DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #91
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
I don't think there's any question it's a useful tool but it seems to go against DVC's designs for the online booking feature.

They could have allowed owners to see availability up to 11 months out for non-Home resorts. But they didn't. (Granted in this case it's just one resort.)

They could have allowed members to search unlimited dates at once. But they didn't.

They could have allowed members to search all resorts / room classes at once. But they didn't.

They could have allowed non-members to view DVC availability. But they didn't.

It clearly violates DVC's design principles and intent for the online booking feature. The only question is whether they care enough to bother shutting it down.
Focusing on the 7 month vs 11 month issues here (as I agree that DVC doesnt want us to see those if we dont own there) - ButI think we can all agree that the 7 month searching is different that the DVC website - but saying that its beyond their intent vs beyond their skill or even ideas is hard for me to say is true...it's possibly they found it too complicated to get those things done by the release date...
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #92
glvsav37
Mouseketeer

I have to say, the other cool aspect about this app is that I can see what other times of the year are heavy or light on inventory.

We can only travel in the summer for now, but this is useful to monitor for any trips in the future where we may be a lie to get away at another time of year.
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #93
DeDobber
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee View Post
personally for me this helped to convince me to buy 200 points. Before i bought i could not see the rooms available could not get a straight answer from the guides on how many or what types of rooms/views were available when i travelled. If you come on the forum you get mainly the doom and gloom of never being able to book.

Once I found out about this app i did about 1`0 mins worth of searches, and found out i would have little trouble booking what i wanted for roughly the dates i was looking for. To be honest it is a lot less gloomy than what people on here made it out to be, but worse than what the guides made it out to be as well.

Again without this app i wouldn't not have known and may have deceided it was not worth the trouble. Even thought i wasn't a member it was nice to know what could be booked before spending thousands on the points.

Thanks for such an awesome site.
I felt the same way about availability. Everyone on the boards talks about needing to be up at the crack of dawn to get your room booked at 7 months. I have found that to not be the case, although if you have one particular room type and one particular week, and that week is the Fourth of July or something, you will probably find your room booked.

I'm glad the app helped you with a purchase decision. For me, owning DVC seems like a great decision so far.
DeDobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #94
DVC Dude
Disney World Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel_disney View Post
Focusing on the 7 month vs 11 month issues here (as I agree that DVC doesnt want us to see those if we dont own there) - ButI think we can all agree that the 7 month searching is different that the DVC website - but saying that its beyond their intent vs beyond their skill or even ideas is hard for me to say is true...it's possibly they found it too complicated to get those things done by the release date...
I think if thee DVCapp could search 11 month availability it might convince me to buy VGF as right now, it appears that 7 month availability in a 1-2-3 bedroom si good, but studios go fast.
DVC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #95
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

I think that if I wanted to limit my exposure on this app, I would consider capping 7 months on any resort via code. I'm really not sure this will help once it hits someone's radar screen, but at least it will be defensible that it was a level playing field that all members had access to anyway. You still can't defend that a non-member can use it though.

Just some food for thought.

I still like the app. I just don't see it being able to stay up. I hope I'm wrong. I think. I admit I haven't thought it through enough to try to figure out if it's a disadvantage to owners for it to be out there. I admit I haven't seen anybody in this thread really give a reason of how it could hurt us but I'm not willing to concede that just yet.
WilsonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #96
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

The best I can come up with for harm to current owners is: more information for prospective renters can potentially reduce rental rates. Right now, I suspect some renters pay a premium for home-resort booking advantages in resorts/units/views/times that don't really require it. On the other hand, this tool might also go the other way: showing prospective renters that some things are still open well into a 7-month window, and they are not "too late" to rent from an owner.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #97
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
The best I can come up with for harm to current owners is: more information for prospective renters can potentially reduce rental rates. Right now, I suspect some renters pay a premium for home-resort booking advantages in resorts/units/views/times that don't really require it. On the other hand, this tool might also go the other way: showing prospective renters that some things are still open well into a 7-month window, and they are not "too late" to rent from an owner.
I really hope Disney leaves you web app alone. The only "damages" claim I can imagine is that because your app totally rocks for someone that is "hoping" a room will open up, they could claim that it devalues their (derogatory adjective omitted) "wait list" feature.

Okay... this is a nasty monstrous stretch IMO, totally devils advocate... and I have more faith in Disney than this, but if it were a different company, like a music/MPAA company, they might (wrongly IMO) argue that BECAUSE your app helps people get rooms that others have wait-listed, it (*choke*cough*) automates "stealing" availability from the typical member that's using their (totally *^#+@!) wait-list app. They should just buy your app and/or hire you!

Okay - I inserted plenty of phrases to clarify my feelings, but just in case someone gets riled up at such a fictitious portrayal of "stealing" rooms --- PLEASE remember to keep your posts polite so this thread stays positive ;-)
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #98
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDobber View Post
I just bought at GCAL, and had a bunch of banked points I had to use on pretty short notice. I was logging in every day to see what was coming available, particularly around Christmas. I got tired of logging in, so I automated it to check every 6 hours. I managed to get a 2BR for December 22nd-26th about a month ago.

Many people stress over getting the right dates on these forums, so I posted to a couple threads and got some feedback suggesting my tool might be of use to some of you. I've worked on it quite a bit in the last month, and now you can save searches and have it email you if it sees availability for the dates you're looking for. Would love additional feedback.

http://dvcapp.com

dvcapp.com
BRILLIANT! THANK YOU!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #99
goneviral
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDobber View Post

http://dvcapp.com

dvcapp.com

This is a wonderful app and I sincerely thank you for your contribution to the DVC community.
goneviral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #100
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Thanks to the awesome app, I was able to login for the first time to the DVC site today and book my first and last night for marathon weekend and adjust my normal room ressie, saving me SO much money! I don't mind switching resorts or rooms. Thank you!! :D

Staying at VGF our last night!
disneygirlinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #101
anna08
DIS Veteran

Have not been to the DVC boards in a while, and WOW! This is the best thing to come along since joining DVC for me. I hated how you couldn't even use the back function to barely modify an existing search on the DVC website. The time you have saved me is immense and I thank you!!

If anything, this makes me want to buy more points, as I can quickly see how many trips I could make to DVC properties in specific room types in the next 7 months, and that I'll need more points to accomplish that! When I see a 3 Br available, I think, who can I invite to go with us and make it more fun!

This is a HUGE positive for me as a member, and hoping it will be left to exist.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #102
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna08 View Post
I hated how you couldn't even use the back function to barely modify an existing search on the DVC website.
If I want to modify a search, I click on the "Change Your Search" link near the top of the "Select Your Resort" page. That takes me back to the "Check Availability" page with all of my search criteria still in place. I can then modify the original search and try again.

I was curious what would happen if I used the back button instead of clicking the "Change Your Search" link so I just tried it and it does exactly the same thing -- all of my search criteria is intact. Maybe it's your browser. I tested this with Firefox and it works fine. Otherwise, try clicking the "Change Your Search" link instead of the back button.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #103
anna08
DIS Veteran

Disney IT has not always been user friendly with Mac OS, which I attribute a lot of dysfunction to. This webpage reminds me of how ridiculous the DVC online reservation system is - that I should ever have to enter my children's ages after doing it once is annoying. Thank god I only have two kids!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #104
DVC Dude
Disney World Rocks!

I think DVCApp works too good.

I was notified that one of the nights for VGF in January was available around 1am (but I was sleeping) and by 745am the room was already booked.

My only hint was it was a studio non lake on a thursday within the next 60 days.

Hopefully someone here booked it.
DVC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #105
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorganS View Post
I really hope Disney leaves you web app alone. The only "damages" claim I can imagine is that because your app totally rocks for someone that is "hoping" a room will open up, they could claim that it devalues their (derogatory adjective omitted) "wait list" feature......(snip).....
I really don't think Disney cares about any "devaluation of the waitlist feature". I'm almost certain that the waitlist process was put in place to minimize calls to MS.

Anyone using the app should keep in mind that it is a snapshot in time. It is not real time (nor has the author claimed that it is). Also, it cannot tell you how many villas are available. All you know for sure is that at least one villa was available when the database was last populated by the app.

I do not think Disney / DVC will care about this app at all, unless it somehow interferes with other member's attempts to use the online booking engine (and they get multiple complaints about things like slow response or server too busy). That may happen if the repetitive searches necessary to populate the app's database slow down response time for others.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: