Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
Bella29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfool_1202 View Post
We have been on 2 DCL trips with my son who has a deadly tree nut and peanut allergy. We have at least 5 epipens with us (not that that many would work but I always bring 'back up" in case something malfunctions" and both Benadryl liquid and chewables (in case he can't chew and I have to pour it down his throat which I did at WDW once at the Contemporary resort)
I just want to share our experience in case it is helpful to you (and I hope you never need this information). Chewable benadryl did not work nearly as quickly as liquid benadryl when my son had a reaction to eggs once. We no longer carry the chewables and only carry liquid (along with multiple epi pens).

Last edited by Bella29; 12-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Bella29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Bella29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkyminky View Post
No I'm saying this because we've had people tell us, literally to my face, that they don't believe in food allergies. This person said that he thinks food allergies are just "Rich white folks" over reacting.
I told him, well, I am not poor but I'm not rich. I'm also Asian, not white, but my son has tree nut allergy.

There ARE some people out there who are just uneducated about food allergy and do not believe in it.
There are also some cultures out there that do not think food allergy is a big deal. They see some allergic reactions (not anaphylaxis, but some rashes for example), they think it'll go away if they keep eating it.
I went to school in Japan for two years when I was in elementary school. I am lactose intolerant but they didn't care because they didn't believe in it. So they forced me to drink milk daily during lunch and I felt sick every day. Luckily, things are starting to change over there now that people are more aware and learning that food allergy CAN be a serious health threat to some.

This is why my doctor told me to let restaurants know that we're not joking when it comes to my son's allergies.
Oh I see what you're saying now, and I do understand about people not believing in allergies. It's so frustrating. It took multiple reactions caused by my in-laws before they started taking my son's allergies seriously, despite the fact that my mother-in-law is a RN. I could have happily strangled her. Thankfully they chose his less serious allergy (eggs vs. peanuts) for their learning experience.
Bella29 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #18
ChristinaDK
Just like we dreeeeeaaaamm it

I have an allergy to coffee and dark chocolate. I will be sick all 14 days if I drink a cup.

ChristinaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #19
Doodledogs
Mouseketeer

My daughter has server tree nut/peanut. We had sailed on DCL 3 times and had both good and bad experiences. I also found eating in the MDR is safest. However, not as safe when you are a large group as a single small family. Our past trip was with 14 people and they seemed to loose track of her allergy and I had to stay on top of them. When we sat as a family of 5, no issues at all.
Doodledogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: