Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Kebby
Mouseketeer

Help me choose a room category

We are just about to book a 4 day dream cruise for september. I am having a hell of a time booking a room. There are 5 of us, so debating two rooms vs one. My hubby is also prone to motion sickness ( spent most of our RC cruise miserable) but will take bonine this time.

Should I go with a 4A deluxe family room or should I get a connecting ocean view room that is lower deck and more mid ship? I would prefer a balcony, but hubby just wants to be comfortable. I did a 3 day dream cruise last year in a veranda room and loved it- but the large port holes on some of the ocean view rooms also look nice.

Any advise would be welcome.
Kebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

I hear that the motion is less noticeable lower and at midship. I've only been on deck 6 fore (5B?) myself, and we had no problems with even noticing the motion of the ship but every person and every cruise is different.

Also, the consensus here is generally to book 2 cabins either connecting or an outside and an inside. You don't say the ages of your travelers, but you would book one adult in each room and then actually sleep in whatever arrangement you prefer. People like the two connecting cabins for the extra space and two bathrooms, and a little privacy for the adults.

If you can't get two connecting cabins but can get two balconies next door to each other, you can have the divider between the balconies removed and use the balcony as your connecting door.

Some of the travel sales sites have deck plans that show the available cabins on your cruise. You might look around there and see what is available.
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
darwinsrule
Mouseketeer

Not really sure which would be better honestly. We have done OV on the bottom of the boat and had a 4A on deck 10. The 4A was during hurricane Irene so everyone was sick. The OV was really nice except for the fact that you can look out and the waves are right there in front of you. Not good if you are prone to motion sickness.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD9 DD5
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
auntlynne
Aunt Lynne

I find the Bahamian cruises to be the worst for causing me seasickness; any chance you can do a 7-night to the Caribbean?

I also have had much better results with a prescription Scopolamine patch - less drowsiness (but dry mouth).

Other than that, mid-ship and lower does seem to be better (just no so low you feel the engine vibration).

... And our people much prefer multiple cabins (and bathrooms) to squeezing everyone into one small room.

Bon Voyage!
DISNEY FANTASY | March 12 ~ W Maiden Voyage
ISLAND PRINCESS | June 12 ~ AK SBound
GOLDEN PRINCESS | Sep 12 ~ 1N Repo
STAR PRINCESS | Sep 12 ~ 2N Vancouver - San Francisco
DIAMOND PRINCESS | July 13 AK NBound
ALLURE OF THE SEAS | Mar 13 ~ W (My 100th Day at Sea while on the World's Largest Cruise Ship)
auntlynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

If you don't want/need a veranda, and the view isn't important, and the motion is the priority, than book two connecting or adjoining cabins on deck 2. Category 9b between 2530 - 2554. This room cat. has one medium porthole.

I would at least book a porthole OV though, as the light/view may help with motion sickness. You don't want to be trapped in an inside cabin.

Of course I haven't heard/read any reports how the Dream Class virtual portholes help prevent/postpone/assist with motion sickness, like a window could. In theory it should work as well since it is a live external video feed. Well, as long as they're not feeding the video of 30' breakers into the cabin.

Images/floorplans from the DCL site are accurate for the 9b's AFAIK;
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...iew-stateroom/

I see now the connecting cabins on that deck are a bit more forward. Try to stay in the center of the ship (front to back) and near the waterline (deck 2) to minimize the motion. So pick 2534/2536, or their mirror images port side.

The next "midship" cabin is on deck 6. That's almost/easily 40 feet higher than deck 2. That height difference is noticeable to those sensitive to motion, of course depending on the seas.

Test Bonine weeks before the cruise for the side effects for each individual traveling. Fwiw kids are rarely affected by the sea state. But, .... Then take Bonine a day or two prior to sail, to get it in your system. Then daily aboard IMO. We had great success with Bonine. Ironically we should have continued the dosage even after our sailing, as we had landsickness pretty bad. Of course we had unusually heavy seas, so ...

Of course this is JMO

HTH Enjoy
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Have hubby start the Bonine a few days before sailing so it's in his system. I did this on our last cruise and it was the best I ever felt in 4 cruises. I never once felt queasy.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: