Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #91
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Just read your article- it was really interesting! You must be happy that you got to spend some time writing again. Let us know if you do more, especially anything football-related.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #92
akhwbj1
Earning My Ears

Our original dates were October 6-11, but my husband is in one our best friends weddings in April. They are only 1 1/2 hours from Disney so we thought it made more since to go then. So as of right now the dates are April 20-25. I think I'm going to rent DVC points this time and stay at one of the villas at animal kingdom lodge. What are your suggestions? It's just my husband, son (he will be 4 in May), and myself going. This is only my 4th trip ever at Disney World so I have a lot to learn. Thanks for all your help!
akhwbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #93
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in. Loving your story and all the beautiful pictures!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #94
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Holy hell that FP line is INSANE!!! We didn't even attempt FP for TT on our trip, just did Single Rider.

I'm glad you didn't have any trouble getting your DAS. I see they gave it to you for a few days though, which is different than what was originally posted when this was being rolled out about having to go to GS each day to get a new one. So much better that you are able to get one for your whole trip, it looks like! I don't need one, but that really seems like such a hassle for those who do need one.

Oh my goodness. I LOVE ALL YOUR CHARACTER SPOT PICTURES!!! Mickey holding out your rings, Goofy covering his eyes, Minnie needing to get hitched...they all came out so great!!!

The demo looks like a lot of fun. Holy cow, a 4 page recipe!? That's insane!!! But the finished product looks really good.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #95
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great update!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneymoonJess07 View Post
Following along We did a Disneymoon 4 years ago, and it was great!!
Thanks! I see you're going to Disney in early May, we were there around that time last year and it was an amazing time to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Bummer about the Test Track FP line! Not cool!

But it sounds like the rest of your time was fun and productive.
There is something fishy going on with TT. My cynical take? Disney knows it has a capacity problem at Epcot. There are basically two rides that everyone wants to ride: Soarin and TT. The problem is neither is a particularly quick loader, so capacity has always been an issue. I really think they've bumped up the number of FP+ reservations they're taking for TT. And between that increase and the clogging at the design-a-car kiosks, the queue movement has become a disaster.

But luckily for us, this trip wasn't really about the rides. So surprisingly enough, we were satisfied with our SE ride and were good for the day.

Quote:
The Spaceship Earth pictures perfectly demonstrate one of the things I love about Franklin's pictures. As many times as I have been on this attraction, I have never noticed all of the details that are in the photos you posted. There is so much incredible theming, but it is impossible to take it all in just riding.

Very, very cute character pictures, ESPECIALLY the Goofy one. And you can't go wrong with the ring closeups
There are so many details in SE that you could ride it for years and not notice everything. I always tease Franklin about the number of pictures he takes on that ride, but they are all so interesting!

Quote:
4 page recipe??? I love to cook, but "Ain't nobody got time for that kind of foolishness!" It does sound delish, though.
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Just read your article- it was really interesting! You must be happy that you got to spend some time writing again. Let us know if you do more, especially anything football-related.
Thanks, if there's one thing we have plenty of, it's NFL writers. So I don't think I'll be dipping my toe in that pool anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhwbj1 View Post
Our original dates were October 6-11, but my husband is in one our best friends weddings in April. They are only 1 1/2 hours from Disney so we thought it made more since to go then. So as of right now the dates are April 20-25. I think I'm going to rent DVC points this time and stay at one of the villas at animal kingdom lodge. What are your suggestions? It's just my husband, son (he will be 4 in May), and myself going. This is only my 4th trip ever at Disney World so I have a lot to learn. Thanks for all your help!
You get to go to Disney sooner, that is always good. It will be busy with Easter visitors and spring breakers, but you'll still be able to get plenty done. And you will LOVE AKV. I rented points before I bought into DVC, so let me know if you have any questions. AKV is one of the bigger DVC resorts, so it doesn't sell out as quickly as the others. But with it being a holiday weekend, don't wait too long to rent the points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I'm joining in. Loving your story and all the beautiful pictures!
Thanks! I need to go back and read your solo TRs. I'm going to Disney solo for the first time May, got any good starter tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Holy hell that FP line is INSANE!!! We didn't even attempt FP for TT on our trip, just did Single Rider.

I'm glad you didn't have any trouble getting your DAS. I see they gave it to you for a few days though, which is different than what was originally posted when this was being rolled out about having to go to GS each day to get a new one. So much better that you are able to get one for your whole trip, it looks like! I don't need one, but that really seems like such a hassle for those who do need one.

It was an insane line, I felt bad for the people who stayed in it.

Things went much smoother than I imagined they would with the DAS. I had none of the issues that others reported having when getting it. And the nice thing is, on future trips, they'll just scan the barcode and print out a new one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Oh my goodness. I LOVE ALL YOUR CHARACTER SPOT PICTURES!!! Mickey holding out your rings, Goofy covering his eyes, Minnie needing to get hitched...they all came out so great!!!

The demo looks like a lot of fun. Holy cow, a 4 page recipe!? That's insane!!! But the finished product looks really good.
The Character Spot was really fun this time, GREAT character interaction! The demo was also really fun, but yeah, no chance I ever cook that recipe. We did learn the key to creamy, French-style mashed potatoes is to use one third potatoes, one third cream and one third butter. Yum!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #96
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

As Missy mentioned, we parted ways after the Test Track queue. Off I went to work on a photo project. I decided to try something new for this trip. Actually, I never really tried this technique before. So, it will be fun to try and learn something new, from scratch. What was I doing?

Cinemagraphs

These are still photos with a minor moving element. If you look away too quick, you'll miss it!

For my first attempt, Mission Space.

How about the Monorail.

See what I did there? I hope you guys enjoy these.

Disclaimer: You have to be on a computer (or internet browser app on phones) to view these. These photos won't move if you are using the DisBoards App on Android or iOS (iPhone or iPad).

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #97
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Wow, what an insane FP line! Test Track always seems to be the worst with that in my opinion. They are such a low capacity ride and that tends to wreak havoc on it I think.

OMG, I love that Goofy picture! That's so cute.

Wow Franklin, I LOVE the Cinemagraphs!

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
My Fork and I Are Friends - Nov 14 TR
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #98
MotherandDaughter
Mouseketeer

That's sad about Test Track. Its one of my favorite rides.

Spaceship Earth is a good ride. Its very relaxing.
Summer 2013: Offsite
Next trip: none at the moment

DD DM DD
MotherandDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #99
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Aweome cinemagraphs! BTW- i do see them on my Ipad

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #100
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002

Franklin loves the mussels at Belgium? Aww, there were none this year. Only Belgian waffles. I agree with him - the mussels in Brussels are to die for....served with some amazing sauces!!

We did a culinary demonstration as well - it was a great beef dish with a pinot noir from Monterey Coast. Very good and very entertaining. The chef from Raglan Road was there one of the days we were in the Festival Center. He was making trout, which looked delicious, and he was quite funny, telling stories from Ireland all the while. We want to sign up for his demo next year.

Franklin, your cinemagraphs are incredible!

Thanks again for all these amazing trip reports!

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #101
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I finally caught up on your trip report. Your wedding seems to have gone off without a hitch. You really packed a lot into 24 hours. That is really nice to have all the planning pay off and so many wonderful memories to have of that special, once in a life time, day.

The decor of the California Grill surprised me. Your pictures are the first that I've seen of the new rehab and it seems like it is a lot less "classy" then I think a signature restaurant on top of the CR should be. Was it really that bright in there?

I love the fireworks pictures. We were at WL the first week of Dec and were able to catch the MVMCP fireworks from the beach. They were beautiful and I can see why people go to these parties for the fireworks.

How great that was to meet Wanya. I'll be disappointed if he didn't play your song at the concert.

We are going to the Flower and Garden Show in March and are looking forward to the food booths. We have similar food booths at Taste of Chicago. We'll be at the Beach Club and plan to eat our way around the world. The Epcot resorts are perfect for that.

We didn't ride very many rides on our last trip, and we ended up having a great time. I guess once you ride something a couple of dozen times over multiple years, it just isn't that important to ride it again. We loved being able to schedule our fp+ times for the few rides we went on. I had fun playing with the app, changing fp+ times on the fly and making ADR's while on the bus. It worked well for us but I can see where not everyone would feel the same way, especially if they haven't been to Disney as often as we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
As Missy mentioned, we parted ways after the Test Track queue. Off I went to work on a photo project. I decided to try something new for this trip. Actually, I never really tried this technique before. So, it will be fun to try and learn something new, from scratch. What was I doing?

Cinemagraphs

These are still photos with a minor moving element. If you look away too quick, you'll miss it!

For my first attempt, Mission Space.

How about the Monorail.

See what I did there? I hope you guys enjoy these.
That is a really cool project. I love looking at all your work.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #102
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I have never even heard of cinemagraphs. SO cool!! Love them!!!!!

We ran into crazy long FP+ lines for both TT and the safari. Thankfully the TT one moved fairly quickly. We didnt even try the safari...the line curved all the way down the street!! There are definitely still some kinks to be worked out.

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #103
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Those cinemagraphs are freaking awesome, Franklin! Love the monorail one!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #104
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Hi fellow DC-er! Those pics flighting out of DCA are great!!

Congrats on your wedding!

We managed to get to Epcot on the last day of F&W, and really enjoyed the kimchi dog, as well as the steamed bun in China (and I'm going to try to recreate both for NYE dinner- along with grand marnie slushies!)

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD3 Baby #2 (Coming, March 2015!)

WL-January 2015; DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #105
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

The cinemagraphs turned out awesome. Love the monorail and how you were able to have it moving along the track and have the reflection following along in the water as well.

Looks like a lot of work but well worth it. Hope you were able to get the monorail shot in one pass and not have to wait for it to come back around again.
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2014 - May - Wilderness Lodge - Adventures at 40"!
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: