Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #211
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Yum! I just got home myself after a long weekend with the family in KC. So happy to get back to Denver to warm up! I was treated to an ice storm while I was there....another reason I'm glad I live in Colorado now! Jill in CO
Glad you had a fun weekend with the family. Ice storms are the worst and scariest winter weather in my opinion. It snowed 3 days here while we were gone. Can't say I'm even remotely upset to have missed it.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #212
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I am finally all caught up and your trip has already been and gone All the last minute plans sounded amazing and I hope that you had a wonderful time. Corinna
This was a whirlwind trip and haven't started the report part other than a few tidbits yet. So happy you're here.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #213
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Nice to see and hear that you were able to get one of the handmade Candy Canes during your trip.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 12-24-2013 at 12:29 AM.
mvf-m11c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #214
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Nice to see and hear that you were able to get one of the handmade Candy Canes during your trip.

What made it even more special was that I didn't have to plan or fret or stress over it. A rarity for me.

I will officially begin this post report tomorrow. Thanks to all who are still reading. It's been a circus at my house and having to go back to work yesterday isn't helping. Reality bites.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #215
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

No rush, Jenny. 3D life is more important. Hope it settles down for you.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #216
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
No rush, Jenny. 3D life is more important. Hope it settles down for you.

Thanks. I'm uploading pics to the computer right now. Once all these kids go home, I'll start writing. I need to follow suit and begin the writing on the way home. I had 10 hours in the car, silly me for not taking advantage of the time.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #217
rentayenta

Hey howdy hey, for reading along. It's time to get this wagon train a movin'. No clue about the Toy Story quotes. FYI, all photos in this update were taken with my phone. I didn't want to deal with the big camera on the drive.

As previously noted this report will cover our quickie 5 night trip to So Cal, with the majority of the focus on our Disney days. We had planned one day at DCA with a stay at the GCV the same night and one day at Disneyland with that night's stay being at the Disneyland Hotel. We would not be taking advantage of MM/EMH and purposefully chose the opposite park days. It worked out perfectly. It just made sense to do DCA on our GCV day; same with DLH and our DL day.

With hotel room requests faxed, tickets taken care of, time off work, Christmas wrapped and ready to go, I was more than elated to be leaving this:

It's pretty to look at but garbage to live in. There I said it. This is my 20th Utah winter and I despise it with the same intensity as ever. I'm a summer girl. No harm, no foul.

Our plan was to be on the road by 9:30 am. DH (I'll call him M or DH throughout the report) worked 48* before, he's a firefighter, and when he got home on the morning of 12/18, I knew I'd be driving at least part of the way. He ran 36 calls in 48* and got zero sleep aside from the random cat nap here and there. Poor guy.

After a night of wrapping the last of the goodies:

And packing the road trip munchies:

I was good to go. Aside from the morning events like getting Guinness to the kennel and packing the car, I only had packing and a little laundry left. As some of you can confirm, I was a scattered mess the night before and had a heck of a time concentrating. Needless to say, the remainder of my packing would happen at 5 am.

I was up at 5am, made a nice cup of Joe from the Keurig, and got this handsome fella to the kennel right when they opened:

He loves his buddies at the kennel but he looks a little mad at me in this photo. My father in law ended up watching Lily but M thought it would be too much work for him to take both dogs. Whatevs.

Not at all heartbroken to be bailing on this:

We were on the road by 9:30 as anticipated. Dig when a plan comes together. With kids and their various electronics ready, we were off. I counted 2 iPads, 5 iPhones, 3 iPods, and one DS. Ridiculous. How did we all travel as kids? I said no to the laptop. I'm a hard butt.

DH loves when I drive:

The drive through Utah was uneventful which in my opinion is the best kind of road trip. The traffic was scarce and the roads were nice and dry.

I didn't take any road trip pics until we got to St. George as I was driving until then. while M said he couldn't say the drive was relaxing per say, he said it was nice to kick back some. He hates when I drive.

I found this so interesting; palm trees and snow.

Ignore the dirty windshield.

Entering the canyon and Arizona:

I missed the Nevada sign.

St. George is about 90 minutes from Vegas. Here's our eventful time in Vegas. We aren't stop and smell the roses driving people.

I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps!

On my must-stay list:

I wasn't kidding when I said we drove by Vegas.

I call this: pretty sunlight through spotted windshield.

Still driving rather in eventfully, less than 2 hours away when all of a sudden the sky turned this amazing orange and pink. I think we were just past Hesperia.

I can't imagine how gorgeous this would have been with the good camera. And the without the taillights.

As we finally hit the 22 freeway, we saw signs for Ball Road and Disneyland. We took an impromptu exit as we all decided, while we all felt that road trip dirty, we wanted to at least drive by the Disneyland Resort.

Katella is a beautiful sight:

As is the Disneyland shuttle:

And finally:

We were tempted to park and eat but the parking lot was packed and we really were pretty grimy from the drive.

We called into Shakey's Pizza, standard first night fare. It's just blocks from my friend's house and so good. Love pizza, chicken, and MoJo potatoes.

We picked up the pizza and headed to my friend's but not before stopping and grabbing beer and a bottle of wine from the liquor store. Utah doesn't have the same type liquor stores as 98% of the US. We've got blue laws like PA and MA.

We ran in and ate and then unpacked the car.

After settling in and showering we chilled and waited for my friend (S) to get home. S owns her own business and the holidays are the busiest time for her. She finally ended up home about 9:30 pm.

Here's a cute pic of Joshua's playing pool. Isn't her home just lovely?

We chatted for about an hour when she got home and hit the hay by 11:00. Tomorrow was set to be a very fun and early day.

M and I always make the plan before bed so the mornings aren't a headache. The plan was to be in the car, on the road by 7:30 am. S lives about 10 miles tops from the Disneyland Resort. I knew we'd all want a Starbucks before checking in to the GCV and dropping our bags, we also had to pick up our tickets from Guest Services outside of DCA.

Nighty night....

Up next: The GCV and DCA.

Last edited by rentayenta; 12-28-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #218
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

YAY. You started.

What a great update.

I have to admit to enjoying seeing the trip from your place (which looks lovely), through St George (I think I recognise that Texaco and the shops behind it!!), through Vegas (definitely stays in Vegas) and the gorgeous sunset. It was gorgeous with the phone camera so it must have been brilliant in 3D life. Loved the drive down Katella. You're making me very envious!

Your friend's home is beautiful.

Looking forward to more.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #219
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Yay! Great start to the TR!

I haven't had Shakey's in forever! Sounds yummy!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #220
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I am glad that the roadtrip was uneventful. The sunset is beautiful.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #221
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

An excellent beginning! Great picture of you and M, you look ready for an adventure! That pink sky was breathtaking, sometimes my heart just aches when I see something like that

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #222
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Hi, Jenny! You asked me to pop in here a while back, and it certainly took me a while to get here, but here I am!

Even though you must hate living in and dealing with the snow, as you said...it makes for some pretty pictures. You once posted a photo in the Christmas/Holiday Superthread to show me what you were dealing with as far as cold temperatures and snow, but it was a gorgeous photo! I wasn't thinking, "Ooooh...I'm glad I'm not living in that." Instead I was thinking, "Wow! That's awesome and I'd love to get some of that snow in Los Angeles! I want to make snow angels in the middle of the Farmers Market!"

I love the orange-pink shade of the sky. I always love it when skies turn those fantastic, brilliant, vibrant colors -- like someone just took a paint brush and created a masterpiece. Nature is a wondrous thing.

I must admit that you caught my attention with the mention of...Shakey's!!! Oh, how I miss Shakey's. That was a weekend staple of my youth and early teenage years, when there used to be more Shakey's restaurants around town. I can still smell and taste their pizza and Mojos now. It's probably been a good 25 years since I've eaten Shakey's food, and I wonder if it still smells and tastes the same!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #223
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
YAY. You started.

What a great update.

I have to admit to enjoying seeing the trip from your place (which looks lovely), through St George (I think I recognise that Texaco and the shops behind it!!), through Vegas (definitely stays in Vegas) and the gorgeous sunset. It was gorgeous with the phone camera so it must have been brilliant in 3D life. Loved the drive down Katella. You're making me very envious!

Your friend's home is beautiful.

Looking forward to more.

Hi ya.

I do love my house, just wish it was located in California. But if we lived in California right now, I wouldn't be able to afford my beautiful house.

It was the most amazing sunset. I have more photos on Michael's phone but he's at work...which leads to a super cool story I'll tell after I reply to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Yay! Great start to the TR!

I haven't had Shakey's in forever! Sounds yummy!

We love Shakey's. The sauce is on the sweet and spicy side. It's pretty sad/cool when I'm in their system for So Cal. When I called, they asked for my phone number. When I gave it, the girl said Jenny Sheets right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I am glad that the roadtrip was uneventful. The sunset is beautiful.

Corinna

So glad you're here. I love an uneventful road trip. One of my friends posted on FB tonight some ragged pics of her family on their 6 hour road trip. Cracked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
An excellent beginning! Great picture of you and M, you look ready for an adventure! That pink sky was breathtaking, sometimes my heart just aches when I see something like that

Always ready for adventure, even local quick adventure. Michaels makes a little fun of me but really, I can find the fun in most situations that have even a slight element of cheer in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Hi, Jenny! You asked me to pop in here a while back, and it certainly took me a while to get here, but here I am!

Even though you must hate living in and dealing with the snow, as you said...it makes for some pretty pictures. You once posted a photo in the Christmas/Holiday Superthread to show me what you were dealing with as far as cold temperatures and snow, but it was a gorgeous photo! I wasn't thinking, "Ooooh...I'm glad I'm not living in that." Instead I was thinking, "Wow! That's awesome and I'd love to get some of that snow in Los Angeles! I want to make snow angels in the middle of the Farmers Market!"

I love the orange-pink shade of the sky. I always love it when skies turn those fantastic, brilliant, vibrant colors -- like someone just took a paint brush and created a masterpiece. Nature is a wondrous thing.

I must admit that you caught my attention with the mention of...Shakey's!!! Oh, how I miss Shakey's. That was a weekend staple of my youth and early teenage years, when there used to be more Shakey's restaurants around town. I can still smell and taste their pizza and Mojos now. It's probably been a good 25 years since I've eaten Shakey's food, and I wonder if it still smells and tastes the same!

Glad you made it over. It smells and tastes exactly the same. You're in So Cal right? They've got them all over I believe.

Snow is fun to visit for like two days. Only. Trust me. It sucks to live and drive in. When it snows on a weekday, it can take me a good hour to get to work which is only 22 miles away. I don't hate a lot of things and am a pretty positive person but I hate living in the snow. Thankfully we've got a few things planned to keep me from becoming Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining.

Speaking of movies, I counted and watched Love Actually 13 times on the last month.

Okay so check this out friends. Michael is at the FD today and a man comes in from an FD in Florida asking to trade dept. patches, which is very common practice in the world of firefighters. We have traded patches from all over. Anyway......they tell the guy sure, he comes in, starts talking with M, when M asks what dept. in Florida? The guy replies WDW FD! Michael is like no way. They ended up chatting for an hour, trading info, patches, and the gentleman gave M this:

How cool is that? Its a WDW FD coin. It's blurry but it says: Protecting The Magic. He told M his schedule and said when we visit next, he'll get us a VIP backlot tour, not one you can buy. How fun is that?! Michael has finally admitted to someone not related to me somehow how much he loves Disney. It's a pretty special coin. He said the only other one he's ever given out was to his son.

I always tell Michael Disney brings folks together and yet again, it's proven true.

Then Michael asked me this: where is the 5 legged sheep in WDW located? I cannot believe my muggle knows Disney trivia that I don't.

Last edited by rentayenta; 12-28-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #224
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I'm with you on the snow as it is starting to snow again here. . Is it May yet?

You can't watch Love Actually too many times.

How cool about the WDW visitor! You guys get all the hookups!

Jill in CO
Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #225
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm with you on the snow as it is starting to snow again here. . Is it May yet? You can't watch Love Actually too many times. How cool about the WDW visitor! You guys get all the hookups! Jill in CO
You feel my pain. May sounds wonderful. March sounds livable even. January makes me want to punch myself in the face. Hard. The British guy's storyline is the best. Colin, God of Sex, headed west on Shag Highway. Isn't that crazy cool about the coin? I told Michael he needs to apply for the Mom's Panel next year. He'd be perfect, his tale is great, runs, Disney convert.... He thinks the coin is pretty special. I agree. I asked him to send me a pic of the patch too.

Last edited by rentayenta; 12-29-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: