Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
Dreamer1977
Earning My Ears

My once in a lifetime holiday.................

Well I have been home a week now and just getting over being tired lol - had an amazing 2 weeks staying at SSR.

But....am getting the holiday blues and seriously considering when we can go back :-) I won't take Dd's out of school again for 2 weeks so looking at school holidays, don't think we'd all cope with the August heat so wondering which half term holiday people think is best - are any much quieter than others?
Dreamer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
flortlebap
Disneyiac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer1977 View Post
Well I have been home a week now and just getting over being tired lol - had an amazing 2 weeks staying at SSR.

But....am getting the holiday blues and seriously considering when we can go back :-) I won't take Dd's out of school again for 2 weeks so looking at school holidays, don't think we'd all cope with the August heat so wondering which half term holiday people think is best - are any much quieter than others?
They're all pretty busy! We went over the May/June holiday (half term) but it was very hot for the kids and quite busy. A lot of UK visitors favour the Oct half term but that can also be busy with F&W and MNSSHP.

It's funny to see another converted "Once in a Lifetimer" though
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
jen_uk
Eurovision Nut !!

August is a great time to go as the USA schools go back earlier than ours so the crowd levels drop as the month goes on. Don't let the heat put you off as it is manageable. As everywhere is air conditioned you can easily get out of the heat when you need to or cool down in the pool. I'm not very good in the heat and I've always been fine in August

My dis buddy is Carolfoy
jen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Vickyrowe
Only 4 Months Until My Birthday Trip !!!!!

Last time we went we were there from August 14th -August 28th , I really didn't think we would cope with the heat , especially DH who is is a wheelchair , but we were fine, the only day I really felt like we were melting was in Animal Kingdom , As has been said above the end of August is less busy than you would think , I don't think we ever waited in standby more than 20 mins , ( except Toy Story) .
Vickyrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
queendisney
DIS Veteran

personally I'd go for October. We took the nephews then. It depends how you are with heat/humidity really on whether to go August. We really cannot cope with it and have been lots of different times of the year and avoid it big time now. We find we get so much more done when the heat is a dry heat as the humidity is just horrid in the summer and I think it just zaps your energy. Yes you can escape it and just go from one AC'd place to the next but its also really nice to be able to wonder around and smell the roses! We do more in two weeks in October/November then we do with three weeks in the summer months. But others are fine with the humidity.

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
penlanspice
Addicted 2 disney

I wonder how many people say it their "once in a life time holiday".... once you've been your hooked. lol

Our Dream Disney Wedding - September 19th 2006
WP-WH Room-Living seas - UK Lower
penlanspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

I've been twice during the Easter holidays the weather was fine not too hot even a little cooler in the evening needing a cardigan but definitely manageable. Crowd wise it was busy especially over the Easter weekend but are "rope droppers" which makes a huge difference. The next trip will probably be the same time but I'd love to go in October half term to see the Halloween decorations.
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Sencybil
What next?

October is great, the Halloween decorations are fab. It was particularly hot for the first half of our trip and I did find it bothersome - just had to get from one patch of shade to the next - so I know I'd really struggle in August. But as others have said, many cope just fine. The second half was perfect temp wise - never needed a cardi however late at night we were out.

We were lucky and had little rain, just one half day, but you do have to be prepared that you may experience much more than that. It's not quiet any more at that time, but if you follow the recommendations, use fastpass etc then its not bad at all. (i.e. avoid Epcot at the weekends etc). It's a bit annoying that MK evening opening is restricted due to Halloween Parties, so you have to carefully plan your Wishes viewing, but we had 2 Saturday nights with MK open til 1am which for me was ample compensation. We had a great time. If I had completely free choice I'd love to go in early DEcember and see the Christmas stuff (and lower crowd levels), but restricted to school hols I wouldn't hesitate to go in Oct again. I'd think feb half term might be quieter though?

Sencybil x
Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Dreamer1977
Earning My Ears

Thanks :-) am tempted by August but definitely will have to think about the weather!! It was perfect this November/December but unfortunately can't do that again!

I can't wait to have another holiday to plan :-)
Dreamer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: