Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #91
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post

Unless someone willingly offers up their name, state and address, go ahead and try to find them.
Probably takes less than 10 minutes to figure out who someone is online and where they live.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #92
CarouselOfProgress4
Mouseketeer

What would be more creepy is if Disney tagged the photo of you on Facebook along with the other strangers that were riding with you.
CarouselOfProgress4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #93
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Just be careful with this challenge.

On another my husband doesn't want to go to WDW because he doesn't want to be tracked by 'the man' by his fingerprint thread someone pointed out that with the internet you can find lots of info about people. The OP commented that while she was all over the place you would never find a shred info about him.

Well 15 minutes later just by using her unique username, her post history here, just a few websites and some junior detective work I not only found him but had a picture of him. Oh and I'm a good guy.
You're right, if people aren't smart about what they post online, they probably are easily tracked.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #94
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Creepy as heck-we'll use the card with RFID blocking wallets.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #95
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Just curious... what exactly are you afraid will happen if you don't use the card with the RFID blocking wallet?

"Creepy" is a legitimate feeling, insofar as all our feelings are legitimate feelings. And sometimes we make our decisions based on philosophy, "slippery slope", and "it's the principle of the thing", and that's legitimate, too.

But I'd love to know if there are any concrete fears, upon which the feeling is founded.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #96
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just so you know the cards only have the low range RFID on it. It least for the magic bands you have to make complete full contact to get a read. Its not like my security door fob that only needs to be within a 1/2 an inch of the reader.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #97
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Just curious... what exactly are you afraid will happen if you don't use the card with the RFID blocking wallet?

"Creepy" is a legitimate feeling, insofar as all our feelings are legitimate feelings. And sometimes we make our decisions based on philosophy, "slippery slope", and "it's the principle of the thing", and that's legitimate, too.

But I'd love to know if there are any concrete fears, upon which the feeling is founded.
What do I think will happen if I don't use the card with the RFID blocking wallet? Probably nothing, it's a personal choice. In this case, at least, I can preserve my privacy a little bit. It shocks me that people just roll over on these issues. Maybe it's because I'm a child of the times of my youth- the 1960's and 70's when people thought the philosophies in 1984 were bad. It was hard to imagine things like this would happen yet today Big Brother is routine and people think you're a kook if you're upset about it.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #98
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Just so you know the cards only have the low range RFID on it. It least for the magic bands you have to make complete full contact to get a read. Its not like my security door fob that only needs to be within a 1/2 an inch of the reader.
Not really, if they can read it when you are on a ride to identify your picture. I guess the reader is in the car.

When I first read this post and found my pictures I was truly shocked, especially seeing the date and time shown. I don't care if someone can track down my picture, it just surprised me that it could be done. I knew on Buzz that you could swipe your card or band next to your picture at the end of your ride and it would go to your photopass, I just didn't know that they could track you and automatically put it on your photopass. My first thought was what if you were there with someone you shouldn't be (not in my case)! ;-)
Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #99
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In this case, at least, I can preserve my privacy a little bit. It shocks me that people just roll over on these issues.
In the park, if you use FP or FP+, disney will know where you are. If you stay onsite, use your band to make a purchase, you're tracked. Credit card ? iPhone ?
And what about the internet ? Newsletter ? email clubs ? social media/networks ? Even here on DIS we give out too many information about ourselves (and if we do a trip report, it's even worse)

Now, if I can use this technology so that the waiter finds me at BOG and brings my food before it's cold. If Disney can bring me my ride pictures without me needing to wait in line for 10 minutes at the photo shop each time I ride.
well ... I'm willing to accept that. Because it does not infringe on my privacy.

Talking about privacy here is like going to a restaurant and playing hide and seek with the waiter just because we don't want that waiter to know your table number, just because we consider that where we are is "private".

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #100
CarouselOfProgress4
Mouseketeer

Yes there's a lot worse privacy infringements that are happening right now that we don't even know about. This is helping Disney make a sale but its also a convenient service for some people.
CarouselOfProgress4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #101
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The Magic Bands have longer range transmitters so you will not have to scan them for that sort of thing.

Someone above did have the point that even in the "old days" photographs were taken of every person on every vehicle, and your photograph was always made available for other persons riding in the same vehicle to purchase. Even someone who was not riding in your vehicle could have purchased your photo if they identified it to the cashier as the one they wished to purchase.

The RFID blocking wallets will maybe help - if you never take the card out of them for anything. They do NOT store your credit card number on the band or card.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #102
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

I was creeped out when we had a FP+ for BOG and we pre ordered. They told us we could sit anywhere so we sat in the Rose Garden and within a few minutes our food appeared. How did they know we were there? No one came to our table or looked at a slip of paper. it was liked they tracked us to the table....
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
WL - 10/15
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #103
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Last time I was at BOG they scanned the magic bands before we entered the ordering room and were able to locate us that way.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #104
jc040404
DIS Veteran

Interesting stuff. I think it's kinda neat. I've been getting emails about expiring photopass, but didn't think anything of it. After reading this, I checked it out. We never bother to look at the ride photos and I liked one of ds enough that I'm considering a purchase. I guess their evil plan worked! Half of the photos are of other guests though. None are wearing the bands.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #105
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
I was creeped out when we had a FP+ for BOG and we pre ordered. They told us we could sit anywhere so we sat in the Rose Garden and within a few minutes our food appeared. How did they know we were there? No one came to our table or looked at a slip of paper. it was liked they tracked us to the table....
They did track you to your table, using the MB.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: