Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
caitlinS9
Earning My Ears

No, I haven't done it. But, since every reservation is it's own reservation, I do not see how it would be a problem. The guidelines aren't up right now, or I would link to them, but I don't remember it saying the spouse is eligible on if the Military member was not booking. Unfortunately, my husband & I both qualify on our own (Thank you Disney for extending this to DOD civilians!), so I book them that way knowing we are each eligible for our own room.
caitlinS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
caitlinS9
Earning My Ears

As I said, I haven't done it - but Disney doesn't know who you are married to. So under seperate reservations, they wouldn't know if your spouse was or wasn't traveling with you. Even if you linked the reservations, you could just be people related with the same name.

When i was on the phone with the agent last week, i have the kids in a seperate room with my mom & the lady didn't really seem to understand that those were my kids in the other room (and i have a super unique last name that my mom doesn't share).
caitlinS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Comcam
Earning My Ears

I just booked a Alaskan cruise for June into July 2014 and they did not have any military discount available for the cruise yet. I was told to call back every so often to see if they have released it for those dates yet.
Comcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

As others have said, don't believe anything you hear from a CM until Disney makes an announcement and I can't believe they would make an announcement that they are getting rid of military discounts. It wouldn't make good pr sense.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #20
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcam View Post
I just booked a Alaskan cruise for June into July 2014 and they did not have any military discount available for the cruise yet. I was told to call back every so often to see if they have released it for those dates yet.
They don't usually release the military rates until about 2 months prior to the cruise. Military rates are only offered on cruises that didn't sell well and usually in the off season. I'd be surprised to see a military rate for an Alaskan cruise in late June/early July. But anything is possible! We've been able to snag the military rate for two of our cruises, one in early December and the other early May.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
bryresangel
Earning My Ears

We were able to get a military discount for a 5 day Bahamas cruise in June! I started watching the year before to see if there were going to be discounts for the time we were looking to go (when school was out). No guarantee for the next year, but it worked for us. It WAS pretty nerve wracking to wait until about 2 months out with no guarantee that there would be a military discount, but it was worth it.
bryresangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #22
cheesehead3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkum View Post
Just curious if anyone has recently sailed with the military discount and booked 2 rooms. One under the spouse and one under the member. Even on the DU website, I see the word OR used, not AND. I read it to be that if the member can't sail with, the spouse could still book a room. Not the member AND spouse. Hmmm.....really curious now!
It was on the Dec 21 cruise last year out of Galveston, but I was able to book 2 rooms with the military rate, I don't know if that was before the change in the policy.
HTH

Charles
Old 12-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #23
apathetic
Earning My Ears

I served 20+ years

And I think it's very unfair to criticize DCL for not offering military discounts, if that is true. Disney is one of the best companies for military discounts. We've been to WDW and Disneyland with free park tickets along with exceptionally low family ticket prices. Further, they have offered up to 40% on rooms in the best hotels for many years. Since the vast majority of people who enjoy Disney do so at the parks, the discounts are in the right places.

Cruises are a different ball game. You are talking all-inclusive vacation (minus port excursions) and there is a smaller room for discounts. I don't have a problem when a company doesn't offer military discounts. Rather I'm thankful when some companies do. Disney is one of the best. You can easily save hundreds on a 5 day vacation to WDW. Take the park discounts and if you like the Disney brand, then spend a few extra to experience the cruise. There will be a day (again) when nobody offers military discounts.
apathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkum View Post
Just curious if anyone has recently sailed with the military discount and booked 2 rooms. One under the spouse and one under the member. Even on the DU website, I see the word OR used, not AND. I read it to be that if the member can't sail with, the spouse could still book a room. Not the member AND spouse. Hmmm.....really curious now!
AFAIK, the military discount is only applicable to one room (booked by either military member OR spouse). Only exception I've heard of was when the immediate family (mom, dad, kids) is more than one room can handle, then they can book two rooms. But that's not a case of the military member booking one room and the spouse booking another (although they would have to be booked separately in the rooms).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #25
houseofduck
Mouseketeer

We have been able to book two rooms since the rule change. But, we fall into the "can't fit on one room" category. I was told that even though we need two rooms, only parents and children could be booked in those rooms. You can't book a grandparent, friend, relative, or anyone else in the rooms.
houseofduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: