi Dine I Theater. I'm leaning towards not getting the dining plan. I'm open to advice. Thanks.
Well I don't think you can get a dining plan for less days than you are staying at resort, but check on that, because that would factor into your decision.

I love the plan, and would not vacation without it, unless I could save substantial money. If you have a disney premiere visa you get 10% off dining, but It's hard to say if that is a better deal than the plan.

The plan miakes life way easier, because you standing in a quick service line or sitting at a table looking at a menu with hungry kids and a hungry wife while your trying to determine what meals you can order and still stay within you budget. Also, it's paid for before you even get on the airplane so you don't need to think about it at all.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

It all depends on how you want to eat. If everyone in your party wants their own dessert at every meal and everyone drinks soda/coffee/tea, then you can save on the DDP. How much still depends on what you order.

For a rough breakdown, the TS credit is worth $37.50, the QS $17.50, and the snack $4. This doesn't take into account the free refillable mug as that needs more math than I can do. I see that as a free souvenir as we find it difficult to use it while there since we eat most of our meals in the parks.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
BrokeMack
Mouseketeer

We paid out of pocket in Sept, eating how we wanted. In retrospect we would have shared more meals. Unless you are really big eaters, or have several kids, the dining plan doesn't work out. At 18 bucks per kid it's great if you have 2.5 kids per adult. In my house with 2 adults and one kid and pretty light eaters, there's just no way it makes sense.
BrokeMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
summermac
DIS Veteran

You also have to add in the fact that your tip increases when you add on dessert/drinks for each person if you don't normally eat like that. (We don't.)

DDP does not save us money.

By the way, what's this 10% off with the Disney Premiere Visa thing?
Jun 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2001 - offsite
May 1998 - All Star Music
summermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
lkool
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by summermac View Post
You also have to add in the fact that your tip increases when you add on dessert/drinks for each person if you don't normally eat like that. (We don't.)

DDP does not save us money.

By the way, what's this 10% off with the Disney Premiere Visa thing?
It's the Disney Premiere Card from chase. It's helpful at the parks because you get 10% off on most merchandise and special character greetings. You also get 10% off dining at some restaurants.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #9
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I was looking into the Dining Plan but will probably skip it. Seems like you can easily lose money. I really don't understand why they include a dessert for everyone in the group at lunch and dinner. That is 8 desserts for our family of 4 per day. Does Disney really want us to gain weight? That is way too much food in my opinion.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
supergoofy
Mouseketeer

It would cost me more money if I did it.

My issue is kids that eat like kids but Disney thinks they are adults.

Plus I don't need soda and dessert every meal.

And several places I want to go are not on the plan.
supergoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

DDP costs more for us than OOP since there is no plan that fits the way that we eat.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLyn View Post
I took hours to figure this out. I went over menus and prices and figured out average meals for our family of 4 on our 6 night trip. We are saving $220 by using the DDP compared to paying OOP.

But of course each family is different and results will vary.
That is about what we saved when we were there on the DDP. For me, moreso than the cost it was knowning that everyone could order what they wanted and I wouldn't "worry" about the cost.

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 weekend Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
summermac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkool View Post
It's the Disney Premiere Card from chase. It's helpful at the parks because you get 10% off on most merchandise and special character greetings. You also get 10% off dining at some restaurants.
I have the card. Can you tell me what restaurants participate?
Jun 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2001 - offsite
May 1998 - All Star Music
summermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
loveDisneyinTN
Earning My Ears

I agree that it is different for each family and their eating styles. For us it is a savings if only for the fact of he ease of use. I love the convenience of it and already having it paid for when I arrive.

Disney Trips-as a baby in 1982, Feb 1999 CBR, Sept. 2007 OFFSITE, April 2011 POP, April 2012 ALL STAR SPORTS, January 2013 ALL STAR SPORTS, September 2013 All Star Movies, March 2014 CBR

loveDisneyinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #15
sbrown29
Earning My Ears

I'm so on the fence about the dining plan. I agree, I know we wouldn't get a dessert with every meal if we are paying OOP. I've tried plugging in numbers and it is just taking me forever! Right now, I'm thinking it might be better to just pay OOP.

Tags
disney dining, premiere card

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: