Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

So really.. how much $$ do you take?

We are a family of 3 going on a 4 nighter next month. We have the Stingray port adventure booked so we know we are looking at about $130 there and around $150 for tips. Santa is supplying GCs for individual souvenir purchases for the little one. Including tips for room service and others and anything else I may be forgetting (please elaborate) what is a safe amount to bring?

Thanks in advance.

May 01', WL**August 08' offsite**January 12' Honeymoon trip, CBR,**January 13' DD first magical trip+anniversary, POP**January 14' first cruise+anniversary
Scottiesmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

Should also mention that there will be no alcohol consumption.

May 01', WL**August 08' offsite**January 12' Honeymoon trip, CBR,**January 13' DD first magical trip+anniversary, POP**January 14' first cruise+anniversary
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
eacosper
Mouseketeer

My husband estimated about $500 just to make sure you aren't left out in the cold.

eacosper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

maybe I don't understand. are you not having a cc bound to your storeroom acct for expenses? I doubt I will need much cash at all for the seven night cruise the wife and I will be embarking on.

I mean well probably have 600+ in cash but I doubt most of it will be spent. all tips onboard will be billed to acct (including spa tips, drink tips, etc.). only need cash for tips on land and souvenirs on land.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Old 12-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

Other possible extras are photos, nursery fees (if your little one is less than 3), adult dining (Palo or Remy), spa treatments or Bippity Boppity Boutique. Of course, these are things that are optional.

Also realize that any beverage from any bar (with or without alcohol, ie. soda from a can) and movie theater snacks will be a charged.

Also if you plan on booking another trip, you will need to put down a down payment (10%) as well.

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
sambycat
DIS Veteran

we usually have ~$300 cash on hand on any given cruise. we will usually have prepaid into our tips, maybe a small onboard credit. we charge it all onboard to our account and on to american express. honestly, even though we usually toss a few $20s towards tips in addition to our prepay, we usually leave with cash in our pockets. HTH!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

We normally take $1,000 in cash, $500 in Travelers Checks, and end up charging about $1,000 to our credit card for 4 people on a 7 day.
All our excursions and alcohol are put on the credit card, all tips in cash.

But we also are flying cross country, and usually have 3 meals going and 3 meals returning in airports.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

So, just so I am understanding correctly.. We can attach our debit card to our account with say at least $400 on it and then $100 cash plus minor amounts on GCs we should be fine?

Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiesmommy08 View Post
So, just so I am understanding correctly.. We can attach our debit card to our account with say at least $400 on it and then $100 cash plus minor amounts on GCs we should be fine?
We bring some cash, but rarely use it. It's much more convenient for us to put everything on our account and pay for it with our credit card. (We don't use debit cards.)
Even though we use very little cash I would not be comfortable with just $100. I feel more comfortable knowing we have cash if we need it.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
rcchello
DIS Veteran

I never carry more than $200 in cash on me. In 5 Disney Cruises I have never run out if cash and usually go home with at least $100.

Almost everything onboard goes against my onboard account and most of the cash is spent on small items an tips in port.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Who knows???

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

We took $600 for our 7 night Fantasy Cruise and came home with most of it--
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
Kendal
DIS Veteran

We have spent 500 on a 4 night dream ... It mostly depends how much as I tell my wife junk do u want to bring home... She spent 200 In just pictures....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
1025cruise
Mouseketeer

You are going to want to attach a credit card to your onboard account, not a debit card. With a debit card, you could run into issues due to the holds placed on it.
1025cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
Dawg91
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiesmommy08 View Post
On the ship, the only actual cash you need is small bills for room service tips. Everything else can be charged to your onboard account. You can either put some cash down on your inboard account or put a credit card or debit card on it.

If you choose to, you don't have to spend anything on your onboard account except tips. It's not hard to not spend anything. I charged only a spa treatment and a trip to the gift shop.

You may want cash to spend on your travels to and from the port and on the excursions.
Dawg91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
teambeaman
Mouseketeer

Instead of putting your debit card down, you can make it a cash account. I think they'll let you charge $300 before you have to go and pay it down. We went on a 3 night, and if I would have stayed away from Bingo we'd have spent last than $100.
MAR 13 - POP
JUN 13 - Disneyland
***Upcoming***
OCT 13 - AKL, MNSSHP
OCT 13 - Dream
OCT 13 - POFQ
teambeaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: