Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #196
Doulanobles
Earning My Ears

So thankful to have found this thread! My 13 yo son and I are going to be in the parks for 3 days next month. He has a wheat allergy and is lactose intolerant. Makes for difficult dining! The list at the beginning is very helpful but I think I will also contact the special needs dining for up to date info. I will be sure to post here if I get any helpful info from them. It's hard to be so limited with food, especially at DL, but we are determined to make the best of it.

Aloha!
Doulanobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #197
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulanobles View Post
I will also contact the special needs dining for up to date info.
Always a good idea. They no longer give physical lists, they tell you to check with the dinning location for most up to date information.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #198
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

I was at Disneyland for my very first visit yesterday. I had a good and a not-so-good experience, asking for GF food.

First the not-so-good - I'd read positive reviews about the GF options at DCA's Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta. I went at a slow time, 11:30 AM - no lunch crowd yet, the place was deserted. Apparently, the chef had also left, because 3 different counter-service CMs couldn't find the chef to go over the GF options available to me. The other 2 in my party had already gotten their lunches by this time, so I told the CMs to forget it and I'd just have a salad. There were 3 types of salad pre-made - one CM knew enough to tell me to have the Italian salad, as the other 2 weren't GF. They didn't offer to make me a GF salad of the other 2 varieties, either, despite just standing there with no one else in line. The salad was fine, but if I go back to DCA, I won't be going there again.

The next experience was much better - we needed a breather around 5:00 PM, and I needed to charge my phone. So we found a table in the lounge at the Carthay Circle restaurant and ordered drinks. The server seemed somewhat frazzled, but she was very willing to go ask the chef about GF options. She cleared the queso dish for me as being GF (and it was good). I had asked about the Vietnamese beef tacos - the chef told her the beef was already mixed with soy sauce that contained gluten. So I asked if any of the spring rolls could be made GF - the server told me the chef would use a rice roll, but instead they came out in lettuce wraps. Not a huge deal, as she pointed out that they added some fresh veggies and also some seasoning to the chicken. I thought they were quite tasty. My brother thought they were just fine. But at least I had an alternative. My brother and our friend had the chorizo flatbread (not GF) and really enjoyed it.

And of course, I enjoyed my Dole Whip, always GF.

My Disney Trip Reports:
A Big Blue World at AOA with the Fab Four - Nov. 2012 - AOA Finding Nemo suite
3 Weeks to plan a solo trip! - Nov. 2014 PTR
dreamseeker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #199
Doulanobles
Earning My Ears

Hmmm...so some good, some not so good experiences! I sent an email to disney about getting more info, but no reply as of yet. Made a reservation at blue bayou and noted the allergies so hopefully that will go smoothly!
Doulanobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #200
elamarca
Earning My Ears

Great information everyone and so helpful! This will be our first trip since my husband found out he's gluten intolerant. While he's nowhere near as sensitive as those with celiac, it's still a little nerve-wracking this time.

Question for those of you that have had good/bad experiences at the DLR while going gluten free. What would be the best or worst or both restaurant you found for gf folks? Thank you!
elamarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #201
Wonder2008
Mouseketeer

I just returned from 5 days at Disneyland. I am gluten-free (actually it's an intollerance, but I completely avoid it anyway). I was travelling with my sister who can not have any dairy. She is more easily accommodated at Walt Disney World, but for me personally, gluten-free is very easy at Disneyland. I will be happy to write more when I get a chance, in the next few days.

If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Robert
Wonder2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #202
Wonder2008
Mouseketeer

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3217492

I've started a trip report from our Disneyland trip in December - just click above. I will highlight where we ate each day, and what we ate.

I hope you enjoy it!

Robert

D23 Gold Charter Member
Walt Disney World Annual Passholder
Disneyland: Aug 2006, Jul 2007, Jun 2009, Dec 2013
Disney Wonder: Jul 2008, May 2009
Disney Dream: May 2011
Disney Magic: May 2014
Walt Disney World: I lost count!
Wonder2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #203
DawnFeiss
Jiminy Cricket #1

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm heading to Disneyland May 17-25 and it's the first time there with a very strong wheat allergy. I have gone many time to WDW and have enjoyed my food option and now it seems I might be able to do the same I'm land. When I get back I will write about it
DawnFeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #204
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Is there a list on this thread of all the GF eateries the OP visited? I'm taking notes but don't want to miss one.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #205
DawnFeiss
Jiminy Cricket #1

This is all great info. But has anyone had success at Universal?
DawnFeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #206
lisachrystine
Mouseketeer

Gluten free at Disney? There's an app for that!

When I mentioned at one of the restaurants that I was disappointed in the lack of a GF list, they told me to go get the app! So, I couldn't find an official app (though Disney should get on that - so much easier to keep updated than the printed list), but I did find one on iTunes. Google Disneyland Gluten Free App. Unfortunately, for me, I have an Android, so it didn't help, but the reviews indicate that this could be a great starting point for those of you with iPhones.

Also, beware the ranch dressing (for now at least). My daughter (with Celiac) was given ranch dressing at Ariel's and told it was gluten free. The next day at Blue Bayou, they wouldn't give it to her, saying the formula has changed and while it used to be, it is no longer gluten free. I put in an email to guest services to complain/clarify. The chef said it contained yeast, which may or may not be gluten free depending on exactly what the ingredient was. Obviously, one of them was wrong. Until I get a response on my email, if you are going soon, there seems to be some confusion on the ranch dressing.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #207
Speechphi
Mouseketeer

Thx for the info about the app! We are heading to DLR on Sunday for a week (!), so I'll have to check that out

countless trips to Disneyland growing up...1977, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000

trips with DH , DS 9 , DD 8 , & DD 6
6/2010 Desert Inn & Suites , 11/2011 Portofino, 6/2013 Fairfield Inn, 6/2014 PPH, 12/2014 PPH
Speechphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #208
Disney Dider
Mouseketeer

I don't think that app exists anymore.

Disneyland Adventures:
1989,1990,1993,1996,1998,2003,2005,2007,2007,2008, 2009,2010, and soon to be June 2011!!!
Disney Dider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #209
jina
Mouseketeer

the Find me Gluten free app has quite a few entries in it for Disneyland.

I am very sensitive and never had a reaction for any of the GF meals I had. After 8 years of being GF (which resolved decades of health issues) I do occasionally eat gluten now (after discovering the Gluten Ease 2x enzyme) as I do not get a reaction when I use the enzymes, but I only save that for when I can't find suitable GF food. The only place I've ever decided to use the enzymes at DL is at Goofy's Kitchen - the selection was way too small and there were way too many gluten things that I would have preferred so I took a chance on the enzymes and had no reaction.

I've been to DL twice since going GF (Feb 2013 and Mar 2014) and here is a quick summary of my findings:

Disneyland Resort:

Tomorrowland Red Rockett's Pizza Port: order the gluten free shell directly from the chef who comes out to take your order. Takes about 20 min but great pizza. When we were there in Feb 2013 they used the wonderful Venice Bakery crust which is by far the best GF pizza crust out there. We were very disappointed in WDW last Fall as they only use Udis which is OK but in the same league as Venice Bakery.

New Orleans Square:

Blue Bayou - make a reservation and get there early (20 min) and ask if you can wait for waterside (so you have a great view of the Pirates of the Caribbean boats). I had the salmon and DH had the jambalaya - both were great. GF rolls were ok but a nice touch.

Frontierland:

Rancho del Zocalo: wonderful mexican counter service. DH, myself and DD4 split a roasted chicken meal w/ rice, beans & salsa and corn tortillas. Very filling and delicious too - and I live in CA where we have very high expectations for Mexican food.

Critter Country:

Hungry Bear Restaurant: We ordered burgers on GF buns, a grilled chicken salad and the sweet potato fries. All were fine - nothing to write home about but it's always nice to have a burger w/ an actual bun! Next time we'll get a table on the water.

Main Street:

Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor - manager will take your order and prepare it with clean gloves and an unopened ice cream container. We had a hot fudge sundae on mint chocolate chip ice cream. The fudge was kind of light so we asked for more and they gave us a bunch in a separate bowl. Very yummy!

We also had a caramel apple from the candy store next door which has no gluten ingredients and we had no reaction. They make them on site and at the time there were no cookie crumb dipped apples around so we were at less of a chance for cross contamination.

What we'll be trying next trip:
- Big Thunder Mountain Ranch BBQ

CA Adventure

Ariel's Grotto Princess Lunch: I've heard they've changed the format since we went in Feb 2013 but at that time we got a nice gluten free antipasto tower to share, I got steak, DH salmon. Food was just OK but DD loved all the princess interactions- even though she can eat gluten we ordered the FG pasta for her which was kind of gross - pad thai style rice noodles with a flavorless sauce. Same ok GF rolls as Blue Bayou (probably ener-G). We will be coming back here to try the breakfast in August - does anyone know what the GF options are?

Flo's Cafe (CarsLand): loved this place. Same ok GF rolls but we had plates of turkey and beef w/ veggies, rice and I think mashed potatoes. And the milkshakes were fabulous. We got a table in the shade outside with a view of Radiator Springs Racers.

Cocina Cucamunga - counter service Mexican. Good stuff- not quite as good as the place at DL but still worthy. We ate there in Feb 2013 so I don't recall exactly what we had- I think it was probably the same as DL - roasted chicken w/ beans, rice and corn tortillas.

Resort Hotels:

Goofy's Kitchen dinner: I had intended to be GF here but there were just too few options that interested me. They had probably 20 different desserts and the only one that was GF (other than fresh fruit) was soft serve ice cream. I took enzymes. The gluten food was just OK also - the character interactions were good for DD and she can eat gluten so she was as happy as a clam. I preferred my GF meal at Ariel's Grotto if you are looking for a character meal with better food. I've also heard Storyteller's Cafe in Grand Californian is good food but they don't have as many mainstream characters to meet.

Downtown Disney:

Tortilla Joe's - (they have a table service and counter service, we did counter service). This place made me nervous but I did not get a reaction. I had to really talk everyone through every step for making the corn quesadilla and buritto bowl - the staff did not seem all that competent at even handling the gluten food - the line stretched out the door and it seemed to take 5 min per customer to order. I would not return. (note: we were there on a Saturday night but still...)

Rainforest Cafe: We always love coming to Landry's restaurants because the chef comes out and can alter many items to be GF. This last time the food was not as good as usual but we'll still be back. T-Rex at WDW on teh other hand had some incredible food. If you know you are going to go here but not make a reservation, join Landry's Select and the registration fee is credited back to your meal. Virtually no waiting. Bubba Gump's at Citywalk is also a Landry's restaurant.

Next trip we will be trying the Ralf Brennen's Jazz Kitchen Sunday brunch and if we like that we'll likely make another reservation for later on our trip for dinner. I've read a few reviews that they have good GF options.

Anaheim Citywalk (10 min walk from park gates)

Bubba Gumps - we ordered take out to eat back at our hotel kitchen (Marriott Residence Inn Maingate which is right around the corner). Excellent fresh and healthy food. We had grilled fish, grilled shrimp, veggies, rice and I think a baked potato.

Citywalk also has a Roy's (order the chocolate souffle!) and PF Changs both which we frequent regularly when traveling and both have great safe GF options.
jina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #210
Haymak
Mouseketeer

I just downloaded the app yesterday and it is called Gluten Free Disney Dining and I think it was 1.99. I have an iPhone, I am not sure if its available on other devices.
Haymak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: