Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #331
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Mele Kalikimaka!

Wishing all the Poly lovers a Magical Christmas and a joyous holiday season!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #332
Missus Toad
Amazing! She actually stays awake during the Hall of Presidents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
From everything I've seen it's supposed to be a long term closure, i.e. for the better part of a year (complete re-theming, addition of a kids' splash area, etc). So if it goes down in May it would be doubtful it would be open again by August, providing the scope of the project doesn't change, which with Disney is always a possibility ... Keep in mind though there is always the quiet pool and if the main pool is closed they will provide a boat launch over to the GF so you can use their pool.
Thank you! I think I might make alternate plans this year, though it breaks my heart to do so. My kids are complete theme pool rats, and would miss their volcano slide terribly. Can't help longing for my Poly though.

Most recent 8/21/13-8/31/13 at GF and Poly.

Missus Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #333
sugarbobbin
Mouseketeer

I want to stay in a monorail resort, my mom has MS and I'm trying to get somewhere close and easy to the parks for her. I'm not 100% in love with Grand Floridian, it doesn't exactly thrill me, but Poly looks like an experience in itself. I think it will be a good fit for us.

I have a few questions I hope you guys can help us with.

How comfy are the beds? My mom and I recently went on vacation and the beds were hard as rocks and made it difficult to sleep. We like really soft beds.

What is the best building to stay at for easy transport to other parks? Should we stay closer to the monorail or the TTC?

My mom will probably explore the parks in the morning and head back around 2 or 3 for the rest of the day. What are some things we can do at the hotel without going back out to the park?

Any other tips would be appreciative!
sugarbobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #334
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbobbin View Post
I want to stay in a monorail resort, my mom has MS and I'm trying to get somewhere close and easy to the parks for her. I'm not 100% in love with Grand Floridian, it doesn't exactly thrill me, but Poly looks like an experience in itself. I think it will be a good fit for us.

How comfy are the beds? My mom and I recently went on vacation and the beds were hard as rocks and made it difficult to sleep. We like really soft beds.

What is the best building to stay at for easy transport to other parks? Should we stay closer to the monorail or the TTC?

My mom will probably explore the parks in the morning and head back around 2 or 3 for the rest of the day. What are some things we can do at the hotel without going back out to the park?

I took my mom for 5 nights earlier this month. She is an active 74 year old, but there were times we did stuff at the resort. We really enjoyed watching the Electrical Water Pageant on the beach at night; we were able to see the fireworks from the beach as well. During the afternoon, we would sun ourselves on the beach and read, etc. We also enjoyed just walking around the resort and exploring. She didn't want to do any of the watercraft things, but I've done the little watermouse with my daughter before and that is fun. They rent them at the marina. The luau at night can be fun, too. We also rode the monorail around to check out GF and Contemporary.

We typically would go to a park in the morning, take a mid-day break, and then go to a park at night, too.

We were in Samoa and found it to be very nicely located. We did walk to the TTC a couple of times, but that might be too much for your mom. You can take the monorail or boat to MK; walk to TTC or take a long monorail ride to TTC and then switch to the Epcot monorail to get to Epcot; transportation to the other parks is by bus. The bus stop was not too far from our building. Take a look at the resort map to get your bearings.

Enjoy your trip.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #335
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbobbin View Post

We have always found the beds to be very comfortable. I always sleep like a baby at Disney, probably from pure exhaustion too, lol! We have not been there yet since the latest refurb, though, so not sure if they changed out all the mattresses.

We find Tokelau to be a perfect "in between" building - not too far to the GCH for the monorail to MK (or restaurants, pool, shops, etc) and not too far from the TTC. Also not too far from the bus stop if you're going to use the buses. If your mom can manage it, the walk to/from the TTC is beautiful, especially at night. Makes going to Epcot even more enjoyable!

The Poly has such a relaxing vibe, I think you'll enjoy hanging out there each day. The pools are great, the volcano pool has a bench area with bubbles that I find relaxing. Watching the fireworks and EWP from the beach is so convenient. The landscape is just gorgeous, I love taking photos and just walking around.

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

sandym718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #336
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post

Wishing all the Poly lovers a Magical Christmas and a joyous holiday season!
Merry Christmas!!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #337
Pirate Mickey mom
Earning My Ears

Two weeks until our stay! I am getting so excited! I hope our kids freak out when we tell them we are going to WDW and staying at the Poly the day we leave!

1998 offsite, Jan 2010 CB, Nov 2010 POR, Mar 2011 Swan, Jan 2012 AKL Kidani Village/Disney Dream/CB, Jan 2013 Poly/Disney Fantasy, Jan 2014 Poly, January 2015 POR/Disney Dream
Pirate Mickey mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #338
Mainemama
Mouseketeer

Woo-hoo, checking in at Poly in 50 days! This will be our 3rd trip, and was a Christmas surprise from DH. How he managed to keep mum for the last 2 months while I researched alternative resorts, because the RO discount was booked by the time I looked, I have no idea! I forgive him for my wasted hours, thou, since it is back to the Poly! Even better, we were going to drive to Tampa to fly out for a cheaper flight, but have last minute found a return flight from Orlando. A day later. And the one night was open for RO at the Poly! He asked if it would be okay if we spent 1 more day at Disney. Um, YES! So, this will be our first try linking two reservations. Already have had some tech issues on that, and hope we will get one consequetive room. Funnily, when I booked the additional night, CM "October" said, "I don't know if you have heard that the Poly is under going renovations.". Gee, really? I don't care!!!! (no pool closure for us, phew!)
Mainemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #339
DemonLlama
Ultimate WPASADI Co-Winner
I Miss WDW!
Needs to catch up to Dan Murphy's post count
The Lizard Queen
Magnificent Creativear

Doing the online check-in through MDE for our single night stay at the Poly, Theme Park view, and I discovered the section where I can request a specific building.

Looking at the map -- I chose Tahiti. I don't care about being in closer to the rest of the resort or walking distances, since it's only one night (our last of the trip that starts THIS Wednesday!) and just really want an awesome view of the castle across the lagoon.

Was this the best choice of longhouse for that?

TIA!
DemonLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #340
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure, because of the construction if Tahiti is even open . Maybe Tikiman or some who has just been there will see your post and know.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #341
stellablue96
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonLlama View Post
Doing the online check-in through MDE for our single night stay at the Poly, Theme Park view, and I discovered the section where I can request a specific building.

Looking at the map -- I chose Tahiti. I don't care about being in closer to the rest of the resort or walking distances, since it's only one night (our last of the trip that starts THIS Wednesday!) and just really want an awesome view of the castle across the lagoon.

Was this the best choice of longhouse for that?

TIA!
I also think that tahiti is one of the longhouses that has not yet been renovated yet.

stellablue96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #342
yallli
Earning My Ears

Looking for a recommendation for a longhouse . Arriving 2/25 for three nights. Staying with my mom and my two older sons (9&6). I definitely want an updated room. But it also needs to be quiet during the day in case my 6 year old wants to nap mid-day. Suggestions ??
yallli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 AM   #343
aml3679
Kita's Mom

We were there in December just to visit and love the look and feel. The You Tube videos does not give it justice. We are hoping to stay here when we visit next time.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #344
jandkmom
Mouseketeer

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I just heard that the monorail won't be running on the weekdays from 11:30-7 while we're at the Poly. This is especially disappointing because we have a chronically ill daughter who needs to return to the hotel to rest at different points during the day and the monorail was always a quick, easy way to return to the Poly. What is the best option for transport to and from MK with a wheelchair and a stroller?

With this news on top of the construction, changes in the Guest Assistance Card policy and the 3pm parade being cancelled, our trip is starting to look very different than we imagined. Try to roll with the changes though!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #345
rymahoney
Mouseketeer

Does anyone fax there room request along with have them add them to ur reservation. If so what's fax number? Thanks guys.
rymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: