Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Highs Lows and observations

DH and I returned from WDW on Wednesday morning after a really great holiday.

We flew PE with VA on 18th November but prior to getting on the plane on the Friday, I caught a cold and had a nice glowing red nose and DH got bitten on the forehead by a false black widow spider!!!!!! So on the flight I looked like Rudolph the red nose reindeer and DH looked like an alien out of Star Trek as his forehead swelled up. It was really bad and the pharmacist in departures issued him with a load of anti-histamines and pain killers. It took a few days before the swelling went down...
Anyway, we stayed at the Gatwick Hilton the night before the flight and we always book an executive room as it comes with access to the Hiltons executive lounge where you get free drinks and also an evening buffet and then a buffet breakfast in the morning.
Next morning the flight took off on time (a total first for us with VA) and the captain said it was going to take 9 hours and 2 mins. How precise is that?! He wasn’t far wrong. Flight was uneventful and we had booked seats in the dedicated downstairs PE cabin. Food was ok, not yummy but filled a spot. Our seats were right at the back of the cabin nearest the exit door. When we landed we were waiting right near the door for a quick exit. The cabin crew opened the door and it was basically a free for all to exit. We were beaten to the door by two ladies in economy but quickly legged it past them as they didn’t know where they were going... (I did shout 'Follow us' as we went past!!)got to the immigration hall and whoop whoop it was totally empty. Got the friendliest immigration officer ever who decided to start a conversation on how much I looked like his friend (poor love must have a huge red nose as well, I thought!!) So outwardly I was saying to him ‘really, they do say there is a double for everybody’ but inwardly I was thinking ‘yes yes...get on with it, places to go people to see’!! So he took the photo the finger prints and gave DH’s alien forehead a glance and let us go. Cases came out quickly and got straight through customs. Kept the bags with us and got on the tram/monorail thingy and legged it to DME and was sitting on the bus within 20 mins of landing...RESULT.
Dropped off a couple at POFQ first then on to POR for us. Requested a room in the mansion buildings and asked for a quiet room well away from stairs and elevators. Yes no problem she said. Got to the room and it was right next to two sets of stairs and backed onto the elevator!! Oh well, too tired to bother to change and thought we’d see how it goes. It was fine for the first week then Thanks Giving week arrived and hence the crowds and it was noisy as everybody had to go past us to get to their rooms. But we coped. Just love POR. IMO it’s the prettiest resort with all its trees, bushes, river and green grass everywhere and lots of quiet pools. So relaxing. Plus the boat to DTD is great.

We had the QSDP and as we are vegetarian we find this is by far the best option for us. Highlights for us were......
Vege sushi in Epcot
Breakfast pocket at Wolfgang Puck DTD
Falafel Burger from Pollo Campero at DTD
Asian noodle salad from HS
Flat bread from CR
Pasta from POR food court
A couple of dishes from the Poly resort food court

We also booked Teppan Edo and this was the worst meal we have ever had in the 18 years we have been going to WDW! I am sure it’s fine if you aren’t vege but really do not bother if you are its dreadful.

We went to MVMCP and it was at capacity but we really enjoyed it this year. Thought the fireworks and the parade were wonderful.
We also went to the Candlelight Processional at Epcot with Gary Sinise being the guest speaker. Again totally loved it.
Our most fav day was at Kennedy where they have the new Atlantis exhibit. Well worth going to see this.

Observations wise...
Loved the magic bands and they worked like a dream the whole time.
Thought the parks were just a little bit untidy
Some of the cast members were not as friendly as normal
Lots of people not keeping to the designated smoking areas
The use of IPads etc to take photo’s was a pain in the back side as they constantly held them above their heads.
The negatives are just small ones and didn't really impact on our enjoyment.
Weather on the whole was good but we did have a cold front come through and it was positively COLD on about 3 of the nights with day time temps just about hitting 70 degrees. But it picked up.

A great holiday in which we took our time to smell the roses but did everything we wanted to do. Only just over 10 months until the next time!

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
flortlebap
Disneyiac!

Your landing story really made me LOL! That's exactly how DH and I are, it's like a sprint getting off the plane and we are planning on booking the same PE seats as you for a fast exit

Sounds like you had a fab time (besides the general lows which we have noticed too, but I don't think they're a huge negative impact)!
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
VailaTigger
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a fab trip!

Thanks for the veggie tips - always good to pick up a few more

I've never had an issue getting fed in WDW (I'm veggie too), whether counter service or table service. Haven't been to Teppan Edo - basically because all there is on the menu for non meat eaters is... vegetables... how interesting!
2010 - April, Pop Century, 2 weeks
2012 - September, Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 weeks honeymoon
VailaTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailaTigger View Post
Sounds like you had a fab trip!

Thanks for the veggie tips - always good to pick up a few more

I've never had an issue getting fed in WDW (I'm veggie too), whether counter service or table service. Haven't been to Teppan Edo - basically because all there is on the menu for non meat eaters is... vegetables... how interesting!
Apparently they used to do Tofu but said they took it off their menu! The vegetables were totally tasteless. We booked it as a Candlelight Processional dinner package. Hey ho you live and learn
another excellent veggie meal we had was the design your own taco's at Pop Century Resort. Really good selection of veggie food there we thought (for WDW anyway).
Our problem with being veggie, or should I say DH's problem, is that he doesn't like cheese! He eats more of it then he knows though!!!!

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
jen_uk
Eurovision Nut !!

Thanks for sharing

My dis buddy is Carolfoy
jen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

love your landing story
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
tinks_1989
need a like button

Couldn't agree more about I pads. I hate carrying mine around. I hate the quality of photos they give as well. X
tinks_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
jrparkin
Earning My Ears

I had to smile at the captain saying your flight would be 9 hours and 2 minutes!!

I'm glad you found POR the prettiest resort, that's where I'm staying too although unlike you I'm not making any room requests
jrparkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: