Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Canadian here.......In the stores the Xmas decore is out right after Halloween.

We generally put the tree up on my bday, (Dec 1st). As other have said, the rule of thumb is to wait til after nov11 remembrance day to deck the halls.

When I was a kid, we use to put our tree up a couple weeks before xmas. Sometimes one week before. I even remember on xmas eve! But that was ages ago. over the last decade or so its been earlier and earlier. My bday is the norm thou, sometimes a week after that.

Happy late birthday then! Funny, I also have a December birthday and while the exact time we put the tree up varies, my "rule" is it HAS to go up before my birthday, otherwise it does not feel right on my birthday.
DD's birthday is the day after Christmas, and you dao't dare try to take down the tree on her birthday--it doesn't feel like her birthday to her without Christmas decor either
Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
In Italy the traditional day to decorate is December 8 (Immaculate Conception), and everything comes down at Epiphany.
and that is MY birthday. I loved it when I lived in Spain and it was a national holiday. I notice it is a much bigger deal in Southern cultures, than up north (everything involving Mary is bigger in Southern Europe and Latin America, actually).

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #32
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I loved it when I lived in Spain and it was a national holiday. I notice it is a much bigger deal in Southern cultures, than up north (everything involving Mary is bigger in Southern Europe and Latin America, actually).
Including using her name in vain!
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #33
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Actually now that you mention it, I know a lot of ppl decorate the tree right after the toronto santa clause parade. Which is typically after remembrance day anyway.
Yes, the Toronto Santa Claus Parade was the weekend after Remembrance Day this year.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #34
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

In Singapore decorations go up in the stores and on the main road in early November. I have seen a Christmas tree up on Orchard Road as early as mid October. I personally do the Sunday after Thanksgiving but since I'm in the US at the moment, this coming Sunday will have to do.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
TXmas Eve is also when you put your candles in the window (which in the west of Ireland, especially, is the most important decoration.)
Candles (electric) is big in our area, too. But I think with us it's a Moravian (protestant church that originated in Germany) tradition.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the wishes! Honestly, I hate decorating the tree. Love xmas, but hate decorating. The tree from last year is still decked out, its sitting in a corner in the basement. All I have to do is bring it upstairs and voila! All done. Yes i'm late with the tree this year. Oops.
Generally I will decorate first thing on my bday, then carry on with my bday festivities.

I'm not very experienced in tree decorating so I can't weigh in on like or dislike. Our sons (2) always decorated when they were young. We would go and *harvest one and bring it home. Dh would put in in the holder string the lights while I'd be making dinner. Just seemed to evolve that way.

Our sons each have 7yr olds and the tradition of the kids decorating continues.(except lights & more delicate decorations).

*Dniece's dh uses this term & I've adopted it. He's a foreman in the forestry service in BC. Canada.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #37
joanne7891
Earning My Ears

We put ours up yesterday (2nd) but that's because it's a fake tree. We usually get a real tree so it would normally be later. I'm in the UK.
joanne7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #38
Paradise18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandynd View Post
Our tradition here is after December 1. I HATE seeing anything Christmas right after Halloween. Remembrance Day should be observed before anything, and then give it a bit of breathing room before the marketing hype ramps up again.
x2. I live in Canada.
Paradise18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #39
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

Last year we didn't put up a tree. I have a lot of handmade ornaments that I have made. I love to see them but hate putting up the tree. This year I will have to put up the tree. I usually put it up the weekend before Christmas and put it away shortly after. We don't have anything going on after Christmas so need to keep it up. I have to do both the putting up and the taking down by myself as no one helps. They all want it up but don't want to help put it up. Too much work for me.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: